Stressing over this- Any ideas?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Post in Type 2 Forum. Sounds like that's what they determined you have. No DKA no antibodies. There used to be a test for insulin levels called "C-peptide" but it's pretty old they may not do it nowdays.
I had a c-peptide done 2 weeks ago

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
It’s just the whole constantly being tested and prodded by the hospital recently. Nothing against any types of diabetes.
I don't like the prodding bit but look on it as something good because it's going to help me in the end:)

Reactions: benhippers661

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a c-peptide done 2 weeks ago
Yeah they still do it. I think for the most part if the doctor treating you can't figure out if you're Type 1 or Type 2 pretty quick they should be fixing your refrigerator not you. Probably make more money at that too.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Yeah they still do it. I think for the most part if the doctor treating you can't figure out if you're Type 1 or Type 2 pretty quick they should be fixing your refrigerator not you. Probably make more money at that too.
I totally disagree. Doctors rely on data from tests to give an accurate diagnosis. Even when they do have test results, there are still variables. I would rather a doctor give anyone presenting with diabetic symptoms their time and not make a snap decision.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I totally disagree. Doctors rely on data from tests to give an accurate diagnosis. Even when they do have test results, there are still variables. I would rather a doctor give anyone presenting with diabetic symptoms their time and not make a snap decision.

Part of the misdiagnosis is down to the stereotype T2 being 40+ and fat. Someone presenting like that with high blood sugar and all the symptoms is likely to be diagnosed T2 without the T1 tests being done. If someone with the same symptoms and blood sugar levels but is thin and young, they are likely to be diagnosed as T1 straight off. (and probably also fat ones)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Part of the misdiagnosis is down to the stereotype T2 being 40+ and fat. Someone presenting like that with high blood sugar and all the symptoms is likely to be diagnosed T2 without the T1 tests being done. If someone with the same symptoms and blood sugar levels but is thin and young, they are likely to be diagnosed as T1 straight off. (and probably also fat ones)
In any situation, there could potentially be a misdiagnosis if the doctor being based soley on age, physique and BG but I find it hard to believe. Tests are done to try and give a more precise diagnosis. The "constantly being tested and prodded by the hospital" that @benhippers661 mentioned is actually a good thing. That's why I feel the comments made by @TheBigNewt are misguided and slightly puerile

Gina G

I think this article in The Telegraph from 2011 is still relevant to the misdiagnosis of diabetes types.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/8355334/100000-received-wrong-diabetes-diagnosis.html

rmz80 this is very interesting read, so I wonder how do the doctors find out a patient actually isn't diabetic, once they're diagnosed??
My son has been told because he doesn't need insulin or meds as his blood readings have been in the non diabetic normal range
for the last 7 months that he isn't diabetic, after been told he was type 1

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude & condescending people. I will call you out on it.
I think you were lucky. Personally, knowing that my pancreas is producing amounts of insulin in the normal range has been very useful.
How much are these tests?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
How much are these tests?

I've seen them as much as £160, I had mine done at Genova Diagnostics and I paid £65 at the time. I've noticed that their price list looks nothing like the price list my Nutritional Therapist has. Maybe there's different rates for referrers?

Reactions: XxTinkerxx

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've seen them as much as £160, I had mine done at Genova Diagnostics and I paid £65 at the time. I've noticed that their price list looks nothing like the price list my Nutritional Therapist has. Maybe there's different rates for referrers?
If happily pay for one in London. Any suggestions on where to go?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
If happily pay for one in London. Any suggestions on where to go?
I'm not sure if still open but I had alot done at London Bridge Hospital not St.Thomas's or Guy's but a small private hospital. If they don't do it they will know who does. At Blackheath hospital too.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Any suggestions on where to go?

You might like to contact Genova Diagnostics, their headquarters might be in New Malden or somewhere like that, but you have blood taken at an address about 10 minutes by taxi from Marylebone Station. I need to check some of my old paperwork to give a full address.

Sometimes I watch a program called "The Curse of Oak Island", their goal is to find treasure, but are happy gathering data, pieces of the jigsaw. That's a bit like my journey, none of the bits of information would be considered essential by a doctor, but together they form a much better picture.

XxTinkerxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks Guys. I'll try London Bridge hospital as I work near there anyway.

Reactions: ickihun

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
rmz80 this is very interesting read, so I wonder how do the doctors find out a patient actually isn't diabetic, once they're diagnosed??
My son has been told because he doesn't need insulin or meds as his blood readings have been in the non diabetic normal range
for the last 7 months that he isn't diabetic, after been told he was type 1
This test can usually tell https://www.diabetes.co.uk/oral-glucose-tolerance-test.html