Have no idea what I'm doing

Vwvonnie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I need some help I am due to start insulin in the morning I have no idea what I'm doing I know I have to take it at 8 in the morning and then 3 times a day with meals it will be first time iv ever done this x I have been diabetic for 11 years on metformin no problems last 4 month my blood sugars have not been below 20.
Just worried about the injecting bit and how il feel x

Reactions: Debtryketo

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Vwvonnie your information says you are type 1. Is that a mistake? Should it say T2? It's really important that this info is correct or you may be given the wrong information/advice

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
How have you survived as a T1 without insulin? Were you previously a T2 and have you been reclassified as a T1?

Taking insulin is OK, (whatever type you are) there's nothing to worry about except the odd hypo here and there.

I'm not saying it's easy, it isn't and there's a lot to learn but you'll get used to it.

Please ask questions you need to ask.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
T1 without insulin? Would have thought that was not possible.

Vwvonnie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How have you survived as a T1 without insulin? Were you previously a T2 and have you been reclassified as a T1?

Taking insulin is OK, (whatever type you are) there's nothing to worry about except the odd hypo here and there.

I'm not saying it's easy, it isn't and there's a lot to learn but you'll get used to it.

Please ask questions you need to ask.
Previously type 2 on metformin and glicazide il be honest I really don't know what's going on

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Previously type 2 on metformin and glicazide il be honest I really don't know what's going on

Have you asked your doctor/nurse which type you are? It is quite common for a type 2 to progress to the stage where insulin becomes necessary. It just means they are Type 2 insulin dependent. It is also possible you may have LADA (Late onset Type 1) but I suggest you make some enquiries about this.

You really need to have a discussion with him or your nurse. Haven't you been given any help at all with the insulin? Have you stopped the Metformin and Gliclazide now?

Vwvonnie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you asked your doctor/nurse which type you are? It is quite common for a type 2 to progress to the stage where insulin becomes necessary. It just means they are Type 2 insulin dependent. It is also possible you may have LADA (Late onset Type 1) but I suggest you make some enquiries about this.

You really need to have a discussion with him or your nurse. Haven't you been given any help at all with the insulin? Have you stopped the Metformin and Gliclazide now?
I was just told that I need insulin as my blood sugars have not been below 20 for months I have stopped glicazide but still on metformin as well as novarapid 3 times a day and Lantus in morning I'm so confused

Kalobe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The highs and lows
Injections get easier as you get used to it so don’t worry about that bit for the long term. (I’ve been practicing for 42 years).
I would see if you can get more training as you seem to have been left a bit in the lurch and it’s not nice to worry.
Pen style injection devices are easier imo. I don’t know what you have been given it might be worth asking your DN.
Your bloods will improve with insulin. Be careful and check your blood glucose as you might get hypoglycaemia more easily using insulin.
Hope everything goes well.

Reactions: Brunneria

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was just told that I need insulin as my blood sugars have not been below 20 for months I have stopped glicazide but still on metformin as well as novarapid 3 times a day and Lantus in morning I'm so confused

This doesn't mean you are now Type 1. Many Type 2s progress to needing insulin. Many of them are members of this forum.
I have my fingers crossed for you that the insulin injections will bring your glucose levels under control. How have you gone on so far today?

Vwvonnie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
This doesn't mean you are now Type 1. Many Type 2s progress to needing insulin. Many of them are members of this forum.
I have my fingers crossed for you that the insulin injections will bring your glucose levels under control. How have you gone on so far today?
I didn't realise type 2 could be controlled with insulin blood sugar was 19.9 when I woke had insulin my once a day one it's now 23.8 I really don't know what to do as I work nights so I would of thought that it's better to take in evening I have novarapid to take 3 times a day but I don't eat during the day as I'm in bed im so confused x

Vwvonnie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Injections get easier as you get used to it so don’t worry about that bit for the long term. (I’ve been practicing for 42 years).
I would see if you can get more training as you seem to have been left a bit in the lurch and it’s not nice to worry.
Pen style injection devices are easier imo. I don’t know what you have been given it might be worth asking your DN.
Your bloods will improve with insulin. Be careful and check your blood glucose as you might get hypoglycaemia more easily using insulin.
Hope everything goes well.
Thank you x

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't realise type 2 could be controlled with insulin blood sugar was 19.9 when I woke had insulin my once a day one it's now 23.8 I really don't know what to do as I work nights so I would of thought that it's better to take in evening I have novarapid to take 3 times a day but I don't eat during the day as I'm in bed im so confused x
"Novorapid 3 times a day" means with your 3 meals. Even though you're on night shift, you still eat meals. If you miss out a meal, you miss out the Novorapid. Don't miss out the Lantus as that is background insulin.

This should all have been explained to you. You should ask your DSN or practice nurse for more information to ease your mind.

Vwvonnie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
"Novorapid 3 times a day" means with your 3 meals. Even though you're on night shift, you still eat meals. If you miss out a meal, you miss out the Novorapid. Don't miss out the Lantus as that is background insulin.

This should all have been explained to you. You should ask your DSN or practice nurse for more information to ease your mind.
So I work nights and have lunch at around 2am I don't eat during day but have been told to do novarapid before food so do I take at night and not during day and Lantos at 8am
My nurse not at work today x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So I work nights and have lunch at around 2am I don't eat during day but have been told to do novarapid before food so do I take at night and not during day and Lantos at 8am

Novarapid is a fast acting insulin designed to keep your post meal levels down. This is why it is taken before eating each of 3 main meals, whether your meal is 2am or 2pm. The time of day doesn't matter. It is the meal that matters. As you have been told to take it 3 times a day, your doctor/nurse has assumed you eat 3 meals - breakfast, lunch and dinner. When you eat them doesn't matter, but when you do, you need to take the appropriate dose of novarapid.

Lantus is a slow releasing insulin, designed to keep your levels low and stable throughout the day and night with the Novarapid giving this a big boost when you eat.

You really need some help from your nurse or doctor.

Reactions: BaliRob

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

It might help if you modify the instructions slightly. Not "day" but "working day".

Take your Lantus soon after you wake up. Take your Novorapid before each meal.

It is your "working day" which is important. This is when your body is awake and active and you are eating.

If you are, for example, on a 3 shift pattern then each week (earlies, lates, nights) you will start your working day at a different time, so your timing for your insulin will be different.

Edit: as you are on nights you should be asleep now. Hopefully you will get to read this later when you wake up.

Vwvonnie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It might help if you modify the instructions slightly. Not "day" but "working day".

Take your Lantus soon after you wake up. Take your Novorapid before each meal.

It is your "working day" which is important. This is when your body is awake and active and you are eating.

If you are, for example, on a 3 shift pattern then each week (earlies, lates, nights) you will start your working day at a different time, so your timing for your insulin will be different.

Edit: as you are on nights you should be asleep now. Hopefully you will get to read this later when you wake up.
Thank you I rang my nurse she said to take Lantus at 8 in the morning every day novarapid when I have a snack before I go to work then another with my meal and one when I get home in the morning that's what iv done my bloods came down to 14 but then shot up to 23 on my break x

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When anyone is put on insulin, it takes time to find the correct doses of insulin. You should, in time , be able to adjust your Novorapid dose according to how much or how little carbohydrate you eat. Hopefully your nurse has made arrangements to keep in touch to find out how your BG results are doing.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Thank you I rang my nurse she said to take Lantus at 8 in the morning every day novarapid when I have a snack before I go to work then another with my meal and one when I get home in the morning that's what iv done my bloods came down to 14 but then shot up to 23 on my break x

Are you even awake at 8 o'clock in the morning?

Anyway, looks as though your nurse is getting to grips with you being on shifts. :)

KenBachelor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheese
VwVonnie - You will find that you can do anything if you have to. The only real problem with taking insulin is that you'll need to plan ahead and eat to a strict timetable.