Travelling by air

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit of a curious/daft question.

I am travelling to Dublin tomorrow and will be taking my testing kit in my "hand" luggage. Has anyone had any issues with the testing kits when going through customs? I am thinking the lancets are a really dangerous weapon in the wrong hands:) but given how prescriptive airlines can be I thought I would ask...

D

Deleted Account

I have taken test strips, insulin, lancets and needles in aircraft, through airport security with no trouble.

meandmaboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I am travelling to Dublin tomorrow and will be taking my testing kit in my "hand" luggage. Has anyone had any issues with the testing kits when going through customs? I am thinking the lancets are a really dangerous weapon in the wrong hands:) but given how prescriptive airlines can be I thought I would ask...
Hi ,
There shouldn't be any kind of problems for you, as I fill the tray@ security I point to my meds & testing kit in the tray & they come thro the scanner without any bother.
Have done this in JFK also with no problems.
Enjoy the trip

Reactions: ixi1429

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

No, they don't care really about diabetes paraphanalia, they see a lot of it these days.

The rules state that you should have a letter from your GP's practice or Endo' stating that you're a diabetic and will have sharps with you. I have such a letter but have never been asked for it.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
No, they don't care really about diabetes paraphanalia, they see a lot of it these days.

The rules state that you should have a letter from your GP's practice or Endo' stating that you're a diabetic and will have sharps with you. I have such a letter but have never been asked for it.
Never had any probs and never been asked for the letter

Sharon14448

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Had no trouble taking sharps through - once asked if sharps had caps. They also examined my bag of jelly babies in my hand luggage.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I recently flew to Spain. In preparation the DSN provided me with a letter indicating that I must be allowed to take all diabetes equipment including my insulin, needles and lancets etc as hand luggage. I was all prepared and they did not question anything.

Hope you had the same luck