Best before date?

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I'm staying over at my old mums, basal time and I've left a clipped stump where the needle should be.

In a cupboard I've found some unopened 12mm tips best before Sept 98 :p so it's one of them or the one on my Humalog pen, I'm leaning towards the out of date unopened pin, what do you reckon?
There's even orange top syrynges in a stash :)

Last edited:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I'm not a doctor but if the needle is the right size and fresh,ie unopened, I think I'd rather go with a sharp one than a stump. Let us know what you do, I'm sure it'll be OK. We are after all ..... fighters and winners.

Reactions: kev-w
D

Deleted member 308541

I'm leaning towards the out of date unopened pin, what do you reckon?
Why not, you will not get food poisoning from a still sterile pin / needle / lancet.

I have a box of Multiclix lancets whose before date is 02.2019, I most probably will still be using them in 2020.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I'm staying over at my old mums, basal time and I've left a clipped stump where the needle should be.

In a cupboard I've found some unopened 12mm tips best before Sept 98 :p so it's one of them or the one on my Humalog pen, I'm leaning towards the out of date unopened pin, what do you reckon?
There's even orange top syrynges in a stash :)

I'd guess they'd be fine. There's nothing to go off surely?

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why not, you will not get food poisoning from a still sterile pin / needle / lancet.

:p that's taking a low carb diet a tad too far :) sorry!

Yeah, I used a 20 year old 12mm tip :) ironic having downsized to 4mms just a week back, I could have used the one on the other pen but didn't want to reuse a 4mm so thought I'd see if anyone screamed no in capital letters :) cheers

Last edited:

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
By heck :) I'd only had sugar 12 or 13 years when they were in date :) made me feel old!