Eating low carbs but High readings

Stay healthy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
hi, we have been eating quite low carbs 30-40g / day) which seems to be largely working for us however sometimes we get a higher reading with no obvious reason.
Today we had two eggs for lunch and tested 2 hours later which came out to be 9.1 which is higher than what we usually get? Any ideas if there is anything else contributing to high BG readings ?

Many thanks

Stay healthy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I know we should have ideally tested before the meal as well but I can’t think of why it would be higher before the meal as she had her normal breakfast in the morning.
Thanks

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It really is necessary to test before and after each meal until you are fully confident. It is important to be structured and consistent, and initially not to get too complacent about a meal that has worked before. If you only had 2 eggs for lunch and nothing else, your levels should be much the same as when you started as you are not on any medication. It seems to me you were high before you ate, and this needs investigating. What did she have for breakfast, and during the morning, and did she have any exercise before lunch?

Stay healthy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
It really is necessary to test before and after each meal until you are fully confident. It is important to be structured and consistent, and initially not to get too complacent about a meal that has worked before. If you only had 2 eggs for lunch and nothing else, your levels should be much the same as when you started as you are not on any medication. It seems to me you were high before you ate, and this needs investigating. What did she have for breakfast, and during the morning, and did she have any exercise before lunch?
Thanks for replying. I agree we should have tested before meal too. She went for a 30 month walk before lunch at noon and then had eggs. She didn’t had much breakfast either - again just 1 egg.
I am trying to convince her to eat different foods which she does but today was one of those days where eggs were “quick and easy” meal for her and she felt confident about her bg except after she saw the readings :(

Stay healthy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
She had 6.5 before dinner and 8.7 two hours after.
Dinner was - lentil soup .

To be honest post lunch reading has thrown us back a little bit . Not sure why this would be ?
Wondering if there is such a thing as “ ignore that one odd reading which doesn’t tie up with the food you had?”

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well meters DO have a variance - their numbers are an inexact science, but that explanation only goes so far: if she is consistently testing on the high side, you have to assume she's on the high side.

Did you guys get a formal diagnosis yet? Have the docs figured out what's going on?

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well lental soup is not so low more medium so that would explain that. how much did they have

Reactions: Bigbumcooper

Stay healthy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Well meters DO have a variance - their numbers are an inexact science, but that explanation only goes so far: if she is consistently testing on the high side, you have to assume she's on the high side.

Did you guys get a formal diagnosis yet? Have the docs figured out what's going on?
Normally het readings are below 7 and occasionally low 8s. We have been formally diagnosed as diabetic but no type defined yet so GP is assuming T2 unless the consultant (who we r yet to see) think otherwise. GP did say we are in between 1 and 2 . Not sure what that means?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Did you wash hands? I didn't once and got a very silly reading.

Reactions: amrita86

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When you got the 9.1 reading, did you recheck it. I always do a second test if I get an unexpectedly high (or low) reading. You do get the odd faulty strip.
Also I’d say skip the lentil soup now, a rise of over 2mmols is not desirable

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
so depending on thickness it could be anywhere between 16-24units

Stay healthy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
When you got the 9.1 reading, did you recheck it. I always do a second test if I get an unexpectedly high (or low) reading. You do get the odd faulty strip.
Also I’d say skip the lentil soup now, a rise of over 2mmols is not desirable
Yep... is 2 mmols a strick range? it was a difference of 2.2 so I suggested she continues as it is something she loves.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep... is 2 mmols a strick range? it was a difference of 2.2 so I suggested she continues as it is something she loves.
The line has to be drawn somewhere. It’s entirely up to you I suppose. I actually prefer a difference of way less than 2

Reactions: Stay healthy

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sorry yes i just think of them as units. but if your mum likes it so what. it was only just out of the 2 range

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for replying. I agree we should have tested before meal too. She went for a 30 month walk before lunch at noon and then had eggs. She didn’t had much breakfast either - again just 1 egg.
I am trying to convince her to eat different foods which she does but today was one of those days where eggs were “quick and easy” meal for her and she felt confident about her bg except after she saw the readings :(

I take it you mean a 30 minute walk? :)

If she only had 1 egg for breakfast and nothing else, then later on went for a 30 minutes walk just before lunch, the reason could be right there. I suggest her liver was dumping some stored glucose because it thought she needed more energy, and the walk will have made this worse. Exercise can raise levels, especially on an empty stomach. All you can do now is record it on your data stats and move on.

I would like to add, though, that she isn't eating enough! 3 eggs and half a bowl of soup in a day is far too little and will not be helping her. Our bodies can go into starvation mode on too few calories. She needs to eat a proper balanced meal, with meat, fish, vegetables and fats. As long as the carbs are kept very low, this will keep her healthy.