My Fiasp Findings So Far...

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks so much to this forum, the posts of other Fiasp users and the poster @tim2000s and his site http://www.diabettech.com which have been so useful when starting Fiasp only 6 days ago.

I’ve switched from Humalog (novorapid not as good as Humalog for me) and I pump 640g Medtronic with sensors.

It’s reducing my postprandial highs significantly. I have an unusual history of incredibly high post-carb results and a rough road with pre-bolusing. There’s a lot of work / changes but I think it will be worth it. I’m still rising to approx 10/11 for a couple of hours but for me, this is actually VERY good.

So far, I’ve had to reduce everything quite a bit due to INCREASED sensitivity which I’ve not read about with others? Perhaps this will change...(randomly quite high today for first time?!)

Things that may be specific to me and who knows, may or may not continue are:

-Highs are coming down faster too. Wooo hooo. They don’t seem as stubborn.

-I’ll need months of figuring out new dual/square wave boluses which I only used with take-aways before. I think they might need to be used more often now. I wish there was more basic guidance out there on dual/square wave. I’ve got my percentages and timespans from trial and error.

-Due to fastness of action and my increased sensitivity, I needed to be much more vary of hypos.

-As well as reducing my ratios, sensitivity, correction and overall basal, I’ve had to make extra, specific reductions in the basal time slots. For example, more pre-wake up morning hypos.

-Interestingly, on fasting, I used to have a very stable, straight line with humalog. It could be me looking at my pump a lot more, but I think I go up 0.2mls or so then down again and so on. Weird.

I’m looking forward to learning more

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
fabulous post @London36_
so great to hear a personal story and experience with a new insulin--
do keep updating --

Reactions: London36_

M80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I find after I started using Fiasp my sensitivity increased too.I think it is because I am now better range when I take insulin and that seems to make a big difference.Also when it is too high post meal it is easy to get it down without "hanging around" for 30-40 min too high.I am really happy and encouraged because it has been a real struggle.Novorapid is what I have used for many many years and ever since we changed from the old style 2 injections per day slower insulin to the then very modern groundbreaking fast insulin (mid 90's?) it has not been good enough.(My bs) this despite putting all my effort towards it.Also the Libre helps me to judge my insulin doses now better.Really really positive to the future hbac1 now.(Type 1 since 1990 use Fiasp and Tresiba)

Reactions: kev-w and London36_

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just an update approx two months in...

•high post-prandial spikes are still a major problem for me (including some super hike spikes to 15 again) although I don’t stay as high for as long and come down quicker when corrected so I’m definitely going to persevere. My consultant has advised taking Fiasp 5-10 mins before high GI foods which I’m currently experimenting with. Feeling very hopeful.

•Despite sensitivity actually increasing for me, I’ve experienced HORRIFIC - like really horrific - resistance in relation to monthly periods. I first thought it was a random blip (didn’t quite realise it was new insulin and hormones despite changing set three times...) It dawned upon me second period around when seeing blood sugars often in the low 20s- which are very rare for me- and an change of carb ratios from 14:1 to 10:1 being necessary! Couldn’t really obtain half normal results until last day of period. Apart from pregnancy, Ive never had to change carb ratios RE these hormones/periods.

•I’ve only had one set where bolus’ stung and this could actually be where I placed the set in a too skinny area, too high up on my abdomen.

So I guess in summary, so far, for me, increased sensitivity when extra-hormones are not in situ but increased resistance when anything hormonal is happening. Fascinated (and worried) about what might happen if I were stressed with cortisol-caused resistance. I guess I will learn in time!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I'm 6 1/2 months in with Fiasp, so far so good with a few ups and down's.
The two most important things with Fiasp is to nail the basal first and always split the bolus.
After a lot of experimenting I've found splitting the bolus 80/20 for meals except for the obvious pasta meals works very well.
Also be very sure you have your duration of insulin set correctly as well.

Tabzmcfc

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi for nearly 2 weeks it felt as if Fiasp wasn't working at all (massive insulin resistance). I had terribly high BG and I slowly increased my ratios to 1:5 but I'm aware that at 54 years old it could also be due to hormones and merely coincidence that it happened exactly as I started Fiasp. Then it just started working (insulin sensitive) in that my post prandial spikes were less and also shorter in length. I use a Libre and I can see a marked improvement now so glad I persevered. Finally it's having a better effect than Humolog ever did and long may it continue.

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks so much to this forum, the posts of other Fiasp users and the poster @tim2000s and his site http://www.diabettech.com which have been so useful when starting Fiasp only 6 days ago.

I’ve switched from Humalog (novorapid not as good as Humalog for me) and I pump 640g Medtronic with sensors.

It’s reducing my postprandial highs significantly. I have an unusual history of incredibly high post-carb results and a rough road with pre-bolusing. There’s a lot of work / changes but I think it will be worth it. I’m still rising to approx 10/11 for a couple of hours but for me, this is actually VERY good.

So far, I’ve had to reduce everything quite a bit due to INCREASED sensitivity which I’ve not read about with others? Perhaps this will change...(randomly quite high today for first time?!)

Things that may be specific to me and who knows, may or may not continue are:

-Highs are coming down faster too. Wooo hooo. They don’t seem as stubborn.

-I’ll need months of figuring out new dual/square wave boluses which I only used with take-aways before. I think they might need to be used more often now. I wish there was more basic guidance out there on dual/square wave. I’ve got my percentages and timespans from trial and error.

-Due to fastness of action and my increased sensitivity, I needed to be much more vary of hypos.

-As well as reducing my ratios, sensitivity, correction and overall basal, I’ve had to make extra, specific reductions in the basal time slots. For example, more pre-wake up morning hypos.

-Interestingly, on fasting, I used to have a very stable, straight line with humalog. It could be me looking at my pump a lot more, but I think I go up 0.2mls or so then down again and so on. Weird.

I’m looking forward to learning more

I pumped Fiasp a while back. I loved it at first but soured on it as time went on, and went back to NovoRapid. You definitely need to use extended boluses more often as it peaks and wears off faster than Humalog or NovoRapid. I found it worked less consistently the more carbs I ate, that I would sometimes have unexplained highs that were difficult to bring down, and spikes after waking up and post-exercise that I didn't get with NovoRapid. I saw these a bit more when I tried Humalog too, which is supposed to have a shorter tail than NovoRapid, so I think the really short tail of Fiasp causes this when pumping it as a basal.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I pumped Fiasp a while back. I loved it at first but soured on it as time went on, and went back to NovoRapid. You definitely need to use extended boluses more often as it peaks and wears off faster than Humalog or NovoRapid. I found it worked less consistently the more carbs I ate, that I would sometimes have unexplained highs that were difficult to bring down, and spikes after waking up and post-exercise that I didn't get with NovoRapid. I saw these a bit more when I tried Humalog too, which is supposed to have a shorter tail than NovoRapid, so I think the really short tail of Fiasp causes this when pumping it as a basal.
Fiasp's duration is anything between 4 1/2 and 5 hours it peeks from 1 - 3 hours which is what catches people out. As the profile is different people do need to learn not to expect and or use it as they would novo or Humalog. I changed over from using animal insulin so to me it was a completely new learning curve........ resetting basals, sensitivity etc basically starting from scratch like a new pumper would.
Very frustrating to start with but am happy now I spend most of the time in range.

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Update...think (???) I may go back to Humalog. PMT and period resistance is horrendous and I’m regularly 20ish!!! this is despite running on 130% basal and tons of corrections. Clearly carb ratio needs to change as that’s when I get my main probs but it’s too scary for me to increase insulin THAT much (must need 3x usual amount) when I have absolutely no idea when period hormones will disappear. Too worried about severe hypos. Yesterday was last day of period (sorry if tmi!! But interested to see if others have same problems?) and I’m still so high needing more than the 130% basal I’m giving. It’s like this for sometimes over 2 weeks which makes me think the higher post prandial readings on humalog might be better for me than going through this every month. My instinct also tells me that insulin that is super resistant to my hormones can’t be better for me? Wish there was some information or guidelines on this out there...

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Soooo 5 months in and I quit Fiasp a couple of days ago. As a woman, the insulin -for me- couldn’t cope with the different hormonal states throughout the month. Basically I spent a week hypo and three weeks in the high teens and this week above my CGM capabilities. (22!) Yes, I did significantly increase but it’s too difficult a balance with hormones changing every month and patterns way too difficult to hypothesise. Seemed to increasingly become more and more resistant. My carb ratio massively increased for two - three weeks and I never managed to get enough insulin. I guess I could have continued to work on it but instinctively I really don’t like the idea of the massive resistance to hormones. I’d be concerned about being ill and stress hormones. Anyway, back on humalog and it feels like I’m starting all over again. Really do miss Fiasp on meals which was reason I started it. It was better here for me. I’m wondering if it’s totally crazy to pump humalog for my basal, maybe take for low GI low carb foods and then inject Fiasp for meals??? Not sure I have motivation to pump and inject or if there’s some weird contraindication- suspect no one has done this?