BG post excersize

kemilly3

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I'm trying really hard to exercise and diet, not just to get my blood sugar down but to get into a wedding dress in three months...

I'm really annoyed/angry/confused that spinning seems to up my BG. So I just want to check, is this actually a problem? My BG is between 6.3 and 6.7 most mornings and I checked half an hour after a 30 min spin class this morning and it was 7.4 (hadn't eaten before or after - just drinking a juice now and will measure in a couple of hours as I am not sure what juicing does for me!). Surely I am doing more good than not so just keep at it? I'm assuming that 7.4 isn't actually terrible...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Check it after the juice if you want to see bad...:)
Strenuous exercise is well known for pushing up blood sugar levels as your body is demanding more energy.
What you put in your mouth however has a far greater effect on both weight and blood sugar. Cut out carbs and your weight and blood sugar levels should drop.

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
I had this problem, but my BG went much higher after exercise, often 10.0 or 11.0 and didn't start to fall for over an hour. However, after several weeks it suddenly fell into the normal range even though I was actually exercising with greater intensity. It is definitely worth getting over these initial spikes as muscle building will help with BG control.

kemilly3

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had this problem, but my BG went much higher after exercise, often 10.0 or 11.0 and didn't start to fall for over an hour. However, after several weeks it suddenly fell into the normal range even though I was actually exercising with greater intensity. It is definitely worth getting over these initial spikes as muscle building will help with BG control.
Thanks, that's really helpful to know. Will keep at it (don't feel like I have a choice really!)

kemilly3

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Check it after the juice if you want to see bad...:)
Strenuous exercise is well known for pushing up blood sugar levels as your body is demanding more energy.
What you put in your mouth however has a far greater effect on both weight and blood sugar. Cut out carbs and your weight and blood sugar levels should drop.
Thanks! Actually, it dropped to 5.2 after 2 hours so doesn't seem to be too bad for me. Will check a couple of times to make sure but doing a 2 day juice fast before dress shopping on Friday - I don't want to but it is the ONLY thing that I know will make me drop water weight really quickly - I fully expect it to come rushing back on by Sunday but then I'll be back on normal diet). I really struggle with cutting carbs as I am veggie but have definitely been trying (although more "easy to identify carbs like bread and pasta rather than fruit & veggie based carbs).

Reactions: 3buoys

STARRYNIGHTS

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I really struggle with cutting carbs as I am veggie but have definitely been trying (although more "easy to identify carbs like bread and pasta rather than fruit & veggie based carbs).

I followed Dr McDougalls recommendations, which is WFPB NO (whole food plant based / no oil) and got my hba1c down to 35, from 42 by the next test.

It's quite different from what alot do on here, but it does work.
I joined the McDougall friends facebook group, as there are others on there who are well now, and follow this way of eating.

my average fasting reading in the mornings now, is 4.9, with the odd one down at 4.4 and 3 readings in the the 6's, but generally been good!