Different GP's and different opinions....

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well that’s as clear as mud.

The surgery receptionist just called me and asked me to book another blood test, because the OGTT result was “inconclusive”

I apologise to you all for wasting valuable NHS resources.

PS No she couldn’t tell me the actual result as the “Doctor had them”

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well that’s as clear as mud.

The surgery receptionist just called me and asked me to book another blood test, because the OGTT result was “inconclusive”

I apologise to you all for wasting valuable NHS resources.

PS No she couldn’t tell me the actual result as the “Doctor had them”

As you say, clear as mud. If it were me I would insist on knowing the results so you can analyse them yourself. They should be on your surgery computer records. These things don't come on bit of paper these days. A print out is called for, in my opinion.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sometimes it is just to book in to see your GP and ask for a double length appointment, there is no need to tell the receptionist why you want the appointment.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t want an appointment. I have nothing to see a GP for.

They appear to want to waste valuable resources on trying to find out how someone with T2D has an HbA1c in the mid twenties.

If they would only listen to what I tell them they would find out.

Reactions: kokhongw and dbr10

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t want an appointment. I have nothing to see a GP for.

They appear to want to waste valuable resources on trying to find out how someone with T2D has an HbA1c in the mid twenties.

If they would only listen to what I tell them they would find out.

So what is your plan of action? A print out? Oblige them with another test? Ignore it all?

Reactions: Happyhomelands

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What Bluetit said!

I already have a plan that has worked just fine for the last 34 months, and shows no sign of not working, so I’ll stick to that.

I have access to all my blood test results so that’s not an issue.

My own pricks told me I hadn’t “passed” the OGTT, but I will look forward to getting hold of the actual result.

Having a couple of tubes of blood sucked out of my arm is no hardship, and it gives me an excuse to get up late and be an hour 1/2 late for work.

You never know I might end up teaching the GP’s something useful as well.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Update:

Finally had a telephone appointment with a GP yesterday, after the surgery not calling me on Monday for the agreed appointment due to “computer problems” and missing the call for the previously booked appointment last week because they called my home number instead of the agreed Mobile.

The 2nd blood test was to check my blood count apparently as they are confused by my HbA1c’s and that for the OGTT my fasting level was recorded as 5.3 which she said didn’t correlate with my HbA1c and should have been lower.

My blood count is normal, anyway.

She then asked how I had managed to get such low levels, so I gave her an abridged version.

I then told her she hadn’t mentioned my OGTT result. She said “well the result says you are not diabetic, so something must be wrong”

Anyway, she then tried the Statin hard sell and failed.

She then called me back 10 minutes later and said that after re-reading my notes she noticed that another GP had consulted an Endocrinologist about my case, and that the recommendation was that in my situation I should be prescribed 500mg of Metformin daily to protect against any future deterioration in my condition.

I despair with these people

Reactions: kokhongw

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What plonkers! Metformin with an HbA1c in the 20's for the past 2 years?? What planet are they on? And this recommendation came from an Endo?

I take it they won't be coding you as in remission or resolved then!

Have you ever produced your own evidence - meter averages and so on? A Libre would be a good one. Maybe they might give you some to try and prove their case!

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I was showing as “Resolved” on my medical record, from the GP surgery in York last year.

I will check later to see if that’s changed.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The initial drop from 88 to 32 in 3 months, and then all the results in the 20’s ever since even though I am not on medication.

She did ask “so just how many carbs do you eat on your diet ?” To which of course I had to reply that I have no idea as I don’t count them.
Just a thought. Was the 88 the only high reading you ever had? If so, could it be that actually you have never been diabetic at all and that maybe that result was someone else's rather than yours? I only ask because occasionally the tubes may get labelled wrongly or the result entered on the wrong patient. Shouldn't happen ever but occasionally it does!

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was the 88 the only high reading you ever had?

Yes it was, but I had every symptom imaginable, obese, thirsty, peeing tons, tired all the time, plus I'd been borderline for a while.

This site, and the wonderful posters on here with their advice and support saved my life.

I haven't felt as healthy as this for decades, and I have complete control (currently) over my health, and especially my T2D.

Unfortunately the NHS (as an organisation, although some HCP's are more open to new ideas) does not appear to be able to accept that T2D can be controlled, and stopped from progessing.

I have been under the "care" of 3 different GP Practices over the last 4 years, and when moving from one to the other the truth that the NHS overall does not know how to deal with the T2D "epidemic" that this country faces becomes a stark reality.

It's quite simple, but goes against everything HCP's have been trained and brainwashed to believe.

This site alone cannot solve the situation.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I then told her she hadn’t mentioned my OGTT result. She said “well the result says you are not diabetic, so something must be wrong”

Well done! Congratulations.

As usual the results are so unbelievable they just don't believe it...and so the rest of the world speed towards a progressive and chronic condition...there is nothing wrong with you...but everything is wrong with the existing medical system when it comes to T2D...