Keto Outing: How to order a Keto Friendly coffee?

Pavan71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
when we are travelling or when we are outside, it should not become a challenge to enjoy/order a Keto friendly coffee without losing the taste of it...

Requested for a Latte with double cream instead of Milk when I wanted to enjoy a nice *bucks coffee.
Are there better ways to bend rules and go for more keto friendly coffees while ordering?. Please suggest.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was still drinking coffee i used to order an Americano and add cream to it. :)

Reactions: Pavan71

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My type 2 buddy orders a black coffee with a jug of cream. This T1 orders a massive bucket of espresso ;)

Reactions: RAPS_od

Pavan71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My type 2 buddy orders a black coffee with a jug of cream. This T1 orders a massive bucket of espresso ;)

I like the reply. But want to know if we are keto friendly by adding cream to the coffee...

D

Deleted member 308541

I like the reply. But want to know if we are keto friendly by adding cream to the coffee...
I only drink black coffee, no sugar / sweeteners, sometimes with a pinch of salt, so I can not help in regards to putting cream in.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
95% of the time I order black when out, but on rare occasions I might get a cappuccino or simply add cream to black coffee.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Ah, I see! Sorry. Yes. Having cream in coffee is a keto thing, make sure it’s double and not single cream :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
when we are travelling or when we are outside, it should not become a challenge to enjoy/order a Keto friendly coffee without losing the taste of it...

Requested for a Latte with double cream instead of Milk when I wanted to enjoy a nice *bucks coffee.
Are there better ways to bend rules and go for more keto friendly coffees while ordering?. Please suggest.
A latte with cream will still have quite a few carbs.. I have just over a tablespoon of cream in my coffee which only has about 0.5g of carbs by the time you get up to 200ml (not a lot for a latte) you are at 5.2g per cup.. I usually have a large Americano with cream at a coffee shop when I go. You get the bulk of the water but far fewer carbs.

petalmoore

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Would Almond or Coconut Milk work?
Unfortunately, In my experience they have more carbs than regular milk because as well as nuts they often have rice flour etc as a stabilizer, and sugar for flavour. Check out some cartons in the supermarket and compare with milk. And let me know if you find a non-dairy milk that’s lower carb than milk - I’ll be round ther like a shot!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Take a tub of cream/butter/coconut oil, one of those battery powered frother thingies, order a big black coffee and whizz up your own! :D

Rosalie_900

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Would Almond or Coconut Milk work?
Unsweetened almond milk by Alpro has zero carbs but is not availabile in coffee shops. I go for double cream in coffee - added to a black americano. I have the unsweetened almond milk in tea at home but just have weak earl grey or red bush when I am out. I have been known to carry my own cream or almond milk with me in a small container to add when needed.

I have also discovered that a very flat teaspoon of (unsweetened) Bournville cocoa powder made up with boiling water and then a little cream added is rather good. This is 2-3g carbs. Only available at home though.

Reactions: lindijanice

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cortado is a good option for coffee (small amount of steamed milk in the americano). I limit myself to 1 cappucino daily and in Costa you can get cinamon sprinkles on it. I am type 1 and this doesn't seem to spike my sugars.

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.

Heavy cream, yes--but not half & half, or 2% milk.