The day has arrived!

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
20 months ago, July 2016, my consultant got the ball rolling for me to start pump therapy! I thought the day would never arrive.

My appointment is 1pm today, apparently by 2pm the nurse said I will be hooked up to my Insight.
Sadly, I woke up 11.7mmol:(, I wanted to wake up at a satisfying 5.5mmol to have a good start to my day!

After 39years of MDI I cannot believe I'm doing this:nailbiting:.

:happy: Christine

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How does it feel?
I feel quite overwhelmed! And sadly I'm hypo, just tested and I'm 2.6mmol post dinner, just had 12 quick acting carbs, however, I could quite easily eat the contents of the fridge:(

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Congratulations! Don't worry, it takes a little while to adjust your insulin levels but you'll get there!

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello! @Books1 @Sandymcat and @Neoncat

Well I survived my first night! I was actually unaware of the pump during the night, so that's a bonus.

I woke up 9.5mmol, bloused etc but could feel myself getting higher and higher during the morning.

By lunchtime I was 12.8. I bolused and ate and by 3.30pm I had dropped to 4.8mmol.

I do believe is that on wakening I will need to increase my basal rate to cover waking up a bit higher.......I am just guessing.

Anyway, I am back to see the pump nurse again tomorrow to change to cannula etc .

Thank you for all your kind messages and thoughts. People don't get it do they, my work colleagues have no idea how much of a learning curve this is.!:facepalm:

Reactions: tircoed

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope tomorrow goes well.
One of the main things I was warned about before starting my pump was that my meter would be busy as my levels would take a while to get right.
x

Sandymcat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad you are doing well. And don’t worry too much at this stage about your levels. That’s what I was told. In the long run they will be much better. I’m still struggling with night time lows, but I’m confident, with help from the diabetes team, they will be ironed out.
I’m no expert (2 and a half weeks in) but I am feeling hopeful! x

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad you are doing well. And don’t worry too much at this stage about your levels. That’s what I was told. In the long run they will be much better. I’m still struggling with night time lows, but I’m confident, with help from the diabetes team, they will be ironed out.
I’m no expert (2 and a half weeks in) but I am feeling hopeful! x
Me to, day 3 and I am feeling more hopeful than I thought. My bgs have been much better than pre pump, so although they are not stable, they are MUCH more stable than levels of late. Thank you , take care xx

Reactions: Books1

Sandymcat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same! Mine are much better. A loooong conversation with my lovely diabetes nurse today, doing some more tweaking on the machine. It won’t change overnight, but for me, I feel I have turned a corner. It’s a much better way. But more tweaking needed!

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Same! Mine are much better. A loooong conversation with my lovely diabetes nurse today, doing some more tweaking on the machine. It won’t change overnight, but for me, I feel I have turned a corner. It’s a much better way. But more tweaking needed!
I actually decided to take the day off today and take advantage of doing my first basal testing. I woke up 5.7mmol.......I cannot explain how amazing that makes me feel!:happy: Had breakfast at 6am and tested every two hours, I'm still fasting.:arghh: Dinner planned for 7pm tonight! Will do an over night one at the weekend, not looking forward to testing every two hours in the night though. My levels are pretty stable but I can see the morning basal rate may need increasing because of the dawn phenomenon. At work I rise even more, but I assume that is stress related. At the moment I am only on two basal rates, daytime 0.65u and bed time 0.80u, so I have lots and lots of space for fine tuning! xx

Reactions: Books1