Prediabetes Will my hba1c increase with this diet change?

Jared1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi I'll give some back ground and try keep short. 3 months ago I had hba1c of 49 (prediabetes here in NZ) I was 102.5kg - doctor told me loose weight exercise more.

3 months later with that prescription my hba1c is 35 (I assume that's pretty good) and I now weigh about 80kg. Im only eating about 1000cal a day - according to my fitbit mostly always under 15% of that is carb (that's not net its total carb) so I guess I've been some what been low carb without nessasery meaning to.

I'm planning on slowly increasing calories with the idea that by time I'm eating enough to maintain weight im between 75-77kg.

My concern is this - even if I still eat the same ratios of carbs (%) as I do now but add another 13-1500 calories a day I'll be in effect more than doubling my carb intake. What effect can I expect that to have on my hba1c? I don't have a history of long periods with high numbers and 49 was highest - it's it likely with weight loss and exercise I'll be more insulin sensitive?

I realise it's a hard question to answer - it's just hard my gp is advises against me monitoring daily and I don't have a meter so I basicly have to wait 3 months and guess I'm looking at how I can best transition to a higher calorie diet with out to much impact

Jared1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
My feeling is that calories don't matter unless you have too few of them

but

carbs do matter so instead of % carbs, just try to limit them as much as possible which at this point is for weight loss. You are setting up routines for long term health via your personal diet of low carb food.

Also, sweat is your friend
Yea I used to eat shocking but I'm quite happy with the change I've made quite like it - pretty easily keep with eating the same as do now - just need to up the calories or ill waste away. Guess what I'm saying even though I eat low carb now if I double the calories then it's double the carbs-I'm not so worried about the calories it's just if I have 50g carb a day it will end up more like 100 and don't know what impact that will have - all my carb is basicly from vege and without cutting some pretty nutritious things out prob can't get to much lower my daily diet is eggs--chicken and Mayo--and mince stew( tomato, onion, kale) with Coliflower.

The exercise thing is still hard but realise I've got to do it-today for example im up to 7500steps and 50 floors so far - basicly walked up a big (really big) hill in the forest - that was sweat .... So much so I was contemplating just rolling back down for a while lol

Jared1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
that's just it. If you are doing well with 50 carbs, do not double them to 100. Stick with 50 carbs and add 50 calories in a low carb food or fat. It's not proportional but total carbs that matter. And calories mostly don't matter
I need to add 1500 calories calories though

Jared1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
that's just it. If you are doing well with 50 carbs, do not double them to 100. Stick with 50 carbs and add 50 calories in a low carb food or fat. It's not proportional but total carbs that matter. And calories mostly don't matter
Im loosing on average 2kg every week with what I'm eating need to way up my calories and that's hard with zero carbs at all

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Protein and fats, @Jared1 . Basically meat, poultry, fish and kaimoana, gives a natural fats and protein balance, and does not spike your BG, ie is very low carb.

You know the score - avoid breads, rice, potatoe, kuumara etc. Fill up on on non carby food. Dairy if you are dairy tolerant. Cream. Cook with butter. But I am a LCHF/Keto eater, so I would say that :).

I eat about 1600 to1800 calories a day, and don't think anything of it. No calorie counting, no way. I keep an eye on my carb intake, and not hard to keep it keto level, ie very low carb.

You know I think you should get a blood glucose meter. Talk about getting it on prescription from your doctor, if you don't want to do a self management course care of the state. It's CareSens, but something is better than nothing.

My feeling is, you are getting anxious? And I don't blame you really. The BG meter will allay your fears - as you can see what is happening with your BG after you have eaten something. I can't imagine my diet and exercise regime without my meter. (And my partner and my cats, says my partner! ;) :).) Actually to be honest, I have three meters! Two caresens (one better quality than the other), and an AccuChek, which I love and use when I can afford to get the test strips and get them shipped from India.

Jared1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Protein and fats, @Jared1 . Basically meat, poultry, fish and kaimoana, gives a natural fats and protein balance, and does not spike your BG, ie is very low carb.

You know the score - avoid breads, rice, potatoe, kuumara etc. Fill up on on non carby food. Dairy if you are dairy tolerant. Cream. Cook with butter. But I am a LCHF/Keto eater, so I would say that :).

I eat about 1600 to1800 calories a day, and don't think anything of it. No calorie counting, no way. I keep an eye on my carb intake, and not hard to keep it keto level, ie very low carb.

You know I think you should get a blood glucose meter. Talk about getting it on prescription from your doctor, if you don't want to do a self management course care of the state. It's CareSens, but something is better than nothing.

My feeling is, you are getting anxious? And I don't blame you really. The BG meter will allay your fears - as you can see what is happening with your BG after you have eaten something. I can't imagine my diet and exercise regime without my meter. (And my partner and my cats, says my partner! ;) :).) Actually to be honest, I have three meters! Two caresens (one better quality than the other), and an AccuChek, which I love and use when I can afford to get the test strips and get them shipped from India.
Yea I know I think I eat pretty good atm as far as carbs see attached screen shot - that's 762 calories 14%of which is carb (approx 27g without doing the maths) - thing is I need 2500 calories or more just to maintain so if I simply increase portions up to 2500 calories in all of a sudden up to 86g carb a day - that's a pretty big jump ain't it?

Jared1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Yea I know I think I eat pretty good atm as far as carbs see attached screen shot - that's 762 calories 14%of which is carb (approx 27g without doing the maths) - thing is I need 2500 calories or more just to maintain so if I simply increase portions up to 2500 calories in all of a sudden up to 86g carb a day - that's a pretty big jump ain't it?
Grr won't up load screen shot!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I find it harder to maintain than to lose so I understand your concern. I had to raise my levels of fats and protein to maintain weight without raising carb levels. You are different, you are a young bloke and could build muscle (I'm a scrawny old woman).
I added creamed coffee to my daily intake of fats and have extra cheese and eggs, just these few tweaks saw me right.
I am pretty sure that doubling your carb intake will have a negative affect but with a glucometer you would know within days instead of the months waiting for the HbA1c test.

Reactions: JohnR127

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Healthy fats are no carb. Healthy fats very naturally attached to animal products! We are extremely lucky to live in a country with lovely grass fed beef, lamb, and free range chooks and eggs. And the kaimoana! Wo ho! Readily available. And low carb veg. And the dairy. We are talking mega-energy providing food, and won't spike you.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Are you a scrawny old woman @Guzzler ? Well I never! :). We scrawny older broads can build muscle too you know! I say this as a middle aged woman who shows anyone who is interested, and plenty of those who are not, according to my daughter, lol, my calf muscles and arm muscles :happy:. I have gotten very pleased by my abs lately which have responded well to the garden sheering. Chop chop!

Protein, healthy fats - great for muscle development. Muscle development good for increasing insulin sensitivity, getting extra glucose out of the blood stream and into the muscle cells.

Reactions: Diakat

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Are you a scrawny old woman @Guzzler ? Well I never! :). We scrawny older broads can build muscle too you know! I say this as a middle aged woman who shows anyone who is interested, and plenty of those who are not, according to my daughter, lol, my calf muscles and arm muscles :happy:. I have gotten very pleased by my abs lately which have responded well to the garden sheering. Chop chop!

Protein, healthy fats - great for muscle development. Muscle development good for increasing insulin sensitivity, getting extra glucose out of the blood stream and into the muscle cells.
Well done! I am disabled and use a wheelchair, unable to do any form of structured excercise though I have seen a slight improvement in my mobility (transferring) since I started LCHF. So, maybe I can hang onto my meagre muscles in future.

Reactions: Petaluk

Jared1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Healthy fats are no carb. Healthy fats very naturally attached to animal products! We are extremely lucky to live in a country with lovely grass fed beef, lamb, and free range chooks and eggs. And the kaimoana! Wo ho! Readily available. And low carb veg. And the dairy. We are talking mega-energy providing food, and won't spike you.
I hear what your saying - is pitty can't up load screen shot of my food diary - you would see the only carbs I'm getting are from a tiny bit of milk - a couple from Mayo (is full fat Mayo) and the rest is in vege. Would you suggest I maybe only increase meats etc not vege (by vege I'm talking Coliflower and things I would consider good) other wise in pretty much already don't what you say - I could swap milk for cream - I have eggs every day for breakfast so I'm basicly at zero it's really just the vege

Jared1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I find it harder to maintain than to lose so I understand your concern. I had to raise my levels of fats and protein to maintain weight without raising carb levels. You are different, you are a young bloke and could build muscle (I'm a scrawny old woman).
I added creamed coffee to my daily intake of fats and have extra cheese and eggs, just these few tweaks saw me right.
I am pretty sure that doubling your carb intake will have a negative affect but with a glucometer you would know within days instead of the months waiting for the HbA1c test.
Thanks for reply - it's frustrating cause been doing so good and don't want to lose grip on that and just don't know really - guess no one knows truly what the effect is - it's just seemingly hard to add so many extra calories with zero carb - it's kind of compounded by all the extra exercise my fitness tracker says I've already burnt 3000 cal today and the days not even over yet - will prob get up to about 3500 by midnight

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for reply - it's frustrating cause been doing so good and don't want to lose grip on that and just don't know really - guess no one knows truly what the effect is - it's just seemingly hard to add so many extra calories with zero carb - it's kind of compounded by all the extra exercise my fitness tracker says I've already burnt 3000 cal today and the days not even over yet - will prob get up to about 3500 by midnight
You could try nuts (the lower carb ones - full of fats and protein but don't go mad). Avocados, olive oil, coconut oil, animal fats of any kind and the protein needn't be best steak or wild pampered salmon, it can be minced beef but not the lean stuff and fattier cuts of meat like lamb shanks etc. If you are excercing to lower your bg then you could in theory raise your carb intake slightly but without a glucometer you may not be aware that you could be one of those people for whom excercise actually raises bg levels.