Insulin to carb??

sarahm723

Type of diabetes
Type 1
7units covers my 30g of porridge perfect every morning .. 12 units covers my 2 slices homemade brown bread with turkey rashers and eggs . And evening now I’m having a chicken stir fry no sauces with uncle bend long grain 48g bagged uncooked rice ... I’m doing a week of all the same foods to try find my ratio... should I take 12 units ? I’m not sure .. I’m thinking I’m 1 unit of nova rapid to every 4 grams carb sorry if I should stupid

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We can't advise on ratios you need to work out the carbs for your meals and then you can divide the total carbs by the number of units of novorapid to give you a rough guide.
Protein can also affect the numbers - hence why not a perfect calculation
Your diabetes nurse should be able to give you some guidance

Frances

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
7units covers my 30g of porridge perfect every morning .. 12 units covers my 2 slices homemade brown bread with turkey rashers and eggs . And evening now I’m having a chicken stir fry no sauces with uncle bend long grain 48g bagged uncooked rice ... I’m doing a week of all the same foods to try find my ratio... should I take 12 units ? I’m not sure .. I’m thinking I’m 1 unit of nova rapid to every 4 grams carb sorry if I should stupid
I'm fairly new, Aug last year and the simple fact is I don't want to be a diabetic but I am. So,I try and be in control. I know my body needs insulin but it's the fat making hormone so I don't want to overdose on it. This is a long-winded way of saying I don't eat lots of carbs, about 15-30g per day so usually not one of my meals is over 10g. I worked out my insulin to carb ration as around 1:15. This means for the last 2 weeks I haven't done any bolus. You'll need to work out your own ratio as @Books1 says but you might like to try lower carb meals.