I'm back, from outa space, with an HbA1c result..

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
.. and a smile upon my face. But been away from the internet for a few weeks, and also from doing my own cooking. So I saw the docs to get my latest results, and also noted the previous ones. Scores were:-

May 2017 58 mmol/mol
Nov 2017 73 mmol/mol
Feb 2018 48 mmol/mol

And the DN was most impressed and wanted to know how I did it. Answer was following the great advice here and just saying 'No!' to carbs. So thank you one and all! And as an added bonus, also went from 98kg to 88kg since November.

(And ok, I did kinda celebrate with a nice, crusty multigrain bloomer and some grapes. It's kinda fun that things that used to be a regular part of my diet are now very occasional and cheap treats.)

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant news - well done! What was your nurse's response when you explained it was the low carb diet that helped?

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations! That's wonderful!

I had my HBA1C this morning (no results yet just hope!) and may have treated myself to my daughter's two shortbread biscuits shaped like Scottie Dogs :) I haven't had biscuits for three months!

(I wonder if I should replace them before she notices?)

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brilliant news - well done! What was your nurse's response when you explained it was the low carb diet that helped?

I think their response was a mixture of suprise and happiness, and they asked 'How did you do that?'

So I explained that I'd been cutting carbs, aiming for around 20-40g/day max. Catching up on other posts, it's nice to see the medical community coming around to the same conclusion. For me, LCHF worked because I wanted it to, and was determined to get this under control and keep my foot.. So was quite motivated. Then in best BAFTA fashion, it's thanks to the advice, support and suggestions from you good folks that helped. DN also said if I keep this up, I probably won't need the metformin.

Other things I've noticed.. I don't miss the carbs as much now I've adjusted to low carb eating. Something I noticed when I was shopping yesterday is I skipped the biscuits & snacks aisle, even though I'd been tempted to get some garibaldis or shortbreads as a treat. So I'm finding I'm not 'wanting' bad foods as often, and keep those for a once a month treat.. which also makes basic foods seem more enjoyable.

So I think I'll be able to sustain this & won't slip back into bad eating habits. I'm still not sure what my weight goal should be though. I'm closing in on my 81kg target, and once I hit that, I figure I'll keep to my current diet and see where my body wants to end up. For fun, I found an old pair of Armani jeans that I must have bought back in the early '90s.. So when I fit back into those, I'll be able to wear antique jeans! I don't think I'll rip them though.. :p

Reactions: Brunneria

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations! That's wonderful!

I had my HBA1C this morning (no results yet just hope!) and may have treated myself to my daughter's two shortbread biscuits shaped like Scottie Dogs :) I haven't had biscuits for three months!

(I wonder if I should replace them before she notices?)

Heh.. did she when she may have eaten yours? The way I'm looking at it is 'all good things in moderation', especially when the good might be bad. Hope your results turn out nicely though, and for me, the LCHF diet has certainly worked!

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think their response was a mixture of suprise and happiness, and they asked 'How did you do that?'

So I explained that I'd been cutting carbs, aiming for around 20-40g/day max. Catching up on other posts, it's nice to see the medical community coming around to the same conclusion. For me, LCHF worked because I wanted it to, and was determined to get this under control and keep my foot.. So was quite motivated. Then in best BAFTA fashion, it's thanks to the advice, support and suggestions from you good folks that helped. DN also said if I keep this up, I probably won't need the metformin.

Other things I've noticed.. I don't miss the carbs as much now I've adjusted to low carb eating. Something I noticed when I was shopping yesterday is I skipped the biscuits & snacks aisle, even though I'd been tempted to get some garibaldis or shortbreads as a treat. So I'm finding I'm not 'wanting' bad foods as often, and keep those for a once a month treat.. which also makes basic foods seem more enjoyable.

So I think I'll be able to sustain this & won't slip back into bad eating habits. I'm still not sure what my weight goal should be though. I'm closing in on my 81kg target, and once I hit that, I figure I'll keep to my current diet and see where my body wants to end up. For fun, I found an old pair of Armani jeans that I must have bought back in the early '90s.. So when I fit back into those, I'll be able to wear antique jeans! I don't think I'll rip them though.. :p
Wonderful - can relate to the carbs thing - I was seriously addicted to carbs before going practically cold turkey and it's such a great feeling to no longer be at their mercy!

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well done! Fantastic results! I also saw progress by reducing my carb intake. It’s incredible really, oh how wrong I was for so many years!

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wonderful - can relate to the carbs thing - I was seriously addicted to carbs before going practically cold turkey and it's such a great feeling to no longer be at their mercy!

It also saves money! As the late, great Bill Hicks would say, I blame Satan's little helpers. The junk food industry spends billions on promoting unhealthy foods, and we've gone from having sweets/treats as something special to something that can get eaten several times a day. Possibly washed down with a can of fizzy syrup.. and unsuprisingly, our liver's aren't thanking the food industry. Problem is they're also influencing our health advisors.

The frustrating thing for me is the 'cure' for a lot of modern health problems could be fixed with better diet advice.. But that would be bad news for the junk food industry.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It also saves money! As the late, great Bill Hicks would say, I blame Satan's little helpers. The junk food industry spends billions on promoting unhealthy foods, and we've gone from having sweets/treats as something special to something that can get eaten several times a day. Possibly washed down with a can of fizzy syrup.. and unsuprisingly, our liver's aren't thanking the food industry. Problem is they're also influencing our health advisors.

The frustrating thing for me is the 'cure' for a lot of modern health problems could be fixed with better diet advice.. But that would be bad news for the junk food industry.
Yes, and even the 'healthy' options are often processed and with the fat removed worse for our blood sugars. I cringe when I think of all the low fat crisps, rice cakes, cereal bars etc I've eaten in the mistaken belief they'd help me lose weight, when actually they were probably spiking my blood sugars continuously. Thank goodness for this site and others who are spreading the low carb word.

Reactions: marathonmona

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well done! @first14808

Hopefully the first of many.

An excellent start! :)

Ps. My hba1c is being tested tomorrow. Results next week. :bag: God help me. Ha ha

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
(And ok, I did kinda celebrate with a nice, crusty multigrain bloomer and some grapes. It's kinda fun that things that used to be a regular part of my diet . . . . . .

Well done on excellent results. Couldn't agree more about regular dietary items becoming a treat, great way to look at it. Psychologically I have read in dieting books that the little treat to look forward to could help one from indulging on a more regular basis.

Reactions: MikeStrutter