First hypo & I think I’ve really messed up.

RichardSp8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I’m a week into my diagnosis and treatment and two days into carb counting.
It’s still all so long in a such a whirlwind.
Anyway after a a kind of good day numbers wise for me since diagnosis I was cooking and 10 minutes before eating I took my calculated dose of insulin.
About an hour later I felt light headed, sweaty and faint so I tested my blood sugar it was 4!!! (I have been running in the high teens all week)
So I panicked and thought I was going to pass out and ate what I could find, forgetting everything my nurse had told me. I ate flapjack and Belvita x2 ( this is all wrong probably) as they were nearest to me and I was and I rested again after ten minutes and it’s started to climb and I felt better.
HOWEVER.
I’ve just done my before bed Glucose and it’s at 23 and now I’m panicking even more that I’ve made myself even more ill because of my stupidity?!

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah Richard, that is so human. Don’t worry - yes that is a mess-up, but show me the Type 1 who hasn’t done that. That was your first time.

When your BG has calmed down in a few days, work out what you want to do the next time it happens. The trick is not to let yourself go on eating till you stop feeling shakey. The normal advice is eat 15g carb, but for me that’s too much. Three dextrosols (3 x 3g carb) works for me without sending me sky high. You’ll have to try it out.

You have lots of time to practise!

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Over eating for a hypo is normal - we've all done it! Perfect excuse for the whole bag of haribos instead of just a few... have you been taught to take a correction dose of insulin when your levels get 20+?

RichardSp8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Over eating for a hypo is normal - we've all done it! Perfect excuse for the whole bag of haribos instead of just a few... have you been taught to take a correction dose of insulin when your levels get 20+?

No not yet, I have an appointment on Thursday and I’ve written down the timeline of my hypo and the GL results so I will discuss it with my nurse.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
YOU ARE NOT STUPID! It is a common occurrence. When low we always want to eat everything in site. Being strict about correcting a hypo is key to avoiding those later highs but can be easier said than done. Treat with pure sugar remedies only-Jelly Babies/Coke/lucozade etc. No more than 15 carbs. Anything else that may have fat in will slow down absorption, and you want it to happen quickly. Always have remedies close at hand. Retest after 15 minutes to check you are rising, if not rising treat again.

You may want to take a correction dose if you have been taught how to do so. I cannot advise you on that. If you don’t feel you can, drink lots of water to help flush out the excess sugar and address in the morning.
Don’t beat yourself up or worry, you’ll get better at this.

leahkian

Give yourself a chance you cannot do everything in 4 weeks. I used to always take to many carbs to get out of a hypo even after over 30 years, As you are new to carb counting things take time and your body may still produce a little insulin, then you have to factor in if you have done any exercise. There are things a head that will take longer to get used to than others, like on a hot day your insulin works faster but in the winter you may need more insulin as we are less active. These are all a head of you so for now just stick to carb counting and if you are unsure call your diabetic team and always keep a record of your BS to see if there is a pattern. Most of all you can only do your best and there will be good days and bad but diabetes is not like any other illness where you could do the same thing for 2 days running and get different results.

RichardSp8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
YOU ARE NOT STUPID! It is a common occurrence. When low we always want to eat everything in site. Being strict about correcting a hypo is key to avoiding those later highs but can be easier said than done. Treat with pure sugar remedies only-Jelly Babies/Coke/lucozade etc. No more than 15 carbs. Anything else that may have fat in will slow down absorption, and you want it to happen quickly. Always have remedies close at hand. Retest after 15 minutes to check you are rising, if not rising treat again.

You may want to take a correction dose if you have been taught how to do so. I cannot advise you on that. If you don’t feel you can, drink lots of water to help flush out the excess sugar and address in the morning.
Don’t beat yourself up or worry, you’ll get better at this.

Thank you Becca, I’ve been so bothered about doing everything right to the letter! I just freaked out. However now I know what it feels like when one is coming on and not to panic so much and just do what I’m supposed to do.
I’m going to speak to my nurse on Thursday about correction doses.
Thank you for the advice.

RichardSp8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Give yourself a chance you cannot do everything in 4 weeks. I used to always take to many carbs to get out of a hypo even after over 30 years, As you are new to carb counting things take time and your body may still produce a little insulin, then you have to factor in if you have done any exercise. There are things a head that will take longer to get used to than others, like on a hot day your insulin works faster but in the winter you may need more insulin as we are less active. These are all a head of you so for now just stick to carb counting and if you are unsure call your diabetic team and always keep a record of your BS to see if there is a pattern. Most of all you can only do your best and there will be good days and bad but diabetes is not like any other illness where you could do the same thing for 2 days running and get different results.

Thank you Leah.

I know I’m quickly realising that having Diabetes is a constant cat and mouse game with my sugars and my insulin at the moment.

I’m trying to wrap my head around everything and I suppose I just need to take more time to listen to my body and just not panic at every thing that comes my way.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
By the way, it takes about 15 mins for your fingerstick blood to catch up with your arterial blood. So eat first, but then there’s no point testing again till 15 mins later. 25 mins for a Libre in my experience.

Reactions: RichardSp8

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Aw, we’ve all done it. Sometimes I don’t know what I’ve shoved down my neck until I go downstairs the next morning and see the carnage of banana peels, empty wrappers etc. The low sugar makes you panic and it can take a little while to learn to overcome that feeling and have faith that a little glucose will sort you out. Easier said than done, but it’s very early days. My very first hypo sent me into the high 20s, I just ate until I felt better.

I’ve found that dextrose tablets are ideal, mainly because they aren’t especially nice. I can only manage three at a go, which is 9g carbs, and usually enough to get me out of the hole. I keep them EVERYWHERE. Under my pillow, by the bed, all my handbags, in the car, bathroom (hypos in the bath can be an awkward thing), jacket pockets...

It’ll get easier as you get the hang of it x

leahkian

You cannot take everything in at once it is impossible but doing thing in stages is better and make a not for yourself so if you need to go back you have it at hand

RichardSp8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aw, we’ve all done it. Sometimes I don’t know what I’ve shoved down my neck until I go downstairs the next morning and see the carnage of banana peels, empty wrappers etc. The low sugar makes you panic and it can take a little while to learn to overcome that feeling and have faith that a little glucose will sort you out. Easier said than done, but it’s very early days. My very first hypo sent me into the high 20s, I just ate until I felt better.

I’ve found that dextrose tablets are ideal, mainly because they aren’t especially nice. I can only manage three at a go, which is 9g carbs, and usually enough to get me out of the hole. I keep them EVERYWHERE. Under my pillow, by the bed, all my handbags, in the car, bathroom (hypos in the bath can be an awkward thing), jacket pockets...

Thanks so much. I don’t know what I would do without this forum and everyone on it it’s made this whirlwind of a week so much easier to bare when I feel confused or anxious!

Reactions: mountaintom

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Lucy, that has put my mind at rest. I had the tablets they were upstairs in my bag.
I’m going to keep some all over the place now.

I have a packet in my pocket at all times. I have a packet by my bed, 2 packets in the car, 2 in my diabetic man bag, a packet in the bathroom ETC.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Absolutely agree. I keep dextrosols in my diabetes kit with fingerpricker, sharps, strips.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Jelly babies 5 bags for a £1 at asda.............
They are small and can be secreted here there and everywhere.

Feeling low eat 1 bag then done.....leave it.....don't eat anything else.......20 minutes do a test......

The first time you follow this simple procedure and see it works on your blood machine you then know how to treat each hypo so as soon as jelly babies are in panic over as you know what happens next.

Please please don't think I'm insulting your intelligence as 44 years of experience has taught me to keep things simple and my brain isn't working right when I'm low so I'm programmed to eat jelly babies and psychologically as soon as jelly babies are in I let out a deep sigh......

All the best

Tony

ps
You need to like jelly babies!
You can tweak the quantity if levels go too high.

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They are like eating flavoured talc.

Fruit pastilles are what I use. But my stash seem to go missing as the kids eat them.

Fruit pastilles and jelly babies go missing here too. I had to tell off the Mrs the other day. “Tragic man dies of hypo as emergency jelly babies eaten by ruthless wife”.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They are like eating flavoured talc.

Jelly babies can be like that when they have too much dusting on them.

Jelly babies 5 bags for a £1 at asda.............
They are small and can be secreted here there and everywhere.

Feeling low eat 1 bag then done.....leave it.....don't eat anything else.......20 minutes do a test......

Just wanted to check how much you use to treat a low as I think the bags you're referring to are 18g carb/15g sugar per 1/2 pack not per pack?

Reactions: mountaintom