Type 1 and adjustments at work

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since I last posted on this thread I've had the "can I have a word" thing... Reading between the lines it looks like they are losing confidence in me.i can hardly blame them but it's exactly what I thought would happen and it is happening, and it is just utterly depressing.
Are you struggling or are they just picking up on the fact that you're having to take time out to measure BG levels, inject etc?

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Define struggling. It isn't nice?
For me struggling would mean I couldn't do my job properly because of it. "Not nice" I agree with - my bloods shot up to 14 on Tues in the office and I felt really rough, but it didn't stop me doing my job. Most of the time it's inconvenient, but shouldn't cause my employer to have ' that chat' about not coping.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Are you working mainly in the U.K.? You should be protected by the Equality Act 2010 which says that an employer must make reasonable adjustments for an employee who has a chronic condition that affects their ability to work. It’s clear that you should still be able to work and ‘reasonable’ is hard to define, but HR should take note of the Equality Act. It applies to all whose work is based in the U.K. regardless of their country of origin.
The Disability Discrimination Act might also be worth a look. Unfortunately, T1 is classed as a disability even if most of us don’t feel disabled - except when T1 tears up and hits us in the face with a wet fish, of course.
The other thing you might consider would be to ask for health-based extended leave to give you space to sort out the parts of T1 that are plaguing you. Have you worked with the firm long enough to qualify for sick leave?

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's an interesting way of describing it.
I tend to say that diabetes is covered by the disability discrimination act.
Some may say that's just syntax but I don't like to describe myself as disabled: for me, diabetes does not stop me doing what I want.
Looking at the definition of disability from the DDA: "physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day- to- day activities.": it surprises me that diabetes is covered.

Semantics.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I really don’t consider myself disabled! However, if there’s a legal reason why someone who’s been having a hard time should be protected then I’m willing to accept the rough semantic definition and retain my determination that T1 should hold people back as little as possible!
There are times when being allowed time off to go to appointments is vital for continued health.
The DDA was put together before many modern developments in treatment but it’s still in legal use.

CornishKate

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all!

I'll be starting a new job soon (in a library) and am expecting a call from occupational health later today to talk about any adjustments I might need.

Does anymore have any advice about what I should ask for? Obviously being able to check my sugars / inject when I need

Thank you!

I’m currently 7 weeks post diagnosis and due to my blurry eyes and other bits I’m still off work but returning soon. Thankfully, I have had great support so far from work. Occupational health rang me on week 3 and advised me to consider having 8 weeks off and then a month of phased return. They are going to have 3 people who can take my bm and a box with orange juice etc if I need it. All the time off for appointments etc. I work in a small office and am confident it won’t be a problem at all. Is your new employer a local authority?

Reactions: Fairygodmother

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me struggling would mean I couldn't do my job properly because of it. "Not nice" I agree with - my bloods shot up to 14 on Tues in the office and I felt really rough, but it didn't stop me doing my job. Most of the time it's inconvenient, but shouldn't cause my employer to have ' that chat' about not coping.
I can't do anything "properly," I can barely do anything at all, the answer to "what did you do today" is always "diabetes stuff," anything else happens as an after thought.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I can't do anything "properly," I can barely do anything at all, the answer to "what did you do today" is always "diabetes stuff," anything else happens as an after thought.

It sounds as if it’s completely overwhelmed you. Is there someone you work with who’s supportive, and who understands employment rules, or can mug up on them? If you’re asked to see HR again, could they go with you?