Type 1 Fractured Fibula/Ankle

cjj

Has anyone fractured their lower leg or ankle?
I fell in Nov 2017 whilst at work which resulted in two fractures of my Fibula in he right foot/leg. The fractures are just above the ankle bone. Now just over 3 months on, having had a uncomfortable plaster-cast and Aircast boot. But not wearing it anymore.

I still can’t walk properly and am due to have an MRI scan in a couple of weeks to see if I’m going to get the CHARCOT foot problem. As I have quite a degree of Neuropathy...

Has anyone here had this experience and what has been the outcome?

42yrs with Type 1 Diabetes male 57yr old

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey cjj, sorry to hear about your accident. Don't have any info for you just wanted to send my regards and trust that the end result won't be the Charcot foot....Blessings/L

Reactions: cjj

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I broke my ankle while I had a bad flu and it played havic with my balance and I broke the same bone but 3mm from the base and let me tell you I know how you feel as it took me 9 months to walk again and that was from start to finish and I still get aches in it and that's because of the arthritis and I got that in about a couple of years ago and it is a painful injury and it does take a while to get back on your feet but I had a lot of physio and I can't move my foot and ankle like it was before so don't worry as your going to be okay just it's going to take awhile to get on your feet proply and I have type 2 diabetes and I was 25 when I broke mine so I am now 40 and I have had a few problems with the rest of my joints but I am getting there as the last one was only last week for a frozen shoulder and I have stitches and I can't move my arm around as much as I love to and it was in the sling for 2 days as my arm seized up and it took me a good day and a half to get rid of the feeling and to move my arm and hand again and to get the feeling back but it is better than the last frozen shoulder as I am still having problems with that one and that's over a year now since the operation but I can tell you that you will be able to walk around again and you will have a little arthritis in it but that is further down the road and you will be able to tell the weather as I can and I do now and then have a small problem with the achieles heal getting stuck in my ankle at the back of my ankle but it is because of it being loose and that I got the injury to it and I don't want to get the surgery to get it stuck to my heal

cjj

I broke my ankle while I had a bad flu and it played havic with my balance and I broke the same bone but 3mm from the base and let me tell you I know how you feel as it took me 9 months to walk again and that was from start to finish and I still get aches in it and that's because of the arthritis and I got that in about a couple of years ago and it is a painful injury and it does take a while to get back on your feet but I had a lot of physio and I can't move my foot and ankle like it was before so don't worry as your going to be okay just it's going to take awhile to get on your feet proply and I have type 2 diabetes and I was 25 when I broke mine so I am now 40 and I have had a few problems with the rest of my joints but I am getting there as the last one was only last week for a frozen shoulder and I have stitches and I can't move my arm around as much as I love to and it was in the sling for 2 days as my arm seized up and it took me a good day and a half to get rid of the feeling and to move my arm and hand again and to get the feeling back but it is better than the last frozen shoulder as I am still having problems with that one and that's over a year now since the operation but I can tell you that you will be able to walk around again and you will have a little arthritis in it but that is further down the road and you will be able to tell the weather as I can and I do now and then have a small problem with the achieles heal getting stuck in my ankle at the back of my ankle but it is because of it being loose and that I got the injury to it and I don't want to get the surgery to get it stuck to my heal

Blimy, you have had a bit to deal with there. Thanks for the upshot anyway. My whole body today have been having jabbing spasms thighs, legs, feet. I’m coming back as a robot in my next life. Thanks. Cjj. :)

Incyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I broke mine as well. The ankle remained swollen for a couple of years, but it has been fine since. You only get osteoarthritis if the articular surface of the joint was involved in the fracture.