Low carb beer?

domforr

Hi, sorry for the many posts, but I'm trying to address a few issues that may have been affecting my blood sugar over the past few years.

I'm not a heavy drinker by any means but if I go out with friends (every other week perhaps) I will generally have 3-4 pints of ale. At home I probably have 3-4 pints over a weekend, but other than that I tend to have most of the week alcohol free.

Does that sound like a reasonable amount, or is it again just a question of testing and seeing what raises the levels and what doesn't?

Does anyone have any recommendations for low carb beer. I've tried the Marstons low carb beer and it was just okay. I could drink it but perhaps there are better options.

This looks interesting (although expensive): https://www.amazon.co.uk/K1-SUGAR-F...&qid=1524037031&sr=8-4&keywords=low+carb+beer

I'm a bit reluctant to completely ditch something that I enjoy on occasion, so hopefully there's some middle ground option.

Thanks,

Dominic

Reactions: tyedean

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a pint of "real ale" type beer most weekdays but I am strict about only having one. That's about 15g of carbs, 4 pints would be 60g which is most of my daily carb limit. At weekends I have red wine or spirits. Most of the low carb beers are lager type, which I don't really like enough to bother.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hopefully there's some middle ground option.
My first thought when I was diagnosed was Pills there advertising campaign when I was a kid "All of the sugar is turned to alcohol" So no sugar and more alcohol that's got to be good right.

That's not to much help as your a real ale man. :meh:

Loads of studies show that changing for beer to spirits or wine will help you lose weight. There's a reason its called a beer belly.
Is losing weight something your trying to do? ;)
:bag:

domforr

No, not really. I've never really been overweight and if anything I'm a bit skinny. I have also heard that Pils is better, but there seems to be some discussion on whether it's all pilsner or just the Holsten.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @domforr,

When I do have a beer, it is usually Bitburger Pilsener, which has 2.5g of carbs per 100 ml (so about 12g per pint), which is the lowest for regular beer I could find.

Usually, I go for very dry red wine, though.

domforr

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm getting a general idea of what to avoid - not necessarily what I wanted to hear but such is life:)

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, not really. I've never really been overweight and if anything I'm a bit skinny.
Ok so weight is not an issue, so the only question would be how much it raises you blood sugars and whether or not this is bad for you. (Your avatar doesn't say not trying to try.)

I would get a meter and check at home to see if it causes a significant spike in blood sugars, if the answer is no then nothing to worry about. ;)
:bag:

domforr

Good thinking. I'll try that out and see how things go. Also ordered the low carb Cisk beer to try - 1.5 carbs per 100ml which is pretty good I think.

CL_in_NZ

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Test! I love good hoppy high carb IPAs! I gave them up when I went really low carb. After about 9 months I have been testing and eating things I had given up to see what they do to me. I already knew low carb alcohol dropped my BG. Now it looks like good beer only does a very mild increase to me. I had a couple beers and hot chips last night and it only raised my BG by about 1 point. Nice to know when I go out I can still have beer on occasion. Other than that I am staying low carb.

Reactions: pjayem1964
D

Deleted member 308541

I drink XXXX Gold which is a low carb mid strength (3.5%) beer.

BHJSlbB.png

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink XXXX Gold which is a low carb mid strength (3.5%) beer.

BHJSlbB.png
Low carb and mid strength it might be, but my experience of Australian lager is that it is cold and wet but I am not sure if it counts as beer.

Reactions: andyfh
D

Deleted member 308541

Low carb and mid strength it might be, but my experience of Australian lager is that it is cold and wet but I am not sure if it counts as beer.
Think what you like mate, the only decent beer you have in the UK is Guinness, oh wait that's made in the Irish Republic. :meh:

Reactions: Peadair O Brionn

Lovejoy00

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good thinking. I'll try that out and see how things go. Also ordered the low carb Cisk beer to try - 1.5 carbs per 100ml which is pretty good I think.

Let me know what you think of the Cisk! It tasted like water to me, plus I am half Maltese and much prefer the "normal" Cisk!

In response to your original question, when I go out I have 1 or 2 beers (max) then switch to red wine and/or spirits and diet mixer. However watch out with certain mixers, they may be low calorie but not low sugar!

Last edited:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Think what you like mate, the only decent beer you have in the UK is Guinness, oh wait that's made in the Irish Republic. :meh:

Their beer is sort of OK. but a pub owner on a freezing morning when I was there would warm them up in a microwave prior to serving. The locals did not understand how we Australians like it, regardless of conditions

D

Deleted member 308541

I remember at the Monotype workers club in Surrey UK that I was a visitor at, they sold "Fosters" at room temperature. Putrid is not the word for it...

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit of a sweeping statement, there are over 2000 breweries in the UK.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Tetley's is nice .... love(d) it .... that was before I stopped drinking beer of course.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I too prefer Guiness. Worst beer anywhere in the world is Harp Lager, Foul