Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that (to put it politely) your GP is talking from his nether regions... :banghead: But I think that - although maybe not relevant to you - his belief may be based on what has already been mentioned regarding strong drugs, lower HbA1cs and higher risk of hypos...

But I don't see that the difference between 38 and 39 matters a jot - your HbA1c is down within normal levels, which is all that matters in the long run. IMO (from my experience as Ms Bounce-About-A-Bit) an increase in numbers need only be a concern if they showed a continuing upward trend,
bloody_bounce_avatar.png

which you can't tell from just two very close results.

Whether you eat fruit or not and whether you're happy to exclude it (and/or any other food) in your long term eating choices, is entirely up to you and not your GP.

Robbity

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
The doctor confirmed that my HBA1c has gone up from 38 to 39.

Well done on both those results, both those readings, being under 42, are in the non diabetic range. Surprised he wanted to see your readings go higher but not sure why concern about going up 1 mmol/mol (one part in a thousand) or even trying to apportion blame to eating anything, not for 1 mmol/mol anyway.

Any chemists out there, I might need correcting.

As far as blood is concerned, one mole (mol) is equal to 6.02214179 × 10 23 molecules, (23 zeroes), so a millimole (mmol) is 6.02214179 × 10 20 molecules (20 zeroes). By the way 6.02214179 X 10 to the 23 is known as Avogadro's number.

A measurement of 38 mmol/mol is 38 glycated molecules per 1,000 and that means that you have seen a rise of 1 glycated molecule per 1,000 molecules of blood. If you factor in the inaccuracy of HbA1c blood tests (https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...-red-blood-cell-age-variability-91218453.html) either one could be slightly out and hey presto you have the same number.

If I've got that wrong, I apologise unreservedly, I studied chemistry a long time ago and wasn't very clever then.

Keep up the good work,

Reactions: Prem51 and Robbity

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He became quite upset and angry and suggested that I should eat more fruits and expects my HBA1c to go up even higher between 45 to 48 which is the "normal range", according to him, for a diabetic.

Just because you're diabetic doesn't mean you have to stay in that range!:hilarious:

I guess he was worried where you were getting your vitamins and minerals from....................:sour:

Reactions: zand and dbr10

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t understand what you are talking about. Why should a T2 not have lower a1c than 50
They believe rather foolishly that you are overmedicating. That's what the nurse said to me.. she had assumed that my HbA1c of 28 was down to hypos and was most surprised when she realised I wasn't on insulin (or indeed any meds) once she looked at my prescription records. They are so unused to anyone being in control that they freak out and say completely ridiculous things rather than looking at their own stupid advice and thinking that could be at fault. Remember that if most of us had followed what our doctors said we should do our HbA1c's would probably be in the 60's or higher.
As you may be able to tell it annoys me just a little!

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They believe rather foolishly that you are overmedicating. That's what the nurse said to me.. she had assumed that my HbA1c of 28 was down to hypos and was most surprised when she realised I wasn't on insulin (or indeed any meds) once she looked at my prescription records. They are so unused to anyone being in control that they freak out and say completely ridiculous things rather than looking at their own stupid advice and thinking that could be at fault. Remember that if most of us had followed what our doctors said we should do our HbA1c's would probably be in the 60's or higher.
As you may be able to tell it annoys me just a little!
Certainly does me too.

Petaluk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just had a meeting with my GP (General Practitioner) about the results of my last blood test.

The doctor confirmed that my HBA1c has gone up from 38 to 39. This was due to the fact that he suggested way back in February to have 2-3 fruits daily in my diet.

I told him afterwards that I should now eliminate fruits in my diet to lower my HBA1c.

He became quite upset and angry and suggested that I should eat more fruits and expects my HBA1c to go up even higher between 45 to 48 which is the "normal range", according to him, for a diabetic.

I was just ABSOLUTELY HORRIFIED and I was just thinking I might as well shoot myself now and drop dead.

This has just confirmed my fears that my doctor do not necessarily understand diabetes / diabetic control to avoid horrific complications later on.

Two large-scale studies - the UK Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) and the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial (DCCT) demonstrated that improving HbA1c by 1% (or 11 mmol/mol) for people with type 1 diabetes or type 2 diabetes cuts the risk of microvascular complications by 25%.

If I were the NHS Registrar / Senior Consultant in the area, I would have sacked him straight away for giving irresponsible, careless and appalling advice!!!

I'm just going to ignore my doctor and continue doing I know what's best for my health and future.
Wow, well done with your results!

I don’t know enough about T2 yet but I’m learning from everyone on here, thank you

So now you are in remission, does that mean that if you wanted to say have a roast dinner with all the trimmings or a pizza or even go out and get drunk, that would be okay as long as it was very occasionally??!

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am beginning to think that I am lucky with my GP's laissez-faire approach (putting aside no foot check or retinopathy appointments). I've seen other members with my original hbA1c number (and lower) put straight onto metformin and/or other meds - of course they may have other conditions such as high blood pressure or cholesterol, neither of which I have - without being given the chance to try diet and exercise which I find very surprising. Do you have a DN at your practice, @NewTD2? If so, could you circumvent your GP the next time and see them? (If their advice isn't the same, that is!). No wonder you were horrified - yes, ignore him and stick to what you've been doing. Giving up the fruit might well make all the difference if you are worried by the very slight rise which, as others have said, might not be a rise at all.

Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
To add to what others have said, there is likely no difference between 38 and 39. Labs round up and down before reporting the figure. So 39 could be 38.5 and 38 could be 38.4. The rise is too negligible to be called an increase.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on, what I’d call a steady result, what’s a change of 1 between friends? My GP at my last review, after congratulating me on my low HbA1c said “but you don’t want to see it get any lower”!
I think he might be in for a shock in August, MySugr is currently predicting me at 31.7! :joyful::hilarious:

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am beginning to think that I am lucky with my GP's laissez-faire approach (putting aside no foot check or retinopathy appointments). I've seen other members with my original hbA1c number (and lower) put straight onto metformin and/or other meds - of course they may have other conditions such as high blood pressure or cholesterol, neither of which I have - without being given the chance to try diet and exercise which I find very surprising. Do you have a DN at your practice, @NewTD2? If so, could you circumvent your GP the next time and see them? (If their advice isn't the same, that is!). No wonder you were horrified - yes, ignore him and stick to what you've been doing. Giving up the fruit might well make all the difference if you are worried by the very slight rise which, as others have said, might not be a rise at all.

Thank you @Sue192

My DN is also useless I'm afraid!

Reactions: dbr10

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on, what I’d call a steady result, what’s a change of 1 between friends? My GP at my last review, after congratulating me on my low HbA1c said “but you don’t want to see it get any lower”!
I think he might be in for a shock in August, MySugr is currently predicting me at 31.7! :joyful::hilarious:

I hope your MySugr app is correct so it will be a big slap on your GP's face.

I've had enough of GPs and DNs giving appalling, irresponsible, careless advice!

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To add to what others have said, there is likely no difference between 38 and 39. Labs round up and down before reporting the figure. So 39 could be 38.5 and 38 could be 38.4. The rise is too negligible to be called an increase.

Thank you @Bluetit1802

My GP did not even congratulate me for having an excellent control.

At the end of the day, it's our responsibility to manage this condition 24/7.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope your MySugr app is correct so it will be a big slap on your GP's face.

I've had enough of GPs and DNs giving appalling, irresponsible, careless advice!

It’s not been far out so far! My GP does support my low carb eating, that’s the only silly thing he’s said! (I’ve never seen a nurse!)

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just in case newbies are reading all this, and fretting over their first appts, I want to put it out there that there are good nurses and doctors around. My nurse supports my low carb diet and has only given me sensible advice. It is luck of the draw as to what sort of HCP you get - but I really do believe that times are changing - we are seeing low carb advocated more and more in the mainstream press by professionals such as Dr Aseem Malhotra. In the meantime everyone has the right to decide on their own methods of control, so don't be intimidated by GPs/nurses who are not prepared to entertain the idea that you can control/reverse your condition with your new diet, but equally keep an open mind when visiting the doc/nurse - you may be pleasantly surprised!

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse

How accurate has ur mySugr been in the past if you don’t mind me asking. I’m due for my first 3 month a1c tomorrow morning. I’m sh*****g it a wee bit

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How accurate has ur mySugr been in the past if you don’t mind me asking. I’m due for my first 3 month a1c tomorrow morning. I’m sh*****g it a wee bit

These are the figures I’ve had so far, these have been with testing between four and seven times per day depending on what else is going on in my life (stress, illness etc...):
Sept ‘17 Lab result 36 MySugr 34.4
Dec. ‘17 Lab result 33 MySugr 33.9
Feb. ‘18 Lab result 35 MySugr 34.0

Reactions: Prem51

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
These are the figures I’ve had so far, these have been with testing between four and seven times per day depending on what else is going on in my life (stress, illness etc...):
Sept ‘17 Lab result 36 MySugr 34.4
Dec. ‘17 Lab result 33 MySugr 33.9
Feb. ‘18 Lab result 35 MySugr 34.0

Brilliant

MySugr is showing 28

That’s 7 times a day testing on average. I know I have missed a few high test results but not many

Reactions: Prem51

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Go for it! I read another post where someone was scolded for her great work on her BG, but can't remember who it was.
That was me... I was thrilled with my 43 and was told over the phone to bring it up to 50. I’m going in for my proper face to face telling off next week o_O

@NewTD2 - congrats on your epic result! We all deserve to have normal BG levels :)

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
That was me... I was thrilled with my 43 and was told over the phone to bring it up to 50. I’m going in for my proper face to face telling off next week o_O

@NewTD2 - congrats on your epic result! We all deserve to have normal BG levels :)

I'm sorry. I'm rather new here, so people tend to get muddled up in my metformined head :) Do let us know how the telling off went next week.

Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10