Novorapid with meals

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry typo! Bolus at noon xx

With you :). What's your I:C ratio at lunch time? Do you think it needs reducing?

DAFNE says reduce basal by at least 10% after 1 nocturnal hypo. But you might want to think about a 20% reduction depending on what your low was last night.

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With you :). What's your I:C ratio at lunch time? Do you think it needs reducing?

DAFNE says reduce basal by at least 10% after 1 nocturnal hypo. But you might want to think about a 20% reduction depending on what your low was last night.
Lunch time 1 unit for every 10 grams. Is that 10% of my total basal or 10% of that dose? (I am only on 5 units in the evening :D)

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lunch time 1 unit for every 10 grams. Is that 10% of my total basal or 10% of that dose? (I am only on 5 units in the evening :D)

Have you got a half unit pen? If you're on very low doses you should ask your DSN for a half unit pen to enable you to adjust your basal by 0.5 units.

I think I'd knock it down to 4units tonight, or take a complex carb snack before bed (toast). If 4u is too low and doesn't keep sugars in control overnight you can always knock it up to 5 after. But it's about remembering 1 nocturnal hypo is too many, they are dangerous (dead in bed syndrome) and they play havoc with blood sugar control for the next day, putting you at increased risk of hypos. You really want to avoid them.

Reactions: CranberryIce

Edge

I use the libre sensor as I like the convenience and the fact I can see my sugars levels for last 8 hours. I am a T1

Generally, sugars do rise before coming back down after meals but I agree that it’s best to have jab 10 mins before (unless sugars are already very low) One of the things I figured out with libre was that my background was actually too high and rapid ratio dose a little too low. This meant high readings after meals that dropped before next meals due to background still bring it down for next 4-5 hours. Since I corrected that, my control has been good and hypos are pretty rare, especially as I can test regularly.

Have to made sure your background is correct by having a zero carb day and seeing if your readings are constant. I just wonder if you might have same issue as I did.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: CranberryIce

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you got a half unit pen? If you're on very low doses you should ask your DSN for a half unit pen to enable you to adjust your basal by 0.5 units.

I think I'd knock it down to 4units tonight, or take a complex carb snack before bed (toast). If 4u is too low and doesn't keep sugars in control overnight you can always knock it up to 5 after. But it's about remembering 1 nocturnal hypo is too many, they are dangerous (dead in bed syndrome) and they play havoc with blood sugar control for the next day, putting you at increased risk of hypos. You really want to avoid them.

I don’t have a half unit pen for my basal
insulin but will ask. Have dropped it to 4 for this evening, so will see how I get on.

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the libre sensor as I like the convenience and the fact I can see my sugars levels for last 8 hours. I am a T1

Generally, sugars do rise before coming back down after meals but I agree that it’s best to have jab 10 mins before (unless sugars are already very low) One of the things I figured out with libre was that my background was actually too high and rapid ratio dose a little too low. This meant high readings after meals that dropped before next meals due to background still bring it down for next 4-5 hours. Since I corrected that, my control has been good and hypos are pretty rare, especially as I can test regularly.

Have to made sure your background is correct by having a zero carb day and seeing if your readings are constant. I just wonder if you might have same issue as I did.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for that. It sounds like a very similar story to mine. Always hard to tel until all the variables have been eliminated.

I guess its all down to the basal test....
In on very little carbs at the moment but will try no carb meals/day to see how I go.

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I'd knock it down to 4units tonight, or take a complex carb snack before bed (toast). If 4u is too low and doesn't keep sugars in control overnight you can always knock it up to 5 after. .

Dropping down to 4 has worked a treat- kept me steady all night :)

In regards to a half unit pen- according to my DSN for Lantus their isn’t one
available? I will do my research though..