Hypo treatment - restoring 0/ lo sugar drinks to full sugar

caius2x8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hypo treatment - restoring 0/ lo sugar drinks to full sugar

As t drifts on like butter dissolving ive noticed full sugar soft drinks ( my goto hypo aid) are going AWOL :-(.

So heres the solution.

On the back the drinks fall into two caregories.
Sugar 0g/ ml
Sugar 3.5g/ml.

To restore either to 10g/ml, same as full sugar Coca Cola, di this.

Make a 50% sugar: water solution.
For the no sugar bottle, when not hypo, drink 400mls.
In a bowl/ jug, add 200g white sugar to 200mls jyst boiled water. Stir til dissolved with a wooden spoon.
Cover with a lid, alliw to cool a few hrs.
Using a funnel if preferred (wilco, set if 3 different sizes £1), decant sugar syrup slowly into pop bottle. Dump bowel and funnel into sink for kids to wash up ;-).
Recap bottle. Turn upside down to mix thru.
On a 1/2 inch strip of white paper, write full sugar 10g/ml. Stick on front of bottle with sellotape. Saves people fighting the bittle off u, az has happoened to me, if hypo. Also helps recall white bottles are corrected.

So for pop which is sold at 3.5g/ml sugar, repeat the process above but making the syrup with 130g sugar, 130g boiling water. Havibg drunk 260mls when not low.

So there we go.

D

Deleted Account

That sounds like a lot of faff and, knowing me, at the point I have a hypo, I will have no "turbo charged" sugary drinks available.
I prefer to use a smaller, easy to carry hypo treatment like GlucoTabs.
They don't taste great but they don't need to - I see them as medication.

Reactions: nessals946

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That sounds like a lot of faff and, knowing me, at the point I have a hypo, I will have no "turbo charged" sugary drinks available.
I prefer to use a smaller, easy to carry hypo treatment like GlucoTabs.
They don't taste great but they don't need to - I see them as medication.
I’ll second that, too much faff, dextros all the way for me. A double pack is £1 from most supermarkets, that’s like 20+ hypo treatments for some people. I’d get about 30 for a £1. Not just the price it’s the precision you can count on and so small and convenient. Not too mention the fact it’s almost pure glucose with some added vit c..

Last edited:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I think i will stick to my jelly babies - pretty sure someone would drink my high sugar even if labelled :D

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Normally wine gums, fruit pastilles, fruit jellies (anything jelly like) as sweets but my number 1 treatment has always been lucozade. I always carry a small bottle in my work bag.

Any symptoms of going low, a couple of large gulps and 5 minutes later all is ok again.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Mmm jelly babies, I also like marks n sparks mint crumblies. They have fruit ones too but I haven't tried them (yet) x

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have lucozade by the bed, jelly babies in handbag if needed. But I have to have unscrewed the new lucozade bottle, and done it up again before I go to sleep as I have memories of waking up low, and not being able to open the bottle!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mini cans of coke in the night. Jelly babies in the day. Decant from a large pack into small tub. Buy when on the £1 offer at my local shop.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I miss those halcyon days of mars bars for hypo treatment. :p

Redvee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've got Lucozade beside the bed and more bottles in the kitchen at home. In work I carry the 10p bags of Haribo in my work trousers but do have Lucozade in my locker along with my BG meter.