Type 2 Smoking

taxi lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey all.. Just wondered if anyone else has managed to bring levels down without giving up smoking.. Just read that it's hard without doing so.. now I've stopped drinking.. gave up all sugary foods.. smoking is my only vice.. I know I need to give up but one step at a time.. has anyone manage to bring levels down whilst still smoking..
Many thanks taxi lee

Reactions: karen8967

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You've heard it countless time before, but you really should pack in.
Take this opportunity to turn things around once and for all.
Me and many others have done a lot of damage.
Try vaping to start with?

Reactions: hooose and taxi lee

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't think smoking directly influenced blood sugar levels. I thought diabetics had to quit even more urgent than non-diabetics because smoking and diabetes gives you an XXL risk of problems with heart and blood vessels.

Reactions: taxi lee

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
It seems nicotine can raise blood sugar levels I do smoke and have still brought my BS under control. But am definitely going to try packing it in again hopefully for good this time.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
mate you need to stop it shoots the risks way up. vapping as some said is a good first step. you can get lots of support if you choose.

taxi lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all.. yes I know I need to stop.. and plan on doing so.. Just one step at a time.. getting used to no alcohol and low carbs has taken getting used too.. so quiting is next on the agenda

Reactions: Antje77

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you Google stopping smoking + blood sugar levels you will find evidence that stopping smoking actually causes a rise in BS levels even when there is no weight gain and the diet remains the same. It could be something to do with the nicotine withdrawal causing stress on the body.

mushmonster

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, it doesn't affect blood sugar levels directly but it does indirectly. I have never known anybody who managed to take their blood sugar levels under control without not giving it up. Just take your chance and give it up now :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes, it doesn't affect blood sugar levels directly but it does indirectly. I have never known anybody who managed to take their blood sugar levels under control without not giving it up. Just take your chance and give it up now :)
I just said that's what I have done so you know of at least one me.