Victoza temperature.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I live in a cold house. We only heat the rooms we are in. The nurse advised that if I use victoza straight out of the fridge then it can be painful to inject.
How low is too low to inject without pain?

Also I was told to put the needle in at a 90 degree angle, but can I inject lying down into my belly?

Lastly, am I meant to get liquid to the tip of the needle every time I inject? Or is it just the first time I'm meant to prime it?

Reactions: erinadatatham96

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
as far as temperature is concerned usually keep in fridge until open then can be kept at room Temperature as long as your heated rooms are not kept overly hot should be OK to keep as long s not in direct heat as to your technique for injecting I rarely use belly but I Pinch the Fat and inject vertically 90degrees I pinch so as to avoid any organs I would suggest you try using you thigh for injections I think you only need to get the liquid to the top of the needle to get rid of any air so I always look to see if their are any Bubbles in the liquid usually if you hold pen with the needle pointing up then slowly turn it so its pointing down you will see any bubbles move also Gently Tap the syringe f you are still Worried ask your Diabetic Nurse or Hospital to show you It Is Their Job after all

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I use victoza.
Occasionally i find it stings when taken straight out of the fridge.
If I leave it out for awhile, I tended to forget to inject

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I use victoza.
Occasionally i find it stings when taken straight out of the fridge.
If I leave it out for awhile, I tended to forget to inject
The following from
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/victoza-temperature.133208/#post-1678808

Storing unopened injection pens: Store in the refrigerator. Do not freeze Victoza, and throw away the medication if it has become frozen. Do not use an unopened injection pen if the expiration date on the label has passed.

Storing after your first use: You may keep "in-use" injection pens in the refrigerator or at room temperature. Protect the pens from moisture, heat, and sunlight. Use within 30 days. Remove the needle before storing an injection pen, and keep the cap on the pen when not in use.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
The following from
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/victoza-temperature.133208/#post-1678808

Storing unopened injection pens: Store in the refrigerator. Do not freeze Victoza, and throw away the medication if it has become frozen. Do not use an unopened injection pen if the expiration date on the label has passed.

Storing after your first use: You may keep "in-use" injection pens in the refrigerator or at room temperature. Protect the pens from moisture, heat, and sunlight. Use within 30 days. Remove the needle before storing an injection pen, and keep the cap on the pen when not in use.
I understand all what you have put.
It was in the early days when I used to forget once I took it out of the fridge. It was my DN that said to leave out for a maximum of an hour.
That's why I now inject straight away. A bit of the occasional sting it worth it.
It have often wondered though, when victoza is ordered by the pharmacy, I would imagine the victoza is in carriage over an hour before delivery. Also I have my meds delivered by the pharmacy, I know the driver leaves approx 9am and by the time it is delivered to me, it's always around 11.30am. So that's Un refrigerated over an hour. I also know the delivery car has no refrigerated compartment.

Reactions: Struma

Rabra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My chemist stores my Victosa in the fridge, and I inject straight from the fridge.
I've felt it a bit nippy on occasion, but not every time.

I wouldn't think priming is necessary, it was never mentioned to me.

Breck Lundin

It have often wondered though, when victoza is ordered by the pharmacy, I would imagine the victoza is in carriage over an hour before delivery. Also I have my meds delivered by the pharmacy, I know the driver leaves approx 9am and by the time it is delivered to me, it's always around 11.30am. So that's Un refrigerated over an hour. I also know the delivery car has no refrigerated compartment.

I know this is a necro posting but here in the US meds like Victoza or others needing refrigeration are sent in styrofoam boxes with frozen cooler packs. Insulin is another example. So no reason not to confirm with a pharmacy, still i wouldn't worry about it much, many meds has similar requirements.