Different GP's and different opinions....

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
Remember that the OGTT is not valid unless you have been eating a normal level of carbs for 2 weeks before the test. Anyone who eats "low carb" for a long time, their body "forgets" how to process carbs, this includes people who have never had type2.

But getting up to 17 is very impressive!
What do you mean " anyone who eats low carb their body forgets how to process carbs". What happens? Is it good or bad?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What do you mean " anyone who eats low carb their body forgets how to process carbs". What happens? Is it good or bad?

Firstly it is a none issue, as a few meals with normal carbs "correct" it. It is unfair testing how the body copes with a type of food, it has not had to cope with for a long time. It like asking me to resit my A-level maths after I have used little of the maths for 30 years. But get me using the maths for a few weeks, and I would have a better chance of passing.

Our cells contain different chemicals that turn both glucose and fat into ATP. It's the ATP that the cells use for energy. When our insulin levels are low, glucose is not able to get into our cells as fast, hence our cells tend to use more fat as energy. Our cells adjust their ability to use glucose and fat over time based on what they are "running on" by changing how much of these chemicals are stored.

We could just as well say that someone who has eaten high carb meals for many weeks is defective at processing fat.....

(A low carb diet results in a low insulin level, as well as low BG.)

Bluebell_GB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Remember that the OGTT is not valid unless you have been eating a normal level of carbs for 2 weeks before the test. Anyone who eats "low carb" for a long time, their body "forgets" how to process carbs, this includes people who have never had type2.

But getting up to 17 is very impressive!

Agreed, I upped my carb intake to over 150g per day for 4 days before the test. It was lovely!

Regards

Bluebell

Reactions: Alison Campbell

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
Firstly it is a none issue, as a few meals with normal carbs "correct" it. It is unfair testing how the body copes with a type of food, it has not had to cope with for a long time. It like asking me to resit my A-level maths after I have used little of the maths for 30 years. But get me using the maths for a few weeks, and I would have a better chance of passing.

Our cells contain different chemicals that turn both glucose and fat into ATP. It's the ATP that the cells use for energy. When our insulin levels are low, glucose is not able to get into our cells as fast, hence our cells tend to use more fat as energy. Our cells adjust their ability to use glucose and fat over time based on what they are "running on" by changing how much of these chemicals are stored.

We could just as well say that someone who has eaten high carb meals for many weeks is defective at processing fat.....

(A low carb diet results in a low insulin level, as well as low BG.)
Thanks for the reply Ringo. Although I have been diabetic for around 5 years it is only now having read the blood sugar diet that I'm finally being proactive. I naively followed the advice that the doctor and dn told me. That it was a progressive condition and I couldn't do anything to change it. I even went on a Desmond or daphne course..I can't remember which and although they stressed that we should eat low gi carbs we were still told to eat carbs at every meal.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well still waiting for the results of the OGTT

I tested at 1 hour and got 11.7 , then again when I got home after they sucked the 2 hour sample out of my arm. I live less than a 5 minute walk from the surgery so it was at about 2 hours 10 minutes after glugging the glucose and I got a 7.5

Interesting to see what the “official” results come back with.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

I tested at 1 hour and got 11.7 , then again when I got home after they sucked the 2 hour sample out of my arm. I live less than a 5 minute walk from the surgery so it was at about 2 hours 10 minutes after glugging the glucose and I got a 7.5

I'd be concerned if any of my none diabetic family gave a meter reading of 7.5 after 2hrs @britishpub .
Would you be shocked if it comes back 'still diabetic'?

Prepare your mind, just in case. I'm not any better as distinguishing the OGTT as any other man on the street but..........it would be lovely to see you 'permanently resolved' thou!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Endo would know for sure! Especially mine. He sees low carb but doesn't sanction it. He sees its results but I know he won't jeopardize his job like some other drs.
He might one day but he definitely listens.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd be concerned if any of my none diabetic family gave a meter reading of 7.5 after 2hrs @britishpub .
Would you be shocked if it comes back 'still diabetic'?

Prepare your mind, just in case. I'm not any better as distinguishing the OGTT as any other man on the street but..........it would be lovely to see you 'permanently resolved' thou!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Endo would know for sure! Especially mine. He sees low carb but doesn't sanction it. He sees its results but I know he won't jeopardize his job like some other drs.
He might one day but he definitely listens.

This is after a 75mg hit of pure glucose on an empty stomach, far in excess of the glucose coming from a meal. 7.5 at the 2 hour mark is non-diabetic. The diagnostic criteria is

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/oral-glucose-tolerance-test.html

What should the OGTT results be?
People without diabetes
  • Fasting value (before test): under 6 mmol/L
  • At 2 hours: under 7.8 mmol/L
People with impaired glucose tolerance (IGT)
  • Fasting value (before test): 6.0 to 7.0 mmol/L
  • At 2 hours: 7.9 to 11.0 mmol/L
Diabetic levels
  • Fasting value (before test): over 7.0 mmol/L
  • At 2 hours: over 11.0 mmol/L

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I believe that the proper procedure for the OGTT test is that you sit still for the 2 hours so your home test may not be valid. I got confusing results from the only OGTT test I had, they said I could go home and come back later!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
This is after a 75mg hit of pure glucose on an empty stomach, far in excess of the glucose coming from a meal. 7.5 at the 2 hour mark is non-diabetic. The diagnostic criteria is

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/oral-glucose-tolerance-test.html

What should the OGTT results be?
People without diabetes
  • Fasting value (before test): under 6 mmol/L
  • At 2 hours: under 7.8 mmol/L
People with impaired glucose tolerance (IGT)
  • Fasting value (before test): 6.0 to 7.0 mmol/L
  • At 2 hours: 7.9 to 11.0 mmol/L
Diabetic levels
  • Fasting value (before test): over 7.0 mmol/L
  • At 2 hours: over 11.0 mmol/L
I'd be starting on near 7 on my meter so glucose on top would rocket mine. 75g glucose is quite a lot.
Is this the same test for gestational diabetes? I haven't had one as was diabetic before pregnancies. Just extra scans and blood tests.

I've had a 30mmol/l on meter from a piece of cake with jam filling, pre insulin.

Reactions: Australia 1

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe that the proper procedure for the OGTT test is that you sit still for the 2 hours so your home test may not be valid. I got confusing results from the only OGTT test I had, they said I could go home and come back later!

Yes, my last OGTT was the same. Go home and come back in 2 hours.
Absurd.
No mention of sitting still, or avoiding stairs or exercise.
For all they knew (or cared!) I could have been out walking the dogs for those 2 hours.
Even the walk from the car park to the surgery would have affected the results, plus the fact they were 10 mins late calling me in at the 2 hour mark.

Kind of made a mockery of the whole thing.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yeah, I don’t think the test will give a definitive result, even though the blood taken will be lab tested, the rest of the test was hardly under controlled conditions.

I won’t take any particular notice of the test on my meter, I never consider any pin prick home test in anyway accurate.

I still have no idea why the NHS are wasting ££ doing this test, as whatever the result I won’t change my lifestyle.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes, my last OGTT was the same. Go home and come back in 2 hours.
Absurd.
No mention of sitting still, or avoiding stairs or exercise.
For all they knew (or cared!) I could have been out walking the dogs for those 2 hours.
Even the walk from the car park to the surgery would have affected the results, plus the fact they were 10 mins late calling me in at the 2 hour mark.

Kind of made a mockery of the whole thing.
The pregnancy one you have to sit and wait.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I expect most people clearly pass, or clearly fail and that GPs will make use of A1C etc when the results are not clear. Therefore not doing the test 100% correctly may not make much real life difference.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had to sit on a bed for 2 hours for my test. 16 at the end - but then we all knew I was T1 and it'll be done again in May to check progress.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I expect most people clearly pass, or clearly fail and that GPs will make use of A1C etc when the results are not clear. Therefore not doing the test 100% correctly may not make much real life difference.
Some of us are clearly borderline and need the correct procedures which I had by the way. My results are in my signature.

A

Australia 1

Some of us are clearly borderline and need the correct procedures which I had by the way. My results are in my signature.

G’Day Mates. 3.5 years ago when I had first GTT in Australia it was done over the two hour span in a Private Hospital. Over that period of time to now I Went from type 2 to Type 1 Due to many Issues. My biggest problem is to get any two Doctors to agree on anything about anything. This very Frustrating and Depressing. Can you relate to this??? Thank you so much as this group has it together.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Perhaps its the HbA1c readings in your original post listed in your signature your GP doesn't understand. The "50 Shades of diabetes" lookup table does not even start till 31. You seem to have readings for someone without diabetes.

PS perhaps they are want to check if something is wrong with their equipment at the doctors that is tainting the readings such as blood storage being too warm? I had to go to hospital (phlebotomy) dept the next day as mine was reading 31 to eliminate this.

Last edited: