Mikeyb922

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Most of what I’m supposed to eat
hi

What are you getting as a reading before and after breakfast?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I appreciate you want to know what to aim for, but asking forum members to give this answer won't help. Everyone is different. We have different medications, different degrees of pancreatic "disturbance", differing levels of insulin resistance, and eat different breakfast foods.

A non-diabetic is normally between 4 and 5.9 on fasting
A type 2 should aim to be between 4 and 7 on fasting.

After breakfast the rise (if any) should be no more than 2mmol/l at the 2 hour mark, and preferably less.

Does that help?

Reactions: millenium

Mikeyb922

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I was 7.2 this morning then 2 hours after breakfast it was 6.8 (I had bran flakes)

Just interested to know what levels people are getting and to try and understand what is what.

I know there are different impacts on results depending on medications, diets and generally between people.

I’m trying to get on a diabetes session/ course I heard about that helps with diet planning and management of symptoms etc but there is a waiting list so until then I’m afraid there will be more daft enquiries from me

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No worries about daft questions because there aren't any.
A whole lot of us (check out the success stories thread) use a Low Carbohydrate High Fat way of eating, the famed LCHF, to bring blood sugars down assist with weight loss etc.
This usually means giving up starchy and sugary foods bread, root veg, pasta anything with sugar and breakfast cereals and eating nicer things like bacon and eggs, coffee with cream, butter as well as meats, fish, some green veg.
Have a read around nd I'll tag @daisy1 in case you haven;t seen the intro to low carb piece.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was 7.2 this morning then 2 hours after breakfast it was 6.8 (I had bran flakes)

Just interested to know what levels people are getting and to try and understand what is what.

I know there are different impacts on results depending on medications, diets and generally between people.

I’m trying to get on a diabetes session/ course I heard about that helps with diet planning and management of symptoms etc but there is a waiting list so until then I’m afraid there will be more daft enquiries from me

7.2 is not at all drastic (or unusual) and a drop after Bran Flakes is good. (and is unusual!!) Bran Flakes are full of sugar. Do have a read of the nutrition label on the box. Look for Total Carbohydrate. That will tell you how much carb is in them. It is 63% in Kelloggs. Then you have to add the milk, which is also full of sugar (lactose). So you were lucky.

PLEASE don't rely on the NHS courses to be of any help with diet. The NHS is way behind with how to control Type 2 diabetes with diet. It pushes what is known as the Eatwell Plate, which may be OK for non-diabetics but is not OK for us.

Mikeyb922

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
7.2 is not at all drastic (or unusual) and a drop after Bran Flakes is good. (and is unusual!!) Bran Flakes are full of sugar. Do have a read of the nutrition label on the box. Look for Total Carbohydrate. That will tell you how much carb is in them. It is 63% in Kelloggs. Then you have to add the milk, which is also full of sugar (lactose). So you were lucky.

PLEASE don't rely on the NHS courses to be of any help with diet. The NHS is way behind with how to control Type 2 diabetes with diet. It pushes what is known as the Eatwell Plate, which may be OK for non-diabetics but is not OK for us.
This is the issue - I have no idea currently what is good bad or indifferent.

I’m still in the early stages of understanding so basically clueless

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the issue - I have no idea currently what is good bad or indifferent.

I’m still in the early stages of understanding so basically clueless

It is a steep learning curve.

Let your meter tell you what is good, bad or indifferent, alongside a food diary. Have you started your food diary? If so, what portion of Bran Flakes did you eat, and how much milk (and which sort of milk) did you pour over it? These are the sorts of things you need to write down in your diary. It may involve some weighing at first so you know exactly how much of it you are eating. If the food is countable, such as strawberries, just count them. If it can be measured in a tablespoon, measure it. etc.

The main foods to cause us all problems are breakfast cereals of all kinds, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, fruit, pulses such as beans, anything made with flour or containing grains. That isn't to say you can never eat these things, but your meter and diary will help you with portion sizes - and it may be you have to eliminate some completely.

You are safe with all meat and fish (but not if it is coated), bacon, eggs, dairy foods, most but not all vegetables, mushrooms, and a whole host of other stuff. Basically, real foods and not processed stuff. This list of foods will give you some idea.

.https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodlist

This website is informative
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds

Mikeyb922

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I haven’t started charting what I eat as yet but I’m going to.

Bread will be the tough one but in the grand scheme of things it’s a small sacrifice to make if it makes me feel better

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Bread will be the tough one but in the grand scheme of things it’s a small sacrifice to make if it makes me feel better

It is a big sacrifice for most of us I'm sad to say. However, there are low carb breads on the market, including Burgen (most major supermarkets), Hi-Lo (Sainsburys) and Livlife (Waitrose). There are others. It is a matter of looking at the nutrition labels.

Reactions: Petaluk