Prediabetes Cookbook suggests using agave nectar

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I couldn't eat it, that is for sure. Nor marvellous maple syrup. Sigh.

It depends on how strict your diet is/how bad your insulin resistance is?

I have friends who are diagnosed in the lower end of prediabetes, and I would suggest to them that they use small amounts of maple syrup, agave syrup, honey, for baking for their families, and portion control themselves on it. And, of course, eat and meter. Test their carb tolerance and those kind of sweeteners that way. It might be that they can keep a steady healthy BG whilst eating small amounts of this kind of sweetener?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Prediabetes Cookbook available on the diabetes.co.uk website as a pdf suggests using agave nectar for sweetening. I thought agave nectar was not a good idea.

This link:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/is-there-such-a-thing-as-good-sugar

confirms what I thought. Any comments?

To be fair, whilst I know many joining here go pretty low carb, not all pre-diabetics need to do that to return their blood numbers to the non-diabetic ranges. For some either just cutting back a bit would be enough.

Neither diabetes, nor pre-diabetes is is a one-size fits all condition.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I think the logic lies in the amount. As agave is said to be far sweeter than table sugar then a smaller amount is needed to reach the same taste ergo fewer carbs. It might be the same principle as when we first look at seasonings or condiments, it may be that a condiment is high carb but in the amounts used per dish it makes little difference to overall carb values.