Complications even with control?

Cloherty123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Heya all,

Do you think its possible to get complications even if you keep your numbers low? What BG numbers can be damaging?

Just curious. When asking the diabetic nurse I met with, she basically laughed and said complications happen in extreme cases but it seems that even people who are prediabetic can get complications.

X

Reactions: Buxton1998

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Heya all,

Do you think its possible to get complications even if you keep your numbers low? What BG numbers can be damaging?

Just curious. When asking the diabetic nurse I met with, she basically laughed and said complications happen in extreme cases but it seems that even people who are prediabetic can get complications.

X
Hi Cloherty, there are many other websites and information that say otherwise, would hate for you to be frightened of a reading of 5.7.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
When my husband was diagnosed, nearly five years ago and found to have proliferative retinopathy, there was rather a lot less good (low carb) information around than there is now, www.phlaunt.com/diabetes was, therefore, our main and most influential source of information. I'm so glad we followed this site and not the many 'mediocre will do' sources of information. With a strict approach, all his symptoms have reversed/regressed/gone away and he is now very healthy, fit and active.
Aim high (or in the case of blood sugars aim low) and good health will follow.
Sally

Reactions: LucySW

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think this is often a situation where Type 1s and Type 2s have very different experiences.

Type 1s are often diagnosed after a relatively short period of high blood glucose, and therefore complications are a few years in their future.

Type 2s are often diagnosed after years of undiagnosed high blood glucose, metabolic syndrome and high insulin, and so may have had complications for a while before diagnosis. I read that 10 years of undiagnosed T2 is not uncommon before the person even knows that they have diabetes. We have a number of regular posters with pre-diabetes who have complications like neuropathy, so it is not uncommon. In those circumstances, trying to halt or reverse years of pre-existing damage can seem like a high priority, and maintaining strict blood glucose control is a step on that path.

@Cloherty123 your profile doesn't say whether you are type 1 or 2 or one of the others, but it can make quite a difference to the information that is useful to you.

Last edited:

Cloherty123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think this is often a situation where Type 1s and Type 2s have very different experiences.

Type 1s are often diagnosed after a relatively short period of high blood glucose, and therefore complications are a few years in their future.

Type 2s are often diagnosed after years of undiagnosed high blood glucose, metabolic syndrome and high insulin, and so may have had complications for a while before diagnosis. I read that 10 years of undiagnosed T2 is not uncommon before the person even knows that they have diabetes. We have a number of regular posters with pre-diabetes who have complications like neuropathy, so it is not uncommon. In those circumstances, trying to halt or reverse years of pre-existing damage can seem like a high priority, and maintaining strict blood glucose control is a step on that path.

@Cloherty123 your profile doesn't say whether you are type 1 or 2 or one of the others, but it can make quite a difference to the information that is useful to you.
I couldn’t see where to put it. I’m Prediabetic

Reactions: Brunneria

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Regardless
Regardless of diabetes status, it's a good idea to keep your blood glucose levels below 7.8 mmol/L as much as possible.

Reactions: dbr10

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:)

Thanks. In that case, keeping on top of blood glucose from day one is a good move. But don’t fall into the trap of believing that diabetes (let alone diabetic complications) are an inevitable part of your future. They aren’t.

Have another read of Sally and James’ post above. James had complications which have now been reversed. He made changes, took control, and is now in better health than before his diagnosis. That is pretty inspiring.

And you will find a lot of people post similar things across the forum. There is a huge amount of information, support and success stories here to help you.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I’d echo what Brunneria says. I was diagnosed late-onset T-1 four years ago, and it freaked me out so much I went hard for very good control and as near normal BG as possible. Result: My partial night blindness has gone. Near-normal BG really can reverse complications. It’s worth it ! Go for it.

Reactions: dbr10