My fathers cholesterol

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As this is not about me and not related to diabetes I hope no one minds me posting this but I know this group is very knowledgable...my dad is on statins and I asked him to get a copy of his latest blood test. The results are
Serum cholesterol 5.7
Serum triglycerides 1.2
HDL 1.63
Non HDL 4.1
Ldl 3.5
Cholesterol/HDL ratio 3.5

He is 80 years old. Any opinions? Thanks

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
can't see anything wrong with those.

Reactions: aqualung

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
can't see anything wrong with those.

Thanks. That's what I thought too but the GP has told him to take statins and reduce his level by 40%. He is of an age where the gp knows best . I said I wouldn't take statins with those results but it's whether he will listen to me or not...

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How long has he been on them? I mean, is that cholesterol level a result of taking the statins?

Reactions: aqualung

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How long has he been on them? I mean, is that cholesterol level a result of taking the statins?

He has taken them on and off but these results are without statins. It is quite hard to get all the facts as I don't live nearby and he has the start of dementia.

dwnunder

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Big mouths
As this is not about me and not related to diabetes I hope no one minds me posting this but I know this group is very knowledgable...my dad is on statins and I asked him to get a copy of his latest blood test. The results are
Serum cholesterol 5.7
Serum triglycerides 1.2
HDL 1.63
Non HDL 4.1
Ldl 3.5
Cholesterol/HDL ratio 3.5

He is 80 years old. Any opinions? Thanks
If it was my father if he was still alive then I would certainly be telling him not to take them. Research from cardiologists say that the older you get the more cholesterol you need. It helps with the immune system which at his age could be faltering a little.

Reactions: Gannet and aqualung