What is normal fingertip sensitivity?

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm 99% sure that my fingers aren't as sensitive as they used to be, but I could be imagining things. I can feel things in every finger, but I think the pressure required might be noticeably more than in the good old days.

One test I tried was to wave a hand at the side of my head slowly, getting closer to my head, until I could feel my hair being lightly touched. I can feel my hair being touched well before I can feel anything in my finterips.

Another test I tried was something very similar, getting closer and closer to a small and light bit of bubble wrap on the table. The bubble wrap moved, and I could hear the contact, well before I could feel anything in my fingertips.

I'm wondering if this is normal, and what kinds of things other people notice?

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Are you testing on your tips, not using the sides as most recommend - or are you wondering about peripheral neuropathy ?

Last edited:

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
@AdamJames Hi Adam, how's your toes. I have PN in my fingers and toes but it is quite mild and not causing me much trouble. Mine feel a little bit numb but just a little bit. Don't really notice it much. There are test pins available for this.
Glenn

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you testing on your tips, not using the sides as most recommend - or are you wondering about peripheral neuropathy ?

Do you mean bg testing, i.e. pricking my fingers? I always use the sides for that. For testing sensitivity, I've been using the very tips.

I'm wondering about peripheral neuropathy. Typing on a keyboard, which is pretty much all I do in my job, is definitely starting to feel a little strange. I've also noticed that I'm getting a bit clumsy when doing anything fiddly with my hands, and a lack of touch feedback could explain that.

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There are more nerve endings on the pads than the tips, if you change the angle of attack you might improve feedback.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AdamJames Hi Adam, how's your toes. I have PN in my fingers and toes but it is quite mild and not causing me much trouble. Mine feel a little bit numb but just a little bit. Don't really notice it much. There are test pins available for this.
Glenn

My feet are also not feeling quite right, but it's a confused situation down there as recently I've got some new boots and have been doing a lot of walking and there has been some rubbing. There are some definite solid patches of thick, dead skin on which there is no sensation at all, but that seems normal. However they feel like my fingers, something not quite right.

If I have PN then it's mild like yours I think. Certainly not causing me much trouble, just quite noticeable especially when doing delicate tasks with my hands.

I did have a foot check about a month ago and passed with no problems, and was put into the low risk category. However I've been doing a lot of walking and I think I've been over-eating as a result, my blood glucose certainly hasn't been great for a while. Also was ill a few weeks ago which raised it and it's still not down to where it should be.

I think the sensation has lessened so gradually that I haven't noticed it till now. I'm pretty sure that, a year ago, I would be able to feel it when my fingertips lightly brush my hair or a light bit of bubble wrap. But I wasn't exactly testing things like that, so maybe my memory is playing tricks, that's why I was wondering what other people can feel.