Disability discounts???

jemmaedias

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys,

Bit of a controversial topic!

I was just wondering, considering diabetes is considered a disability under the Equality Act, can we get disability discounts ie cheaper entry to attractions? If so, how can you prove that?

I’m certainly not saying that living with diabetes is comparable to some of the things other people have to live with. I was just wondering how it works.

Also, how could you prove that someone is a carer? Again, it might not feel like that’s an appropriate term, but my mum has been told re my dad’s epilepsy that she counts as a carer as she is always on the look out for a seizure. She said she was told it works the same with diabetes. I know my partner is always watching out for hypos!

I don’t mean to offend anyone. Just a wondering (mainly so I can afford to visit the zoo more!)

Thanks so much.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
As a t2 I Don, t class myself as having a disability, no idea what being t1 is like. Am very ignorant about t1
Personally I would say whatever type of diabetes people have, it's not classed as a disability.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am disabled (not related in any way to Diabetes) but I choose to pay full price just the same as any able bodied person. I pay for disabled parking in those places that charge, full price for tickets to attractions and full price on the very rare occasions that I take public transport.
My only gripe is that I pay three times the going rate for a wheelchair adapted taxi when those taxis can and do take able bodied people on journeys.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I am disabled (not related in any way to Diabetes) but I choose to pay full price just the same as any able bodied person. I pay for disabled parking in those places that charge, full price for tickets to attractions and full price on the very rare occasions that I take public transport.
My only gripe is that I pay three times the going rate for a wheelchair adapted taxi when those taxis can and do take able bodied people on journeys.
I didn't know that.
My mum get a discount from her local council for a certain amount of taxi rides but has to be the large taxi firm who have the wheelchair taxis. I think something like £3 knocked off, per journey.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I didn't know that.
My mum get a discount from her local council for a certain amount of taxi rides but has to be the large taxi firm who have the wheelchair taxis. I think something like £3 knocked off, per journey.
Different rules, different places.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think some of the theme parks allow people with T1 to go to the front of queues for rides, as to free or reduced admission fees etc for carers I have always had to prove it with showing some sort of written proof - I usually use my most recent letter from the DWP that shows my carers allowance entitlement (son with autism)

I always use any consessions as we couldn't go half the places if we didn't I can't always afford pride lol - also my son sometimes has a habit of not wanting to stay for various reasons and we have to leave as soon as we've got there!

We once drove 3 hours to a zoo he really wanted to go to, queued for over an hour, paid to get in, he went the entrance and then right back out a side gate - we saw a giraffe and an elephants butt! Lol

Reactions: Julie27318

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi guys,

I was just wondering, considering diabetes is considered a disability under the Equality Act, can we get disability discounts ie cheaper entry to attractions? If so, how can you prove that?

I’m certainly not saying that living with diabetes is comparable to some of the things other people have to live with. I was just wondering how it works.

Also, how could you prove that someone is a carer? Again, it might not feel like that’s an appropriate term, but my mum has been told re my dad’s epilepsy that she counts as a carer as she is always on the look out for a seizure. She said she was told it works the same with diabetes. I know my partner is always watching out for hypos!

I don’t mean to offend anyone. Just a wondering (mainly so I can afford to visit the zoo more!)

Thanks so much.

Best way I can see is to get a really comprehensive letter from your GP, I've just been looking at LEGOLAND as some friends want to go and I will need to potentially take my pump off. I know from last year that the lockers are often a hell of a trek from the ride so I would be without insulin for up to a couple of hours without a fast pass (and possibly more).

I wouldn't be so keen to get the letter if it was just the zoo though, have you looked for other discounts?

jemmaedias

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As a t2 I Don, t class myself as having a disability, no idea what being t1 is like. Am very ignorant about t1
Personally I would say whatever type of diabetes people have, it's not classed as a disability.

I wouldn’t consider myself disabled at all but legally diabetes is classed as a disability so that we’re protected for employment, accommodation etc.

Reactions: KidDougi

jemmaedias

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Best way I can see is to get a really comprehensive letter from your GP, I've just been looking at LEGOLAND as some friends want to go and I will need to potentially take my pump off. I know from last year that the lockers are often a hell of a trek from the ride so I would be without insulin for up to a couple of hours without a fast pass (and possibly more).

I wouldn't be so keen to get the letter if it was just the zoo though, have you looked for other discounts?

Thanks very much. I have been looking into theme parks with my pump too. Looking for a zoo membership. I study animal behaviour so I use Chester zoo regularly to study animals for my degree. However, my boyfriend likes to come with me as it’s a large zoo and I’ve had a lot of hypos from walking around. We want to get a joint membership so that we can go together (he also studies an animal science degree) but it’s quite expensive. Just wondered if we could get an adult membership and he could get a free one as a career. We’re so short on money!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi guys,

Thanks so much.

Hi, I really don't see why we would get discounts, I think the vast majority of type 1's have had hypo's and I have had type 1 for decades and have never had a discount or assistant at a theme park or an attraction, at zoo's or parks, Maybe your insulin needs adjusting to cope with hot weather and exercise, that's what i do. My daughter, now a teenager,always notices hypo's, but she is not a carer. You also say you are short of money, I am too, but that is not a reason to get discounts, probably best to save up for a special day out and enjoy it.

Reactions: Lindam9391

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Ermm its an odd one this.......
I know where you are coming from but to use diabetes to your advantage?
No not for me.
I have a free blood machine and I have jelly babies.
I've had hypos but never in my 44 years of being a type 1 have I been banjaxed into not being able to treat myself.
I hope that doesn't sound smug and I have had other complications but whilst I work and drive I carry on in my own little world......

All the best
Tony

Reactions: Lindam9391

jemmaedias

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think my question has been misunderstood. I’m not saying I need a discount more than anyone else. I’m just wondering how it works legally and within the system. I’m also not talking about one day out, I’m talking about being able to study for my degree. Also, you may not think that it makes your loved ones a carer - I didn’t - but this is what my mum has been told by a medical professional.

Reactions: Jayden2407

janeliz1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Doesn't matter whether or not you feel it is or is not a disability I don't feel I'm disabled but the equality act states that it is

Reactions: KidDougi

gillrob11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people, snobs, noisy eaters lol.
Hi guys,

Thanks so much.

gillrob11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people, snobs, noisy eaters lol.
I have T2 just diagnosed 3 months ago and other illness. I use a walking stick.

Anyway the point of my post is to let you know of my experience of cheaper tickets etc I went to our local 'Belmont' Cinema in Aberdeen and when I went to buy tickets the seller said to me is this your carer (my partner) I said not really but he said 'well he is today' I paid to get in carer was free no proof needed. The other place this happened has been at the swimming pool with my concession card again no proof needed. I know of a few places which I personally have never been to but friends have and they say they always ask for disabled and carer and take disability benefits letter as proof. I wouldn't have thought about it as I used to work and just accept the price you pay for things until an accident 3 years ago which left me with leg damage. It is worth asking as I don't think many companies advertise this on admission details/prices I was lucky that the 'Belmont' was upfront with me!!! As for T2 classed as a disability I would be unsure but just ask at venue!!! I don't think they care what your illness is as long as you have a 'carer' with you. Hope this helps.

Ps I don't grudge paying full price if I have to as I go to a lot of theatre shows across Scotland with no discounts etc and that is always fine with me. Only get one life..LIVE IT!!!! Xxx

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

smallsuzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You say you are both students...in scotland edinburgh zoo does a student concession also theres a small portion of the entry price that is a voluntry donation....try asking zoo? Or volunteering at the zoo?