Alcohol eeek!!

Fiona29

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry for keep mithering, I'm still getting used to this lol.
Here goes.... is alcohol a definite no no?

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
I don't know about Type 2 but for me as a Type 1 there are absolutely no problems with alcohol provided I just check my blood sugar, you may want to look up the content of your favoured drinks as it varies a great deal in sugar content.

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dry wine and spirits are ok. Beer and sweet coctails are no no. But in limited quantity.

Reactions: Fiona29

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I think the answer is probably "drink to your meter"!
I do indulge in beer which increases my carbohydrate intake. It would be good to have food labelling for beers as well. I understand Holstein Pils is a good low carbohydrate option.
Nothing is absolutely forbidden, but if you indulge in one thing then it is wise to cut back in other areas.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My nurse once told me that red wine is an excellent choice as not only is it heart healthy, but also helps lower BS levels whilst it is in your system, but warned me not to use it as medicine!! She also said it is best taken with or after food and not before. I ignored that bit because I like a small glass before dinner.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Sorry for keep mithering, I'm still getting used to this lol.
Here goes.... is alcohol a definite no no?

As i understand it, its the mixers which cause the problem...:happy:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Fiona29 - As the others have said, sensible drinking of alcohol is fine, if you can avoid the sweet stuff. Very dry white wine, or champagne, red wine of spirits, plus a diet mixer are fine. Bears tend to be tricky for T2, not on hefty medication and any cocktails involving sugary syrupy would likely be a challenge.

D

Deleted member 308541

I drink low carb mid strength beer, and any of the single malt whiskeys that I get given me.

No problem with either of them.
be5Za.gif

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Mithering. North of Watford? :)
Picked that up as a Lancashire expression.

Reactions: mountaintom

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gin and Slimline Tonic is highly recommended :happy:

Especially if the tonic contains quinine. Helps prevent malaria! Or may be contraindicated with other medications. Or just hard to find decent tonic water. This could be useful non-medical advice for Londoners given they're restoring wetlands that were drained to prevent the ague, or malaria. Used to be popular in the East End before the marshes were drained.

But also check if medications say avoid alcohol because that's usually there for a reason. If it's all clear, avoid liquid bread (aka 'beer'), and sweet drinks. And keep an eye on your meter. Those yeasts died to convert sugars into alcohol, so we owe it to them to raise a glass! Hic.

Reactions: LouWilk059

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
I’m celebrating 100 days sober today so please all raise a glass for me you swines.
Good for you! Congratulations! Will enjoy one glass of wine in your honour and another for my son (he's over a year into it and I'm so proud of him). It's a tough road but keep on it.

Reactions: mountaintom