Amazing & Awesome Avocados.

• Thread starter Deleted member 308541
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 308541

Hass avo's are back in season here, two for $3.50 with a reasonable size to them.

nuiTPEW.jpg

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No Colombian avos in M&S now unfortunately, they were good. I got a large Brazilian and a Peruvian for £1.30 each, instead today. I hope they are as good as the Colombian.

Reactions: Salvia

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good news people, thanks for your comments. It seems that things in the avo world are looking up again.

The South African fuerte avos I tried recently, from Sainsbury's, were excellent. Creamy, smooth texture, couldn't detect a specific flavour (probably from years of being a smoker!) but they have been very enjoyable - and have lasted well in the fridge without over-ripening. Good value at £1.60 for two. (though in my area they can't compete with 49p each at Tesco!).

It seems that's the end of the fuerte variety - back to hass now, still South African, so we shall see whether they live up to expectations.

D

Deleted member 308541

The South African fuerte avos I tried recently, from Sainsbury's, were excellent.
I have never seen those in the shops here, I do not know if they are grown here in Australia or New Zealand at the moment.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never seen those in the shops here, I do not know if they are grown here in Australia or New Zealand at the moment.

Where I am (West Midlands) we get avos from all sorts of places, mainly African countries I think (not seen any from Ozz/NZ yet), occasionally some from South America, but they are all usually the hass variety. The fuerte ones don't appear here very often; I've only seen them once or twice before. Perhaps they normally go elsewhere and we (that is UK) only get them if there happens to be any 'spare' . I've found that the fuerte avos are much better than the hass - smoother and creamier, they have a light-green, smooth skin that is thinner than the hass, they're larger, seem to last longer and don't go off so quickly. I think I remember Kristin being able to get them often, usually from Mexico if I remember right.

D

Deleted member 308541

I think I remember Kristin being able to get them often, usually from Mexico if I remember right.
I remember @Kristin251 saying they got a lot of their avo's from south of the border.

We cannot get any foreign avo's because of our strict quarantine laws, New Zealand is allowed to export to Aus, but there apples are checked for fire blight still I think.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember @Kristin251 saying they got a lot of their avo's from south of the border.

We cannot get any foreign avo's because of our strict quarantine laws, New Zealand is allowed to export to Aus, but there apples are checked for fire blight still I think.

Kristin, yes, always so helpful and willing to share; I miss her.

As for Australia, that's interesting about your quarantine laws being so wide-ranging. Does that mean you are mainly self-sufficient for your foodstuffs? well, maybe reciprocal /share/exchanges with NZ. I knew about plants, animals and such having to be quarantined, so obviously that makes perishables a no-no. Does it apply to other items like canned or dried goods with longer shelf life?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really great discussion. Has anyone mentioned that avocados don't ripen on the tree? You have to pick them to ripen them. They will stay hard for months if left on the tree.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Really great discussion. Has anyone mentioned that avocados don't ripen on the tree? You have to pick them to ripen them. They will stay hard for months if left on the tree.

Hiya FunkyChicken2; I think I've read somewhere that avos are harvested before they are ripe, and generally ripen sufficiently for sale during transport and/or storage. Don't think I realised they wouldn't ripen if left on the tree - to be honest, I don't think I've ever thought about it before (being left on the tree to ripen, I mean).

I do know that I have on a couple of occasions bought packs of "ripen at home" avos that never ripened but just went bad after a couple of weeks - very disappointing. I think most of us have found that it can be a very delicate balancing act to get them to just the right amount of ripeness for perfect enjoyment.

D

Deleted member 308541

I do know that I have on a couple of occasions bought packs of "ripen at home" avos that never ripened but just went bad after a couple of weeks
We bought a bag of "Awkwards" that were labelled as ready to eat, two weeks later they were still rock hard' Ended up throwing them out, should have taken them back did not have the receipt.

D

Deleted member 308541

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I do not like the self serve checkouts, and will not use them unless I have to. By the colours in the store it looks like Woolworth's, they have been losing a fair bit to the bogans here in Bundy.
UK Woolworths went into liquidation a couple of years ago. That picture and the report is from ASDA, a big supermarket chain here.
I got a couple of 'Perfectly Ripe' Peruvian avocados from Waitrose yesterday, the price remains at £2. I prefer the Peruvian avos from Waitrose or M&S.

D

Deleted member 308541

UK Woolworths went into liquidation a couple of years ago.
It's a different company as it was a Australian / NZ owned, but now owned by a South African store group.

The green is similar to ours at Woolies.

2c48c1fc-8679-448a-b758-0632dedc1b23.jpg

D

Deleted member 308541

Hass avo's were cheap again yesterday, and a good size as well.

Near enough ready to eat by the feel of them.

D

Deleted member 308541

The Bundaberg Fruitand Veggie growers have put out a promotional video, showcasing the areas produce on offer in the region.

You will drool over the Avo's and Macadamias.