Do I have diabetes or just hypochondria!?

PeekaRoo

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
So here are the stats. I’m 28, 5’7 and 55kg so BMI of 19 or 20 (pretty skinny). I have a brother with type 1 diabetes (at age 12) and an uncle with type 1 (at age 28).

I’ve had issues with my eyes for the last couple of months. My vision suddenly went blurry 2 and a half months ago - I went to the opticians and they prescribed me glasses, but my prescription was very low - +0.25 in one eye and +0.5 in the other. I asked why my vision felt so disturbed at such a low prescription and he said it was because I had an oblique astigmatism (at an angle).

Anyway my vision seemed to have got loads better and I went back last week, just because I had a free eye test voucher and I thought it would be nice to know whether or not I was going crazy. And I was right - my vision had changed, my left eye is now +0.5 and the other is +1.0! So my prescription has actually got doubly worse in two months, but the weird thing is - now I don’t need my glasses, it’s like my vision is back to normal. My astigmatism is now upright which is making my vision less disturbed.

So - back to diabetes. I remember testing my blood when my brother was first diagnosed ten years ago and it was 13.3. I definitely had a couple of other high readings since then, which would suggest I have some form of very slow onset diabetes (I didn’t realise at the time that anything over 11.1 would be classed as diabetic). Now I’m starting to wonder if these are either false memories or false readings.

I’ve just had a HbA1c done and expect the results back on Wednesday. In that time I’m going utterly crazy wondering if I am or not!

Would it be possible that the eye thing is a lenicular diabetes thing? I know that if you have glucose leak into your eye lens it can give you temporary shortsightedness (and maybe gave me a twisted astigmatism?) - which would explain why even though on paper my eyesight has got worse, it seems better to me because it is just returning to normal (if my normal is slightly longsighted?).

As for other symptoms of diabetes I really don’t know, they could all be totally psychosomatic. I drink tea all day but I wouldn’t say I feel extreme thirst, I just feel like I extremely want another cup of tea. And I do wee lots, but I drink lots of tea!? I have wee’d about 18 times today but yesterday I would say more like 8 or 9 so it’s quite varied. I don’t wee in the night but I did start to a few months ago, so I’ve just had to stop drinking before bed which is leaving me with an awfully dry mouth that wakes me up.

I’ve been eating a really low GI diet for ages because if I eat any processed foods I get the shakes massively within a few hours (I put this down to a fast metabolism) and I’ve had recurrent gynae issues that I’ve basically managed to cure by not eating or drinking anything sugary. I must have hypos because once I passed out and my bloods were measured as 2.7 by a paramedic. Several people have said they are ‘disgusted’ at the amount I eat and I never put on weight (I haven’t lost any significant weight though).

In addition I suffer from dry skin and cracked heels but they have got a bit better since I’ve been strict low GI-ing.

I know this is awful but I’m kinda hoping just to get a diagnosis of diabetes. It would be annoying to have all the symptoms and there not be anything I can do about it - and it would also mean that I’m not just going blind.

So my question is, when my HbA1c comes back completely normal, which it almost definitely will because I am the owner of the Biggest Mystery of a Body in the world, is it worth pursuing anything else?

I’ve read about LADA and MODY diabetes and I feel I could be either. If I get a blood testing monitor so I can show that I have blood glucose spikes after meals would the doctor take me seriously then?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why not first wait to see what your results are next wednesday?

Reactions: Freema

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
My advice is to continue to try to find a diagnosis for your symptoms. Ruling out a potential cause is just part of the process to get to the correct diagnosis.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If your HbA1C comes back normal, and you feel that you are left without an answer I don't see that there is anything wrong with you getting yourself a blood glucose monitor. It's not really much different to someone buying themselves something to measure blood pressure with.

It would give you a better picture of what's going on, and it's ok to do that, if you're concerned.

Reactions: PeekaRoo and Freema

Rusne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
regarding the eyes - I had similar story to yours I think. I always had very good vision and then I noticed that I canot focus my eyes to read small print, which was very weird. I went to boots, got eye test and they prescribed reading glasses to me.
Few months later I was diagnosed with T1. They brought my BG levels down very rapidly in the hospital and that resulted in very heavy temporary bluriness. Couple of weeks later my eyes went back to normal and I do not need those prescribed reading glasses anymore.
So basically my eyes got temporarily worse because of increase in BG.

Reactions: PeekaRoo and Freema

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you have retinal photography done at your eye test, or have a visual field test done? That is where they usually pick up on any eye-related diabetes issues. If they didn't mention anything then you're likely not to have any diabetes eye-related issues. Your vision would also depend on the axis of your astigmatism, which could be responsible for your blurry vision. Astigmatism doesn't just "go upright" - it's more likely your first eye test wasn't that accurate. Also, just for the record, going from 0.5 to 1.0 doesn't make your vision "doubly worse" - prescriptions go up in stages of 0.25. A change of 0.5 isn't that big, in fact most opticians wouldn't recommend a change in glasses for a change of 0.5 unless it would make a huge difference to the patient's life. (I used to work at an opticians, so I know a decent amount about this stuff! :) )

Rusne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you have retinal photography done at your eye test, or have a visual field test done? That is where they usually pick up on any eye-related diabetes issues. If they didn't mention anything then you're likely not to have any diabetes eye-related issues. Your vision would also depend on the axis of your astigmatism, which could be responsible for your blurry vision. Astigmatism doesn't just "go upright" - it's more likely your first eye test wasn't that accurate. Also, just for the record, going from 0.5 to 1.0 doesn't make your vision "doubly worse" - prescriptions go up in stages of 0.25. A change of 0.5 isn't that big, in fact most opticians wouldn't recommend a change in glasses for a change of 0.5 unless it would make a huge difference to the patient's life. (I used to work at an opticians, so I know a decent amount about this stuff! :) )
In my case I did not have diabetes eye complications. It was temporary blurrines because of sudden change in blood glucose. I am not sure if there is a test to check that?

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In my case I did not have diabetes eye complications. It was temporary blurrines because of sudden change in blood glucose. I am not sure if there is a test to check that?

No optical test as far as I'm aware, I think that would just be a standard blood test to check the glucose more than anything! Lenticular complications are possible, however it is still odd for an astigmatism to go back to normal as in OP's case (not impossible... but very unlikely)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So here are the stats. I’m 28, 5’7 and 55kg so BMI of 19 or 20 (pretty skinny). I have a brother with type 1 diabetes (at age 12) and an uncle with type 1 (at age 28).

I’ve had issues with my eyes for the last couple of months. My vision suddenly went blurry 2 and a half months ago - I went to the opticians and they prescribed me glasses, but my prescription was very low - +0.25 in one eye and +0.5 in the other. I asked why my vision felt so disturbed at such a low prescription and he said it was because I had an oblique astigmatism (at an angle).

Anyway my vision seemed to have got loads better and I went back last week, just because I had a free eye test voucher and I thought it would be nice to know whether or not I was going crazy. And I was right - my vision had changed, my left eye is now +0.5 and the other is +1.0! So my prescription has actually got doubly worse in two months, but the weird thing is - now I don’t need my glasses, it’s like my vision is back to normal. My astigmatism is now upright which is making my vision less disturbed.

So - back to diabetes. I remember testing my blood when my brother was first diagnosed ten years ago and it was 13.3. I definitely had a couple of other high readings since then, which would suggest I have some form of very slow onset diabetes (I didn’t realise at the time that anything over 11.1 would be classed as diabetic). Now I’m starting to wonder if these are either false memories or false readings.

I’ve just had a HbA1c done and expect the results back on Wednesday. In that time I’m going utterly crazy wondering if I am or not!

Would it be possible that the eye thing is a lenicular diabetes thing? I know that if you have glucose leak into your eye lens it can give you temporary shortsightedness (and maybe gave me a twisted astigmatism?) - which would explain why even though on paper my eyesight has got worse, it seems better to me because it is just returning to normal (if my normal is slightly longsighted?).

As for other symptoms of diabetes I really don’t know, they could all be totally psychosomatic. I drink tea all day but I wouldn’t say I feel extreme thirst, I just feel like I extremely want another cup of tea. And I do wee lots, but I drink lots of tea!? I have wee’d about 18 times today but yesterday I would say more like 8 or 9 so it’s quite varied. I don’t wee in the night but I did start to a few months ago, so I’ve just had to stop drinking before bed which is leaving me with an awfully dry mouth that wakes me up.

I’ve been eating a really low GI diet for ages because if I eat any processed foods I get the shakes massively within a few hours (I put this down to a fast metabolism) and I’ve had recurrent gynae issues that I’ve basically managed to cure by not eating or drinking anything sugary. I must have hypos because once I passed out and my bloods were measured as 2.7 by a paramedic. Several people have said they are ‘disgusted’ at the amount I eat and I never put on weight (I haven’t lost any significant weight though).

In addition I suffer from dry skin and cracked heels but they have got a bit better since I’ve been strict low GI-ing.

I know this is awful but I’m kinda hoping just to get a diagnosis of diabetes. It would be annoying to have all the symptoms and there not be anything I can do about it - and it would also mean that I’m not just going blind.

So my question is, when my HbA1c comes back completely normal, which it almost definitely will because I am the owner of the Biggest Mystery of a Body in the world, is it worth pursuing anything else?

I’ve read about LADA and MODY diabetes and I feel I could be either. If I get a blood testing monitor so I can show that I have blood glucose spikes after meals would the doctor take me seriously then?

Hi @PeekaRoo ,

Welcome to the forum.

We cannot diagnose you on this forum. Or neither should you take a diagnosis over the net...

Your paramedic tested "2.7." would not be due to diabetes. Diabetes causes high blood sugars. Certain medication prescribed for diabetes would, however drop it.

The higher readings? hmmmm. A few random home tests cannot determine or diagnose diabetes'..

It's good you've seen your Doc for tests. All you can do for now is wait for the result.

As an aside. Tea for me (what ever my BS.) gives me a dry mouth..? Along with tasting like liquid halitosis. (I just don't like the stuff.)

Wishing you all the best of luck with your results.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Your paramedic tested "2.7." would not be due to diabetes. Diabetes causes high blood sugars. Certain medication prescribed for diabetes would, however drop it.
Reactive hypoglycaemia? Do their blood sugars go high as well as low?

PeekaRoo

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other

Vanillapie my axis of astigmatism DEFINITELY has changed because I did a visual astigmatism test (with the lines coming out from the centre) two months ago and the only clear ones were at a 45 degree. I did one last week and they were mostly all clear but the upright ones were the clearest. I know that you would be able to see diabetic retinopathy with the imaging that they do but I don’t think that is what I have had, I think it is just a temporary effect of high glucose. I definitely shouldn’t have needed glasses at 0.25 and 0.5! Because I don’t need them now they are ‘back to normal’ at 0.5 and 1.0!

PeekaRoo

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I’m not looking for a diagnosis, I just want peoples thoughts and experiences. I believe that you can go low with a slow onset diabetes because your pancreas freaks out and can deliver too much or too little. Unless that’s not true - that’s what I’ve read but you read lots of conflicting advice.

PeekaRoo

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
regarding the eyes - I had similar story to yours I think. I always had very good vision and then I noticed that I canot focus my eyes to read small print, which was very weird. I went to boots, got eye test and they prescribed reading glasses to me.
Few months later I was diagnosed with T1. They brought my BG levels down very rapidly in the hospital and that resulted in very heavy temporary bluriness. Couple of weeks later my eyes went back to normal and I do not need those prescribed reading glasses anymore.
So basically my eyes got temporarily worse because of increase in BG.

Thank you this was helpful!

PeekaRoo

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi @PeekaRoo ,

Welcome to the forum.

We cannot diagnose you on this forum. Or neither should you take a diagnosis over the net...

The higher readings? hmmmm. A few random home tests cannot determine or diagnose diabetes'..

It's good you've seen your Doc for tests. All you can do for now is wait for the result.

As an aside. Tea for me (what ever my BS.) gives me a dry mouth..? Along with tasting like liquid halitosis. (I just don't like the stuff.)

Wishing you all the best of luck with your results.

Jaylee thank you. I’ve read that any random blood test over 11.1 would indicate diabetes. Obviously I am open to the fact that this could be a false reading which is why I’m not marching down my doctors office demanding insulin!

PeekaRoo

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
If your HbA1C comes back normal, and you feel that you are left without an answer I don't see that there is anything wrong with you getting yourself a blood glucose monitor. It's not really much different to someone buying themselves something to measure blood pressure with.

It would give you a better picture of what's going on, and it's ok to do that, if you're concerned.

Thank you Alison ☺️

Reactions: Alison54321

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @PeekaRoo

as someone above suggested, it may be worth you having a quick read up on Reactive Hypoglycaemia.
We have a subforum for those of us who experience it.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/reactive-hypoglycemia.70/
May be worth you having a rummage and seeing if any of the experiences that people have rings any bells with you.

Obviously, we can't diagnose, and sad to say that RH is tricky for docs to spot, and often mistaken for other things, but many RHers present with 'normal' HbA1cs yet experience hypos, and many of them (not all) experience hypers too.

At this stage, I would be waiting to see what the results of your blood tests are, and then depending on them, going on an info gathering phase. :)

Re the eyesight. the only time in my life that I have experience blurred vision was immediately after my last oral glucose tolerance test. Couldn't drive or read for a couple of days, because the sharp rise and then fall in blood glucose had screwed up my vision. After that, my sight went back to 20:20.

Reactions: PeekaRoo

PeekaRoo

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi and welcome @PeekaRoo

as someone above suggested, it may be worth you having a quick read up on Reactive Hypoglycaemia.
We have a subforum for those of us who experience it.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/reactive-hypoglycemia.70/
May be worth you having a rummage and seeing if any of the experiences that people have rings any bells with you.

Obviously, we can't diagnose, and sad to say that RH is tricky for docs to spot, and often mistaken for other things, but many RHers present with 'normal' HbA1cs yet experience hypos, and many of them (not all) experience hypers too.

At this stage, I would be waiting to see what the results of your blood tests are, and then depending on them, going on an info gathering phase. :)

Re the eyesight. the only time in my life that I have experience blurred vision was immediately after my last oral glucose tolerance test. Couldn't drive or read for a couple of days, because the sharp rise and then fall in blood glucose had screwed up my vision. After that, my sight went back to 20:20.

Thank you @Brunneria - I’ve just had a look at reactive Hypoglycemia and if it is true that that you can experience hypers into the teens then perhaps this would be worth investigating if my HbA1c comes back completely normal. I will keep you updated!

Reactions: Brunneria

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Vanillapie my axis of astigmatism DEFINITELY has changed because I did a visual astigmatism test (with the lines coming out from the centre) two months ago and the only clear ones were at a 45 degree. I did one last week and they were mostly all clear but the upright ones were the clearest. I know that you would be able to see diabetic retinopathy with the imaging that they do but I don’t think that is what I have had, I think it is just a temporary effect of high glucose. I definitely shouldn’t have needed glasses at 0.25 and 0.5! Because I don’t need them now they are ‘back to normal’ at 0.5 and 1.0!

My apologies, I misunderstood the prescription change - I thought 0.25 and 0.5 were the "back to normal" ones. Eyes are funny things aren't they? I hope your blood test can shed some light on the matter! :)

Reactions: PeekaRoo

PeekaRoo

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
My apologies, I misunderstood the prescription change - I thought 0.25 and 0.5 were the "back to normal" ones. Eyes are funny things aren't they? I hope your blood test can shed some light on the matter! :)
No worries! It’s a bit of a weird situation, I tried to explain it to my husband and he just looked blankly at me ha ha. Eyes are indeed funny things, I just hope mine stay as they are for a while at least!

Reactions: vanillapie