DVLA

Pmerrill

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are taking any tablets, like Gliclazide that can cause hypos you do have to inform DVLA.

Cheers JohnJ, I think the original post said Type 1 so I hadn’t considered gliclazide. But yes I think you’re right if you are on tablets you have to inform DVLA

A

Australia 1

Cheers JohnJ, I think the original post said Type 1 so I hadn’t considered gliclazide. But yes I think you’re right if you are on tablets you have to inform DVLA

@Pmerrill, I am now a Type 1 and the Australian Doctors have me on Insulin and I am now getting good counsel on “Pumps”. I suppose you kind people are speaking of your Drivers license and Diabetes and the Government Driving Department is called DVLA.

This is my Question. Metformin was the first Diabectic Drug I ever took. I took that for 2 years and then I was prescribed Gliclazide. I now recall this well. No insulin at all. I had Cancer that Started as Lymphoma and Radiation was the first course in 2004. Then I get Melanoma and the Diabectic date stated around February 2014. This was Type 2 Diabetes. Then the Lymphoma took off like a rabbit and 9 Courses off Chemotherapy started. It was very hard. I took a lot of Prednisone in this treatment. They left me on Gliclazide but started me on 10 Units of Novorapid for 3x a day and super low Carb meal. By the Time I got out of that Hospital I was on 2 Tablets of the Pills and a new Regime of Novorapid. In The United Kingdom if you take anything at all for a Diabectic treatment that became as a mark on your Driving record for the rest of your life, is my understanding correct Gentleman??????
Cheers and thank you Sir.
Sam.

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are taking any tablets, like Gliclazide that can cause hypos you do have to inform DVLA.

I am on insulin and you get a 3 year licence but big issue you have to test every 2 hours driving and must be over 5.5 or take action to raise to 5.5 or over and wait 45 minutes.

I have mentioned in another thread that a diabetic lost their licence when police checked their monitor! The police can insist they see your monitor.

When I spoke to insurance company there was no extra charges as they said it is monitored by the DVLA and police. You sign a contract with DVLA, I read the small print and it does say you must test constantly.

Also on replaced licence I can no longer drive a 7.5 ton lorry! So can restrict any driving job, I know a guy who lost his job as a coach driver.

Do check all insurance and other legal aspects, you know how companies will use any 'small print' statement against you!
im a type 1 diabetic i got a letter stating ive lost my 3.5 ton / 7.5 ton classes but i can re apply for these classes at my expence !

Lordy100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not many things
im a type 1 diabetic i got a letter stating ive lost my 3.5 ton / 7.5 ton classes but i can re apply for these classes at my expence !
You can get yr C & D categories back but have to pass a medical and yr consultant has to complete a questionnaire. You also have to demonstrate regular blood testing over a 3 month period. I got my licence reinstated but then lost them on the annual reassessment because I had gaps in my testing. I don't drive professionally.

Pmerrill

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
@Pmerrill, I am now a Type 1 and the Australian Doctors have me on Insulin and I am now getting good counsel on “Pumps”. I suppose you kind people are speaking of your Drivers license and Diabetes and the Government Driving Department is called DVLA.

This is my Question. Metformin was the first Diabectic Drug I ever took. I took that for 2 years and then I was prescribed Gliclazide. I now recall this well. No insulin at all. I had Cancer that Started as Lymphoma and Radiation was the first course in 2004. Then I get Melanoma and the Diabectic date stated around February 2014. This was Type 2 Diabetes. Then the Lymphoma took off like a rabbit and 9 Courses off Chemotherapy started. It was very hard. I took a lot of Prednisone in this treatment. They left me on Gliclazide but started me on 10 Units of Novorapid for 3x a day and super low Carb meal. By the Time I got out of that Hospital I was on 2 Tablets of the Pills and a new Regime of Novorapid. In The United Kingdom if you take anything at all for a Diabectic treatment that became as a mark on your Driving record for the rest of your life, is my understanding correct Gentleman??????
Cheers and thank you Sir.
Sam.

Hi Sam

My apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I must admit I really don't know, I can really only speak of my own expreience and have no idea about policies outside of the UK.

I guess in the event that your medicine is notifiable to the DVLA (yes this is the agency that deals with licencing in the UK) then by default that will become a permanent record as you then get issued a special driving licence which is renewable every 3 years. I think this is the same for all insulin controlled diabetics and there may be even more restrictions if you've needed medical assistance for Hypos. In addition T1 Diabetes is most definitely for life and therefore I'm always going to have to re-apply for my licence and notify the DVLA as to what meds I'm on.

All the best

Pete