Hypo!!

smudge75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've done so well in losing 3 stone on the Newcastle diet and have moved over to the lchf diet and I'm doing ok . Only problem I'm having is low blood glucose levels I have had a few hypos not sure if this is normal my bloods are crashing to 3.3 and causing me to become very ill. I was trying to do a little walking exercise today and I ended up with cold sweat and dizzy and my whole body started shaking . I had to have some boiled sweets to bring my levels up. I'm going to see my doctor but want to know is this something that normally happens when people change diets?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I've done so well in losing 3 stone on the Newcastle diet and have moved over to the lchf diet and I'm doing ok . Only problem I'm having is low blood glucose levels I have had a few hypos not sure if this is normal my bloods are crashing to 3.3 and causing me to become very ill. I was trying to do a little walking exercise today and I ended up with cold sweat and dizzy and my whole body started shaking . I had to have some boiled sweets to bring my levels up. I'm going to see my doctor but want to know is this something that normally happens when people change diets?

What medication are you on?

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Glad the boiled sweets help you treat hypos but maybe 6 jellybeans would be better because they get sugar into your system faster? I'd have thought since a boiled sweet dissolves slowly it's not ideal for this purpose. But, I'm just starting out on insulin and haven't had a real hypo yet, only false hypos when I was low carbing.

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i also lost about the same as you following the same diet starting in march this year ..before i was diagnosed i had started a bit of a crash diet homemade veg soup and fruit etc.30th january i had to leave work and go to bed i guess this was a hypo symtoms sound the same. i was on blood sugar diet for several weeks after diagnosed and diabetic nurse kept warning my readings were too low.. in the high fours and a few three point nines she warned me low b.s and to up my carbs i didnt want to do more carbs because the weight was falling off.. i did heed her warning and eat breakfast and small snacks say at eleven oneish threeish sixish and before bed. weight loss has stopped unfortualy but ive kept the same weight for a couple of months now and blood sugars are mainly between 4.8 and 7.0 ..had a small hypo dont know what the reading was took four glucose tablets and ten minutes later i was fine..i still want to lose another two stone maybe the newcastle diet is not for everyone? its not supposed to be a long term diet but it certainly teaches you to eat less and more sensibly