FreeStyle Libre sensors - who gets funding?

Liv1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How do I find out if my local authority is going to fund the FreeStyle Libre sensors?

The freestyle website has got information up about getting reimbursements for any purchases from November 1st but it doesn’t give any details about who/where can apply.

Thanks

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No one will have funding for a libre at the moment as it is not available on prescription until after 1 November 2017.

You won't get funding from you local authority. The decision on NHS funding will be made by your Clinical commissioning group. Before they make any decision on funding the libre would have to be prescribed and then the CCG decides whether to fund the prescription.

This is how it currently works for CGMs where a consultant endocrinologist decides a CGM is clinically necessary an individual funding request is made to the CCG for funding. It's very very rare for a not pregnant adult type 1 to get funding for a CGM unless they are hypo unaware (which means no driving licence) and having muliple severe hypos.

It is likely that funding for the libre will be similarly restrictive, at least until the next financial year when it can actually be budgeted for.

If Abbott are suggesting that purchases will be reimbursed after 1 Nov, I think that's wildly over optimistic.

Input have some info on NHS funding for libre - http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/cgm/libre/

not-so-lucky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've asked my practice nurse for one (2 weeks ago so after the 1st Nov Opening line) and she said they're only available if you write a letter to the commisioning group of your local health authority and get a supporting letter from your consultant endocrinologist for personal funding as they're only allowing them on a 'case by case' basis - and even then; you're not guaranteed getting one.

It makes no sense refusing to fund them as surely the cost savings on people being empowered by their trends and figures in an instant avoiding hypers and hypos and ultimately avoiding complications outweigh any costs. It's all red tape in my view. Bureaucracy at its best.

Nickglanf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had an appointment at my doctors yesterday concerning a new blood glucose meter they wanted me to have. And I brought the subject up about Libre sensors, I was told that funding was still under discussion. I’m down in southwest Devon. I am using a Liber sensor at the moment I bought the starter pack last week for £133 from Abbott less Vat and P&P on their web site.

Last edited:
Reactions: lizzy74 and Nooch1

not-so-lucky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Still not had a response up north @Nickglanf - Seems the NICE and NHS says it's good to go, but the local authorities aren't ready yet? - Ridiculous really

Reactions: Nooch1

ECDRUM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am apparently “too well” to be funded. The reason that I am well is that I have been self funding for 18 months and have reduced my HbA1c from 8.5 to 6.5 through aggressive monitoring and bolus adjustment. This results in 25 to 30 scans per day. If I did that with test strips it would cost twice the price of Freestyle. So the NHS is shooting itself in the foot. This technology( and other brands of CGM) are I believe the route to a major reduction in complications and it is being denied to all but the most fragile diabetics. If you self fund you risk being too well. Catch 22.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Very interesting, @ECDRUM . I'm a bit of a fragile type 1 at the moment while I try to sort out dawn hypos. I test frequently but need to be careful not to 'stack' insulin corrections for (resulting?) HIs during the day. The funding issue is complicated and seems not to be evenhanded. Maybe more a question of cost than bureaucracy, but probably both. Do you use Freestyle bloodtest strips? There is a delay effect of about 1.5 mmol/L between bloodtests and interstitial tests.

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got the go ahead today for libre on prescription. Been self funding for the last year and hba1c down from 7.5 to 5.9. I think that helped my case rather than hindered it. Still seems kinda pot luck..

Reactions: anniehi41 and kev-w

Q4444

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am too well to get it on prescription so if I self fund , my consultant will not see the results. We should do away with postcode prescribing. I am the wrong age to move to an area that prescribes it on the NHS . I have had type 1 for 56 years but no reason for the disease has been investigated. Have rheumatoid arthritis and get an even more expensive treatment for that on the NHS.I am in the process of taking the local CCG to the parliamentary and health service ombudsman

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Got the go ahead today for libre on prescription. Been self funding for the last year and hba1c down from 7.5 to 5.9. I think that helped my case rather than hindered it. Still seems kinda pot luck..
Excellent stuff, let’s hope a few more of us can get them on prescription soon. Where abouts are you from in the U.K. if you don’t mind me asking?

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am too well to get it on prescription so if I self fund , my consultant will not see the results. We should do away with postcode prescribing. I am the wrong age to move to an area that prescribes it on the NHS . I have had type 1 for 56 years but no reason for the disease has been investigated. Have rheumatoid arthritis and get an even more expensive treatment for that on the NHS.I am in the process of taking the local CCG to the parliamentary and health service ombudsman
I’m liking the point your fighting back, too well but diabetic. Your only too well because you care about your diabetes and look after yourself. What a disgrace.

Glaswegian

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Glaswegian

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have never posted before, but saw Q4444 and thought, somebody else who has had Type 1 for over 50 years! I have had it for 55 years, 56 in November. Have done my bit for research having trialled the 'newhuman insulin' way back when! and was also lucky enough to be a patient of the late Dr Ireland of Glasgow Southern General Hospital who invented the original pen inject and have been using it every since.

Heard about Libre freestyle last year at Diabetic Clinic but they only had one on trial and it had been given out.

As you can imagine my finger tips are like leather now with pinpricks and very painful. Phoned clinic last week and got a trial Libre with two weeks supply, it is heaven, though I cannot afford to finance sensors as my pension does not cover this.

It certainly keeps me on my toes as I am not 'cheating' anymore so am hoping my Hba will improve.

Have asked GP surgery to keep me informed as to when I can get it on prescription, but will need to keep checking. Diabetic Clinic suggested that as I now have the Libre I could maybe just order/pay for sensors for holiday which I think is a good idea.

So far so good with Diabetes though my eyes are starting to need more attention now, but I suppose that comes with age as well as Diabetes.

Glaswegian

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have never posted before, but saw Q4444 and thought, somebody else who has had Type 1 for over 50 years! I have had it for 55 years, 56 in November. Have done my bit for research having trialled the 'newhuman insulin' way back when! and was also lucky enough to be a patient of the late Dr Ireland of Glasgow Southern General Hospital who invented the original pen inject and have been using it every since.

Heard about Libre freestyle last year at Diabetic Clinic but they only had one on trial and it had been given out.

As you can imagine my finger tips are like leather now with pinpricks and very painful. Phoned clinic last week and got a trial Libre with two weeks supply, it is heaven, though I cannot afford to finance sensors as my pension does not cover this.

It certainly keeps me on my toes as I am not 'cheating' anymore so am hoping my Hba will improve.

Have asked GP surgery to keep me informed as to when I can get it on prescription, but will need to keep checking. Diabetic Clinic suggested that as I now have the Libre I could maybe just order/pay for sensors for holiday which I think is a good idea.

So far so good with Diabetes though my eyes are starting to need more attention now, but I suppose that comes with age as well as Diabetes.

Update

Now got libre with prescription paid. Attended course at Hospital along with 60 other diabetics and got a bag containing Freestyle Libre and two boxes go sensors. GP now being advised that I am eligible for free prescriptions having done the ‘course’. Should take two weeks for letter to arrive at GP’! We will see.

Help required, anybody got any hints on how to take adhesive off arms when removing sensor. Have tried scrubbing and nail varnish remover to no avail.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Update

Now got libre with prescription paid. Attended course at Hospital along with 60 other diabetics and got a bag containing Freestyle Libre and two boxes go sensors. GP now being advised that I am eligible for free prescriptions having done the ‘course’. Should take two weeks for letter to arrive at GP’! We will see.

Help required, anybody got any hints on how to take adhesive off arms when removing sensor. Have tried scrubbing and nail varnish remover to no avail.
Baby oil or a moisturiser. Congratulations on the prescription.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Update

Great news!

I use acetone to get the sticky off, followed by a good dollop of Bepanthen nappy cream (left over from a recent tattoo) to help heal the skin after a fortnight of being covered. Any marks from the sensor vanish within 12 hours, I’ve found. I have used Bio Oil, which works with some scrubbing, but was worried about the oil melting the adhesive on my new sensor, as I keep them on the same arm.

The other option is Tac-Away wipes, I get them paired with Skin Tac wipes to get the **** things to stay on in the first place (very successfully!)

Glaswegian

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Great news!

I use acetone to get the sticky off, followed by a good dollop of Bepanthen nappy cream (left over from a recent tattoo) to help heal the skin after a fortnight of being covered. Any marks from the sensor vanish within 12 hours, I’ve found. I have used Bio Oil, which works with some scrubbing, but was worried about the oil melting the adhesive on my new sensor, as I keep them on the same arm.

The other option is Tac-Away wipes, I get them paired with Skin Tac wipes to get the **** things to stay on in the first place (very successfully!)
Thanks will try

Reactions: LooperCat

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Update

Baby oil!

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just use soap and water and then some moisturizer cream been doing that for the last 12 months with no problems