Now or later

Bekka

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’ve just started taking Gliclazide as my blood sugars are high should I tell the DVLA and my insurance company now or wait a few weeks to see if it’s working and I stay on it?

Lyndsay444

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was told you only need to bother DVLA when using insulin. I too take 240mg gliclazide daily and check my bloods before I drive.

D

Deleted Account

My understanding is you have to tell the DVLA if you are on any medication which may lower your BG (not just insulin).
If you do not you are not insured to drive.
If you can survive without driving whilst you "trial"your new medication, you do not need to tell DVLA.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Gliclazide is a tablet that can give you Hypo's so you should tell the DVLA..........failure to do so can incur a huge fine and you could lose your licence.
You should inform your insurance company you are taking Gliclazide.........failure to do so can nullify your insurance, but it should not make any difference to your premiums or cover.

Bekka

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’ve just spoken to the DVLA they said as my GP hasn’t said I’m at any great risk of hypos they don’t need to take any action but they will send me a letter stating I’ve contacted them and that no action needs to be taken. Hope this information helps others on this matter as it’s a confusing one.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
THE FOLLOWING I HADDOWNLOADED ON MY COMPUTER I DO NOT KNOW WHERE FROM hOPE IT HELPS!!

Specific information can be found on the DVLA website www.dvla.gov.uk

Applying for a licence DVLA : Driver

Postal Address:
Drivers Medical Unit , DVLA
Sandringham Park
Swansea SA7 0EE
Tel: 0870 2400 009

Informing your insurance company - car insurance

For your car insurance to be valid, you MUST inform your insurance company as soon as you are diagnosed with diabetes. If your insurance company asks about diabetes you must tell them that you have it.

They cannot however refuse cover or increase your premium unless they have evidence of increased risk. In most cases drivers with diabetes are no higher risk than any other driver. If however, your company wants to charge you a higher premium, ring around for a comparison or a better quote

Will other types of insurance be affected by my Diabetes?

If you held life assurance before you were diagnosed with diabetes, you do not need to declare it to your insurer for that policy. Diabetes may present problems for people looking for a new policy, including higher premiums due to the increased risk of poor health. The good news is that as your condition stablises. Choose your insurance company carefully to get the best deal.

Maybe the best thing is to find out what insurance policies you do have and then contact :
Diabetes UK- Financial Service for quotes that can take your diabetes into account but do not penalise you for it.

If you have a had a heart attack, the DVLA recommend that you should not drive for four weeks afeterwards and you should notify your insurance company too.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is what the DVLA says

Diabetes treated by tablets or non-insulin injections
Car or motorbike licence
Check with your doctor or nurse to find out if your treatment means you need to tell DVLA.

If you do need to tell DVLA, fill in form DIAB1 and send it to the address on the form.

https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving

Lyndsay444

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks did you tell your insurance company?

I have not told anyone as yet.
My blood sugar is still far to high even on gliclazide 320mg daily so no risk as yet of a “ hypo “
So I’m my view they don’t need to know.

Reactions: DUFC1

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not told anyone as yet.
My blood sugar is still far to high even on gliclazide 320mg daily so no risk as yet of a “ hypo “
So I’m my view they don’t need to know.

Is that also your doctor's view? If you haven't asked him, or discussed this with him, you may be liable to a big fine or worse ... nullified insurance cover.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Do I need to check my BS before the school run. It’s only a 15 minute, 2.5 mile round trip?

Yep, as soon as you are in charge of that vehicle even if its just to go to the corner shop!
What meds are you on?

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are on Insulin, Gliclazide or any "chance of a hypo" inducing drug then yes you do.