Anyone bodybuilding and on a pump?

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

As the title is anyone here bodybuilding and on a pump rather then MDI injections, if so what are your experiences?

Do you getting better control?
Is diet easier to manage on a pump?
Does the pump come in the way of specific exercises?
I'm think of looking into the Omnipod, has anyone used one?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@O_DP_T1 . Unfortunately I can't offer any advice but I'll tag @johnpol who I believe might be able to offer something.
I've not spotted him on the forum recently but he may reply.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
ump and find it useful when doing resistance training. You can be more flexible with your insulin e.g. drip in a little more insulin if you are doing a heavy session and not risk a hypo rather than having to put in a big corrective dose (if like me your blood sugar goes up when you do weights) and you can vary your basal on an hourly basis for the rest of the day in case of any bg crashes . I think if your blood sugars are smoother, you are probably going to get a better response to your training. Its not a magic bullet just a tool though!

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The pump gives great flexibility with all the eating you have to do , doesn't make dieting any easier tho. I found when I dieted with the pump you have to keep a more closer watch on your BS as you may experience more lows as it is a continuous drip of insulin. If you want to utilise the anabolic window after training you can run a temp ratio, but again close eye on BS, it isn't a magic bullet but it is a more flexible tool. And I find the canula doesn't get in the way with any exercises, hope this helps you and good luck with your training

doyco385

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey @O_DP_T1 ,

Im training in olympic weightlifting (snatch and clean and jerk) so similar to body building!

Im using a pump, an animas vibe (soon to change though as they aren't being funded anymore) and find that it makes life incredibly easy when it comes to weightlifting. My training sessions are always high intensity so always use a 30% decrease in basal rates, starting 30 minutes before training begins and lasts for 4 hours (2 hours of training and 1 hour post training). When it comes to my post training meal (I normally have a Dunn's river nourishment milk - 50-60g of carbs and 20g protein) I do my normal bolus to cover this with no decrease and I sit pretty stable around 6-7mmol/L. One issue I am finding is that my blood sugars rise during the night so for me its just a case of adjusting my basals to this I think. Diet is a lot easier on the pump for me and my control is a lot better compared to when I didn't have the pump.

In terms of exercises, the pump doesn't get in the way for me. However, when I use a weightlifting belt it can be a little troublesome as I keep my pump clipped onto my shorts and the belt pushes down on it a bit. What i've been doing to get around this though is simply clip it onto the belt itself, the clip pushes into my side a little but its not painful, just a little uncomfortable but nothing compared to how my legs feel so it doesn't phase me.

I'd say the pump would be a good option for you but out of curiosity, what sort of training are you doing? How many times a week and what sort of regime?

Reactions: Westley

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @O_DP_T1 ,

Im training in olympic weightlifting (snatch and clean and jerk) so similar to body building!

Im using a pump, an animas vibe (soon to change though as they aren't being funded anymore) and find that it makes life incredibly easy when it comes to weightlifting. My training sessions are always high intensity so always use a 30% decrease in basal rates, starting 30 minutes before training begins and lasts for 4 hours (2 hours of training and 1 hour post training). When it comes to my post training meal (I normally have a Dunn's river nourishment milk - 50-60g of carbs and 20g protein) I do my normal bolus to cover this with no decrease and I sit pretty stable around 6-7mmol/L. One issue I am finding is that my blood sugars rise during the night so for me its just a case of adjusting my basals to this I think. Diet is a lot easier on the pump for me and my control is a lot better compared to when I didn't have the pump.

In terms of exercises, the pump doesn't get in the way for me. However, when I use a weightlifting belt it can be a little troublesome as I keep my pump clipped onto my shorts and the belt pushes down on it a bit. What i've been doing to get around this though is simply clip it onto the belt itself, the clip pushes into my side a little but its not painful, just a little uncomfortable but nothing compared to how my legs feel so it doesn't phase me.

I'd say the pump would be a good option for you but out of curiosity, what sort of training are you doing? How many times a week and what sort of regime?

If you want the best advice on weight lifting, Join Diabetic Muscle & Fitness on Facebook.

Reactions: doyco385

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers for all the info guys much appreciated.

@doyco385 so I'm not training 'professionally' or anything like that I'm just very dedicated I have been into body building since about 17 am 43 now so been training regularly since then, as you know it helps to control the sugar levels so a double bonus.

Current routine, been on it for about 6 months looks like this,I like to try different things to stop the body guessing:-

Based on 5x5

Day 1 Biceps/Triceps and abs
Day 2 Legs/Shoulders and abs
Day 3 Back/Chest and abs
Day 4 Cardio and abs

Each workout lasts about 1.5 -2 hrs and starts with a about 10mins light cardio for a warm up.

How do you guys bolus for protein rich meals? I have recently switched from 30/70 twice a day insulin to MDI and am still finding my feet.

Last edited:

doyco385

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cheers for all the info guys much appreciated.

@doyco385 so I'm not training 'professionally' or anything like that I'm just very dedicated I have been into body building since about 17 am 43 now so been training regularly since then, as you know it helps to control the sugar levels so a double bonus.

Current routine, been on it for about 6 months looks like this,I like to try different things to stop the body guessing:-

Based on 5x5

Day 1 Biceps/Triceps and abs
Day 2 Legs/Shoulders and abs
Day 3 Back/Chest and abs
Day 4 Cardio and abs

Each workout lasts about 1.5 -2 hrs and starts with a about 10mins light cardio for a warm up.

How do you guys bolus for protein rich meals? I have recently switched from 30/70 twice a day insulin to MDI and am still finding my feet.
Im not training professionally either @O_DP_T1 - just passing on what I do so you can take on board what you like. Honestly though make sure you are eating pre and post meals and I'd suggest talking with a dietitian around this if you haven't already. It makes a huge difference with blood glucose control and also strength and muscle bulk increases!