Aches and pains on met

Gracicles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi was just wondering if anyone has developed lactic acidosis or other muscle aches and pains since taking metformin? Thanks

Gracicles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I have.
What exactly were/are your symptoms? I’ve been on it since last July but for the past month or so my body just hurts and I am so tired! I had my HBA1C checked this week and it’s ok, better than last time so it’s not high sugars causing it. My inflammation markers are raised though. On googling met I have now seen it can give us this.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi was just wondering if anyone has developed lactic acidosis or other muscle aches and pains since taking metformin? Thanks

Hi there. I've never taken Metformin, so can't comment from personal experience, but my colleague, @andcol had lactic acidosis when he was on Metformin.

Do you take any other medications at all? Some people find the develop aches and pains when they take statins, for example.

Reactions: dbr10

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What exactly were/are your symptoms? I’ve been on it since last July but for the past month or so my body just hurts and I am so tired! I had my HBA1C checked this week and it’s ok, better than last time so it’s not high sugars causing it. My inflammation markers are raised though. On googling met I have now seen it can give us this.
I get ache in the calves when I walk any distance, like I had just run 100 metre race but it goes after a short rest, I also have itchy skin on a couple of fingers like I imagine reumatism pains, but it is not that/ It is more like the itching you get from handling fibreglass like splinters and it is touch sensitive too. Not that I go Ouch or anything, just a nagging itch. I can still play guitar.

Reactions: Gracicles and dbr10

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I have never had muscle aches from Metformin but I only take 500g of the SR version once a day

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You say on your profile you are diet only so have you only just started to take Metformin

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Interesting. I get itchy legs (but I think this is dry skin) and muscles are a little bit more stiff than I remember after exercise but I haven't tied this down to Metformin.

I may take a holiday during the summer and see what happens.