Type 1 Has anyone else been forced onto a new meter?

Matezza

I've been trying out a few new meters and recently switched to the contour next one.
My GP switched my prescription to my new strips. Then when I try to request more I find that my prescription is now for 50 test strips for the glucomen areo.

I wasn't informed of the change. My prescription was vastly reduced and when I queried this i was told that due to new regulations this was the only meter i could now use.
I was directed to this online "In 2013, an updated set of standards (ISO: 15197:2013) were published and these newer standards will need to be met blood glucose meter manufacturers by the end of May 2016."

My chosen meter is compliant with ISO: 15197:2013.

Has this happened to anyone else?
What recourse do i have to get a prescription for the meter i want?

If this is a cost saving measure i still object but at least i understand. The reason given to me doesnt seem to be valid.

JeremySE18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was given an Accucheck meter by the DN for which I was prescribed 50 strips a month. I switched to the Contour next one and asked for the prescription to be changed to reflect this, the DN said it was not possible, but on the grounds of COST.

She told me that they were limited to prescribing strips that cost no more than 10 quid to the NHS and that the contour ones were 15. Of course this all went out of the window when the doc stopped my Gliclazide prescription :eek:

I buy my own strips now, the contour and the iPhone app are way better than many others I have read about.

cjj

I was given an Accucheck meter by the DN for which I was prescribed 50 strips a month. I switched to the Contour next one and asked for the prescription to be changed to reflect this, the DN said it was not possible, but on the grounds of COST.

She told me that they were limited to prescribing strips that cost no more than 10 quid to the NHS and that the contour ones were 15. Of course this all went out of the window when the doc stopped my Gliclazide prescription :eek:

I buy my own strips now, the contour and the iPhone app are way better than many others I have read about.

I use the Accu-Chek Mobile, an all in one device. Each cartridge has 50 tests. What I like about it, it has the finger pricker attached the meter and is quick and easy to use.