Temper tantrums

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
does anyone else get easily annoyed/ frustrated/angry/ upset with thier loved ones for the tiniest of things? I’ve only been like it since I’ve been diagnosed in 2014. This week I’ve been so bad I’ve pushed my lovely boyfriend away who says he can’t cope with me anymore (I don’t blame him) Has anyone got any tips? I always feel like a complete idiot when I get my sense back an hour or so later.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
quite the reverse - I can cope with himself far better these days - though what a relief that he has decided to stop taking the statins, he was a real grouch when taking them.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I recall that my husband had his "difficult" moments in the months before he was diagnosed. His sugar levels must have been all over the place and the consequent high insulin levels made him aggressively hungry. Do you have a glucose meter, so that you can check your own blood sugar levels? Do these tally with you being a tad difficult to be with? Your profile says you are on tablets, but are you following a diet that will control your blood sugars?
Sally

ps. A low carb diet sorted everything for us and harmony reigns in the Sally/James household (usually!).

Reactions: DJC3 and hankjam

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Have you tested your bg when in mid tantrum? Are you stressed at the time? Higher bg levels can affect mood so it is worth looking at.

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I recall that my husband had his "difficult" moments in the months before he was diagnosed. His sugar levels must have been all over the place and the consequent high insulin levels made him aggressively hungry. Do you have a glucose meter, so that you can check your own blood sugar levels? Do these tally with you being a tad difficult to be with? Your profile says you are on tablets, but are you following a diet that will control your blood sugars?
Sally

ps. A low carb diet sorted everything for us and harmony reigns in the Sally/James household (usually!).
Thanks Sally/James, my blood sugars can still be all over the place a times for reasons I can’t work out. I test my blood a few times a day and eat as low carb as I can. I struggle with my sugars rising after the gym. I’m now on metformin, Gliclazide, pioglitazone and inject Trulicity once a week. I find I’m more irritable when I’m high

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
my blood sugars can still be all over the place a times for reasons I can’t work out. I test my blood a few times a day and eat as low carb as I can.
You need to test your blood sugars immediately before a meal and then again two hours later. Try and aim for a rise of no more than 2mmol/L. Keep a food diary listing your results and exactly what you had at each meal. Side notes such as gym visits, having a cold or what ever, can sometimes be helpful. In this way, you will begin to see which foods aren't helping you. There may be some surprises. Tell us what you eat on a typical day. People here have loads of experience of low carb.
Sally

Reactions: Fiona29

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tested your bg when in mid tantrum? Are you stressed at the time? Higher bg levels can affect mood so it is worth looking at.
Thanks Guzzler, I will try testing when mid tantrum- although I think it’s when I’m higher rather than lower. I do get stressed very easily so yes I am probably stressed at the time.

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You need to test your blood sugars immediately before a meal and then again two hours later. Try and aim for a rise of no more than 2mmol/L. Keep a food diary listing your results and exactly what you had at each meal. Side notes such as gym visits, having a cold or what ever, can sometimes be helpful. In this way, you will begin to see which foods aren't helping you. There may be some surprises. Tell us what you eat on a typical day. People here have loads of experience of low carb.
Sally
I’ve been told by the GP that I sometimes test too often, when I test before and then two hours after a meal it normally goes up by around 2. A typical days food - breakfast scrambled egg and grilled bacon with a cup of tea. Lunch salad with chicken and Parmesan cheese, a few strawberries. Dinner cottage pie made with cauliflower mash. Snacks carrot, cuecumber, celery sticks, almonds, Alpen light bar.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
does anyone else get easily annoyed/ frustrated/angry/ upset with thier loved ones for the tiniest of things? I’ve only been like it since I’ve been diagnosed in 2014. This week I’ve been so bad I’ve pushed my lovely boyfriend away who says he can’t cope with me anymore (I don’t blame him) Has anyone got any tips? I always feel like a complete idiot when I get my sense back an hour or so later.
That was the only symptom I had pre-diagnosis. I am usually very even-tempered but the first time I realised I was 'off' was when my poor mum was on the receiving end of a full-blown tantrum, @Emmasndco - from her 59 yr-old daughter! To my eternal regret, I shouted at my lovely, gentle elderly cat one morning (as cat slaves know, they will insist on being alarms...) not realising she was actually very ill and had to be pts that afternoon. Since cutting down on carbs, I am back to normal. Good advice above, but also seek out coping strategies when you feel the stress is taking you over. I think there are other members on the Forum who have such strategies but a web search would help. A step outside yourself (if that makes sense) just for a moment or two, and breathe in slowly for a count of four, hold for a bit, and then out for a count of seven, or whichever length suits. I hope you and your boyfriend can patch things up.

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
Very sorry to hear this. I think quite a few of us suffer from explosive bouts of temper. Maybe our coping mechanisms are too stretched... I find I'm at my worst when I am suddenly told about something else that has gone wrong,/ needs doing,/ needs looking at, /needs someone else to look at it etc etc. I find I am much more able to control myself if the person telling me the bad news says someting like "I'm going to tell you something you won't like in a minute." Then my thinking brain can control my reactions because it is ready for the unexpected. It's worth looking at the numerous anti stress apps available and one to help you get to sleep if that is a problem for you. Mindfulness or meditation techniques are not mumbo jumbo, they can help.

Reactions: Sue192

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might find that your BG is more stable if you eat a small amount of carbs with your breakfast - add a tomato or mushrooms perhaps. I was surprised but the meter showed th same thing every time - far more even BG, no morning spike, no afternoon plummet.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been told by the GP that I sometimes test too often, when I test before and then two hours after a meal it normally goes up by around 2. A typical days food - breakfast scrambled egg and grilled bacon with a cup of tea. Lunch salad with chicken and Parmesan cheese, a few strawberries. Dinner cottage pie made with cauliflower mash. Snacks carrot, cuecumber, celery sticks, almonds, Alpen light bar.
That sounds like a very good low carb diet, though do check the ingredients on the Alpen bar! By the way, ignore the GP. If you are getting useful information, you carry on testing!
Sally

Reactions: Emmasndco

linhil

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Your diet sounds great. Good for you. Not sure about the energy bar tho? I'm pretty new to a low carb diet; but so far when I do stick with it, as you are, I do really well. Notice when I eat fish, not red meat, my BG levels are really good. BUT I do get super crabby at times. And hate myself for it afterwards!!! I think it’s when I don’t eat regularly. Noticed if I don’t eat soon enough in the morning and am feeling stressed it becomes a lethal combo!! Early morning, I drink a pot of tea with milk that gives me just enough protein to limp along I think...and I can forget to actually eat anything for 4 or 5 hours after waking (immersed in email)!! So now I have a handful of almonds to keep me on an even keel and have my protein shake sooner.

And I agree with others.... if testing often is helping you get a handle on your specific situation and enabling you to monitor your reaction to diet and life...go for it. And keeping a good record of food and mood a great plan.... going to start today and include my exercise too. Thanks to all...

Reactions: ickihun

Sinulae

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have always been laid back and slow of temper. But since being diagnosed type 2 less than a year ago I have found myself lately getting increasingly snappy with my 4 beautiful lovely cat companions. My sugars are fairly stable, so I don’t know why I am being like this and like you it has been puzzling me as to what’s happening to me .

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
High blood pressure can give short temper...., in some.
When was your blood pressure checked last?

Jeannier9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercise, salads, mushy foods.
I learned about mood swings and diabetes from one of my staff, a few years back. He didn't know how unpleasant he was to work with. I took him aside for an attitude discussion and the impact on his team/customers. As a result of that conversation I was introduced to diabetes and its impact on emotions, without the person knowing how they were reacting/behaving. (I did some research and worked out a plan of action for him that improved both his reactions to his fellow workers, and customers, successfully.)
When I was diagnosed with T2 last May, I recalled those conversations and hoped I wouldn't be impacted. But I was - as my loving and patient hubby pointed out on many occasions.
Now I'm (hopefully) more aware of my reactions/behaviours - and when I hear myself being rude or negative, just act/pretend to be cheerful and upbeat.
I've now got my hubby fooled as he now rarely knows when I'm moody/depressed (and he watches me like a hawk as he's terrified of the negative impacts of diabetes, and is determined to keep me alive and healthy indefinately!)
For me it's being very aware of mood swings, and to be aware of others' reactions to me, and modify behaviour accordingly. Sometimes it's a challenge, as last weekend, where I had to keep forcing a happy smile all day, being and saying positive things etc. But then isn't some of living life acting? Just for those of us with the mood issues, it means a little more acting that normal.
I wish you the best in this challenge - one of the smaller ones in the journey that is diabetes.

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That was the only symptom I had pre-diagnosis. I am usually very even-tempered but the first time I realised I was 'off' was when my poor mum was on the receiving end of a full-blown tantrum, @Emmasndco - from her 59 yr-old daughter! To my eternal regret, I shouted at my lovely, gentle elderly cat one morning (as cat slaves know, they will insist on being alarms...) not realising she was actually very ill and had to be pts that afternoon. Since cutting down on carbs, I am back to normal. Good advice above, but also seek out coping strategies when you feel the stress is taking you over. I think there are other members on the Forum who have such strategies but a web search would help. A step outside yourself (if that makes sense) just for a moment or two, and breathe in slowly for a count of four, hold for a bit, and then out for a count of seven, or whichever length suits. I hope you and your boyfriend can patch things up.
Thanks Sue, I’m glad I’m not the only one it has happened to. I will try to stop and breath... trouble is I normally don’t realise how I have reacted until it’s too late and spend the next hour beating myself up as I’ve behaved like a complete idiot. I really hope we can work things out, but I’m not sure if he can cope with me anymore. He hasn’t spoken to me since Tuesday eve

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very sorry to hear this. I think quite a few of us suffer from explosive bouts of temper. Maybe our coping mechanisms are too stretched... I find I'm at my worst when I am suddenly told about something else that has gone wrong,/ needs doing,/ needs looking at, /needs someone else to look at it etc etc. I find I am much more able to control myself if the person telling me the bad news says someting like "I'm going to tell you something you won't like in a minute." Then my thinking brain can control my reactions because it is ready for the unexpected. It's worth looking at the numerous anti stress apps available and one to help you get to sleep if that is a problem for you. Mindfulness or meditation techniques are not mumbo jumbo, they can help.
Thanks for some really useful advice. I agree with you, I’m worse when something comes out of the blue. But I think I also have a habit of over reacting and taking things the wrong way. I don’t have trouble sleeping, but I definitely think I could do with looking into mindfulness.

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You might find that your BG is more stable if you eat a small amount of carbs with your breakfast - add a tomato or mushrooms perhaps. I was surprised but the meter showed th same thing every time - far more even BG, no morning spike, no afternoon plummet.
Thanks Resurgam, As my sugars are normally higher in the morning (dawn phenomenon) I normally try to eat least carbs with my breakfast then allow myself a little more throughout the day. I will give it a go though!

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That sounds like a very good low carb diet, though do check the ingredients on the Alpen bar! By the way, ignore the GP. If you are getting useful information, you carry on testing!
Sally
It’s an alpen light bar, 10 or 11 g of carbs. It’s normally my go to for something to eat before
The gym. Not really sure if that’s the right thing to have or not. I struggle knowing what to eat before the gym. I will test away. I do find it very useful!