Blood Sugar raised after brisk walk

redrickshaw

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve just come back from a walk up and down hills - a bit under 2 miles. My fasting bs before was 5.5 and now it’s 5.9mmol/l. I thought it went down after exercise.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends on how much you exerted yourself.. also those two readings are well within the margin of error of a meter so your blood could be exactly the same both times. Most find that the more exertion the higher the bloods go.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
if in the morning it could still be the dawn phenomenon doing its steady job

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve just come back from a walk up and down hills - a bit under 2 miles. My fasting bs before was 5.5 and now it’s 5.9mmol/l. I thought it went down after exercise.

I'd agree with the readings being so close that, due to meter inaccuracy, there's no knowing whether you were truly higher or lower. Also agree that in the morning, liver dumps could easily skew results.

I certainly wouldn't go off one reading to guide me as to whether walking was good or bad for my blood sugar levels. Not that that's what you are suggesting, I know!

redrickshaw

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd agree with the readings being so close that, due to meter inaccuracy, there's no knowing whether you were truly higher or lower. Also agree that in the morning, liver dumps could easily skew results.

I certainly wouldn't go off one reading to guide me as to whether walking was good or bad for my blood sugar levels. Not that that's what you are suggesting, I know!

Thanks for reply. 30 mins later its now 5.4

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for reply. 30 mins later its now 5.4

Good that it appears to be going in a direction you are happy with - mine always seems to get even lower in the hour or so after a walk.

I'd still make the same observation about accuracy however - if the difference between 5.9 and 5.4 is important to you, I think you'd need to take at least 3 readings each time and average. Even at that I wouldn't feel sure I'm getting the right picture. Sounds like a job for a continuous glucose monitor to me!

Just by way of example, recently I tried to get my bg to rock bottom. One reading said 4.2 and the next reading taken immediately afterwards was 3.7. I was happy just to call it 3.9 which I've learned from past experience is about as low as I can get without my liver pumping in some glucose in response to a tiny bit of body movement.

Reactions: redrickshaw