Type 2 Help crushing pills

MTS1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello can anyone please guide if it's OK to crush metformin and multivitamins pills and put it in water or food and then take it please know I'm not talking about extend relase your help will be greatly appreciated best regards shafi

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Why? Can't take tablets on their own?

MTS1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why? Can't take tablets on their own?
No I think I have gag reflex or something because every time I take it I feel it's stuck in my throat or something like that

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Personally, I wouldn't do it but I do get what you're saying. Had the same thing as a child

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps ask your pharmacist or GP ? I think it would depend on the tablet.

MTS1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perhaps ask your pharmacist or GP ? I think it would depend on the tablet.
Yeah pharmaacist here just have the training about medical salt names and use if medicine not experts

D

Deleted member 308541

Hello can anyone please guide if it's OK to crush metformin and multivitamins pills and put it in water or food and then take it

It says here at the link below.

7. You can crush standard metformin tablets using a pill crusher. You can get a pill crusher from most chemists.

You can add crushed medicine to your food.
You CANNOT crush modified release metformin.

It also says, do not crush the slow release variety of Metformin.

https://www.uclh.nhs.uk/PandV/PIL/Patient information leaflets/Metformin.pdf

lindisfel

Expert
It's a bad practice crushing tablets. Some have enteric coatings to stop damage to the first part of your digestive system as well as delayed release tablets.
Why can't you put them at the back of your tongue and than swallow a glass of water?
D.

Reactions: MTS1980

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'ts not a good idea to modify medication formats - they have been 'engineered' in terms of what is called "bio-availabity".

Like a guitar chord they have known profile:
Attack,
Decay ,
Sustain,
Release

This to have known values available to the site of action over a known period.

MTS1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's a bad practice crushing tablets. Some have enteric coatings to stop damage to the first part of your digestive system as well as delayed release tablets.
Why can't you put them at the back of your tongue and than swallow a glass of water?
D.
I understand but I feel I am choking everytime I take the pill

MTS1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'ts not a good idea to modify medication formats - they have been 'engineered' in terms of what is called "bio-availabity".

Like a guitar chord they have known profile:
Attack,
Decay ,
Sustain,
Release

This to have known values available to the site of action over a known period.
Plz see my reply earlier to why I can't take it

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Just out of interest, how do you manage with those medications that come in those plastic capsules?

MTS1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just out of interest, how do you manage with those medications that come in those plastic capsules?

I avoid taking them and if I can't I just take them. It always very unpleasant and I feel I am dying

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I used to be the same but am now ok. Can you practise using tic tac sweets or something similar? Most doctors would say it is all in the mind unless you are struggling to swallow everyday food. Just use a small amount of water and drink normally and not a huge gulp.

MTS1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I used to be the same but am now ok. Can you practise using tic tac sweets or something similar? Most doctors would say it is all in the mind unless you are struggling to swallow everyday food. Just use a small amount of water and drink normally and not a huge gulp.
Thank you sir I will try

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Plz see my reply earlier to why I can't take it

In that case I would ask the person who prescribed the medication whether there is another suitable format, or multiple pills in smaller doses.

It's possible that another 'brand / format' may have a different shape - one that you find easier - for that you need to ask a pharmacist.

It may mean not having a single dose to take all at once but multiple doses. The ordinary version of metformin - the type which someone above said might be crushed - is more immedate in its effect ( and side effects ) but shorter lasting and may need a higher dose.