High exercise sensitivity ?

TheMiziko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey guys !
So, I'm currently facing a pretty difficult times with managing any kind of daily activities/exercise and m diabetes.
In fact, it's gotten to the point where I can't even wash, or move 3 boxes from my office without my blood sugar suddenly going down.

I can confirm it's not due to overdoes of insulin or some extensive training, but simple daily activities. At this point, I've given up on even small, 10 min walks and visits to most of my healthcare professionals because the trip would immediately put me in the hospital.

I've even tried not giving part, or even full amount of insulin for one of my meals, but it only resulted it in my sugar drooping down about 70-100 in 45-50 min and serious complications at the end of the day, or during the night.

Is it possible to have such high sensitivity to any exercise/activities ?

Broomthebeast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!
Are you eating enough? Are you sure you can't lower your insulin doses?
Exercise usually lowers blood sugar, but it shouldn't be to the point where you can't move anymore without an hypo...

Reactions: TheMiziko

TheMiziko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello!
Are you eating enough? Are you sure you can't lower your insulin doses?
Exercise usually lowers blood sugar, but it shouldn't be to the point where you can't move anymore without an hypo...
I don't know what you would consider enough, but it's currently 185-195g of carbs per day and around 18-19j of insulin :) So knowing that, what would be your suggestion ? lower basal/insulin does or increase carbs, altho I feel like I'm eating enough ?

Currently I weight 47kg, I''m around 159 and 19 years old, Female :)

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a 1/2 unit pen and if I'm exercising reduce my insulin significantly. 25% reduction for walking.

Reactions: TheMiziko

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know what you would consider enough, but it's currently 185-195g of carbs per day and around 18-19j of insulin :) So knowing that, what would be your suggestion ? lower basal/insulin does or increase carbs, altho I feel like I'm eating enough ?

Currently I weight 47kg, I''m around 159 and 19 years old, Female :)
A few things spring to mind; firstly, is your basal dose OK? Have you checked it recently?

Are you trying to exercise with bolus insulin on-board? About 2 hours after injecting is the critical time as it's when the insulin is at it's most potent and exercise magnifies it's effect. All the sub 3 mmol/L hypos I've had were when I did unexpected exercise during this period...

Finally, you are much more likely to have a hypo soon after a hypo - it takes time for your liver and muscles to restock after a hypo. Are you giving your body time to recover?

Good luck!

TheMiziko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Shiba Park

My basal is currently around 32-40% of my daily dose and last time I tested it it was perfectly alright :) So unfortunetly I don't think too high basal is a factor here, but who knows ?

Are you trying to exercise with bolus insulin on-board?

I tried to exercise with extremely low, or close to none insulin on board, that means exercise 1-2 hours after eating without even giving insulin. And as I've mentioned, even after simple tasks and not even moving for 10-15 minutes my sugar drops for around 90-130 and the lack of insulin comes out before sleep, around 10 hours after. It's really bad

And we're not talking here about some extensive training, just simple everyday thing. I don't want to have such sedentary lifestyle :( And I need to somehow be able to go to my doctors without it being a painful experience and stabilization for next 24/72 hours of sugar level swings. We don't have doctors on skype or anything else

Thank you so much for the encouragement my friend <3 and for the help ! It seems like someone who tracks their diet for past 472 days, logging every single thing I eat, eating and waking up/going sleep at regular hours and calculating every single dose of insulin nearly perfectly according to some rules in Diabetes, wanting to have some descend sugar levels, maybe I don't deserve it or something :/

It very much helps me <3

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Shiba Park

My basal is currently around 32-40% of my daily dose and last time I tested it it was perfectly alright :) So unfortunetly I don't think too high basal is a factor here, but who knows ?

I tried to exercise with extremely low, or close to none insulin on board, that means exercise 1-2 hours after eating without even giving insulin. And as I've mentioned, even after simple tasks and not even moving for 10-15 minutes my sugar drops for around 90-130 and the lack of insulin comes out before sleep, around 10 hours after. It's really bad

And we're not talking here about some extensive training, just simple everyday thing. I don't want to have such sedentary lifestyle :( And I need to somehow be able to go to my doctors without it being a painful experience and stabilization for next 24/72 hours of sugar level swings. We don't have doctors on skype or anything else

Thank you so much for the encouragement my friend <3 and for the help ! It seems like someone who tracks their diet for past 472 days, logging every single thing I eat, eating and waking up/going sleep at regular hours and calculating every single dose of insulin nearly perfectly according to some rules in Diabetes, wanting to have some descend sugar levels, maybe I don't deserve it or something :/

It very much helps me <3

Thinking about this logically, if this is happening when there is no bolus insulin then surely the drops must be due to excess basal insulin _for the circumstances_. This may be because of temporarily reduced needs due to a recent hypo or previous exercise, or maybe you need to reduce your basal for days when you choose to exercise? Alternatively eat more carbs in anticipation?

Unfortunately it's all trial and error to find what works, but perhaps a less analytical and more simplistic approach might be a better initial strategy?

Regards,