Reversed diabetes

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
dont go over the top. its in remission you have not cured it. you must still be careful.

Yes, I've seen that opinion.
To me, it's a bit like getting the girlfriend pregnant.
Once the kid is born, she's no longer pregnant.
Now, I agree there is going to be someone running around reminding you she was pregnant once, and I reckon things are different, but I don't think I'd say she is in remission from pregnancy.
And we've got a pretty good idea what caused it in the first place, and, yes, it certainly has the possibility of repeating if we're not careful, but for now, life is good, so I reckon I'm ok with reversed.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I can get down to non-diabetic levels, but if I don't watch what I eat, or if I'm ill or severely stressd, then those figues can and do bounce back up again into pre-diabetes. And I've had four years experience of such goings on with my levels now... so as far as I'm concerned the advice to take care is both sensible and sound. Whatever triggered the diabetes in the first place may well still be there, as it is with pregnancy - just because someone's given birth once doesn't mean it can't happen again - given the right (or wrong!) conditions ... :eek:

Robbity

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It must also very disheartening if a newly diagnosed condition warrants medication that raises levels and takes you out of the "reversed" state (for want of a better description) and potentially back into diabetic territory when there is nothing you can do about it because you are already doing everything necessary to maintain a "reversed" state.

Reactions: Happyhomelands

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe we all like to think we're reversed on here.

My definition is that I don't have diabetes.
I don't take drugs.
I eat all the normal range of foods.
I have blood glucose in the normal range.
I don't have any complications.
The doc is happy with me every time, and has been for a few years, but just convinced me to go drug free.

I agree I don't stuff food down anymore, and I lost weight.
So, I suppose if I do decide to get back on 4000 calories a day, and sit in one spot for the rest of my life, my health will most likely go down again.

I think I tend to see avoiding carbs like some one with hay fever, and deciding to live in one of those plastic bubbles, and avoiding pollen for the rest of their lives, and cracking on about how good filtered air is for you.
That's not reversed if you sneeze your head off every time you get fresh air or your bubble pops.
I guess if I do become 'unreversed' without putting the gut back on, I'll be buying my own bubble then.
Hopefully it'll be a good few years, and I won't be driving, and having a tachograph telling me where and when to eat.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
your clearly better than the rest of us. you carry on how you want. when it comes back and bites you hard we will be hear to sympathies.

Reactions: AnnieH 2

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
your clearly better than the rest of us. you carry on how you want. when it comes back and bites you hard we will be hear to sympathies.

You're really bitter aren't you?
Are you that upset someone seems to have got it right for themselves, and you haven't?

Don't worry though, I've met loads of bright boys like you, so I won't worry about you.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
not bitter just relistic diabetes does not go away. it always comes back. enjoy it whilst its not active but relise it will always be there.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
not bitter just relistic diabetes does not go away. it always comes back. enjoy it whilst its not active but relise it will always be there.

Tell you what then, you can feel sorry for me when I come back, I'll feel sorry for you now if that's what you think.
We can all live in fear of tomorrow, if I worried about what was around every corner, I'd never pull the wagon out of the yard.

To me, if it quacks like a duck, if looks like a duck, if it swims like duck, it's fair to guess it's a duck, not the grim reaper at a fancy dress party.

PekkaJ

Reactions: dwnunder

dwnunder

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Big mouths
The Virta Health is very impressive. There's a great team running it Stephen phinney, Jeff Volek and Sarah Hallberg just to name a few. I watched a video that Dr Sarah Hallberg did not long ago and if you can get over her strange voice and are able to listen to her then she knows her stuff particularly on cholesterol. I am so glad that more people are getting in to LCHF it's changing lives and if you can throw in some IF too you can even get better results.

Dark Horse

Yes, I've seen that opinion.
To me, it's a bit like getting the girlfriend pregnant.
Once the kid is born, she's no longer pregnant.
Now, I agree there is going to be someone running around reminding you she was pregnant once, and I reckon things are different, but I don't think I'd say she is in remission from pregnancy.
And we've got a pretty good idea what caused it in the first place, and, yes, it certainly has the possibility of repeating if we're not careful, but for now, life is good, so I reckon I'm ok with reversed.
Don't forget that Public Health England say:-
Current evidence shows that all people with diabetes should be screened for diabetic retinopathy for life once there has been a definite diagnosis of diabetes, excluding gestational diabetes.
https://phescreening.blog.gov.uk/20...dont-slip-through-diabetic-eye-screening-net/

In other words, you should still continue to have annual diabetic eye screening whether you define yourself as 'reversed', 'resolved' or 'in remission'.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't forget that Public Health England say:-
Current evidence shows that all people with diabetes should be screened for diabetic retinopathy for life once there has been a definite diagnosis of diabetes, excluding gestational diabetes.
https://phescreening.blog.gov.uk/20...dont-slip-through-diabetic-eye-screening-net/

In other words, you should still continue to have annual diabetic eye screening whether you define yourself as 'reversed', 'resolved' or 'in remission'.

Yes thnks
I'm still getting all the checkups, including the eyes, in fact since dropping the meds, the doc has me in every three months at the moment for blood tests as well.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, as an introduction, after a fair bit of effort, and lurking on here for a while, I'm pleased to say my hba1c is level at around 35 to 36 for a while now, and I've just been taken of all meds.

So, it does seen to be possible.
Well done - great work! Can I ask what was your hba1c on diagnosis and how long did it take you to get to 35/36? Are you low carbing? Love hearing of others' successes!

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jcbman well done! I too am interested to know what your result was on diagnosis and how long it's taken you. Were you ever on medication? Metformin? Thank you

Reactions: pcs63