Type 1 and car insurance

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys. I recently passed my driving test (Im 34 so a bit behind the times lol). Ive spotted a car I like but when getting insurance quotes it asks about licence restrictions due to disability. Do we as type 1 have no restrictions or is it a 3 year restricted licence?

So confused!!

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lynz84

Congratulations!

As a T1 taking insulin, you are on a 3 year restricted license. However, insurance companies aren’t allowed to discriminate against you because of this, so do shop around if the quote seems suspiciously high. My insurance is with LV, and it didn’t make any difference - it could just be for their records.

Enjoy your new car!

Reactions: Dodo

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lynz84 ,

Congratulations on your pass..

There are a lot of factors involved regarding the cost of insuring a motor vehicle.. The engine size/type/make/model. (The dreaded postcode lottery) is it garraged overnight? Then there is your age & claims history... (This is just normal non D stuff. They base the policy on.)

A 3 year restricted licence is the maximum DVLA can give & shouldn't come into it.. Though, you must inform the insurance of these details to keep the policy valid.
Though as a new driver you may find it a little steep at the set out? (It's all about the statistics the insurers model the policy on?)

I drive a Jap import, which some insurers back away from. (Mine is done through an owner's club.) When I compare my policy with other drivers of a simalar position (not counting the D.) I found I faired reasonably well..

Beep beep! :)

Draco16

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

On the insurance comparison websites when it asks re DVLA / medical issues I always put none, as if you put yes it then says please contact insurers directly or similar and you can't get quotes (or at least that used to be the case)

However, once I have the comparison quotes, I then pick the insurer I want to go with and then phone to take out the policy and I tell them then. This way you can get comparison quotes, plus you know T1 is not influencing the price (no insurer has ever increased the price versus the website quote (with no disclosure) when I disclose on the phone).

Well done on passing your test BTW!

D

Deleted Account

I always declare that I have diabetes and 3 year license.
In the past, some insurers have ramped up the quote due to this but many do not.
I would never drive without declaring this: I wouldn’t want to give insurance companies a reason not to pay out.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I told my insurers on diagnosis. They said it would make absolutely no difference. And it hasn’t.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Well done passing the test! Hooray!
It’s mandatory to inform the DVLA if you have T1 and they’ll send forms to you that ask about medical conditions and the names of your your GP and Consultant, if you have one. Your GP will then be asked about your fitness to drive.
One of the deciding factors is your hypo awareness. Another is your eyesight.
When your 3-year licence has been issued an insurer is obliged to take the DVLA’s decision as proof that you’re fit to drive and shouldn’t make any additional charges.
I use Endsleigh. There are some cheaper companies but Endsleigh seem decent.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys. I recently passed my driving test (Im 34 so a bit behind the times lol). Ive spotted a car I like but when getting insurance quotes it asks about licence restrictions due to disability. Do we as type 1 have no restrictions or is it a 3 year restricted licence?

So confused!!

Lynz84 - I agree with the others that you have to declare your T1, or the likelyhood is you are buying zero insurance in any case. Any challenge or claim to it would be rejected by the insurance company, and could be very costly, in all manner of ways.

In terms of your premium, it is often advantageous to have more than one driver on a policy - especially if that other driver is older. My policies are always cheaper if I add my O/H, as an additional diver. We have both had many, many moons of both full driving licenses, no claims bonus, and are both well over the magic 25 years old. It just seems cheaper. His are similar. My giess is it spreads the insured risk.

What you must be clear and careful of though is that for your own car, you must be the main driver. You must not use another person to be the main driver (even though it might reduice the premium).

If you have a partner, or parent who is a driver with a full, clean license, try adding him/her to the quote and see what happens. It is also, bizarrely, often cheaper to insure fully comprehensively, rather than third party, fire and theft. It's all a game!

Good luck with the driving and enjoy your new car.

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone. Thanks so much! Definitely do not want to void any insurance by not declaring. Will hopefully get it sorted next week and have my wheels!! Beep beep!

Reactions: Jaylee