Pain every morning in liver area...Don't know what's causing it...

sunlover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling cold...which is hard as i live in Scotland!
Since taking ibs meds mine has gone. Have you ibs?
Not that I know off. Inflamed stomach lining and testing for ulcer.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Not that I know off. Inflamed stomach lining and testing for ulcer.
An inflamed stomach lining on its own would be enough to explain this pain, IMO. Sorry I missed reading that earlier.

In my experience, pain in the chest and abdomen is notoriously hard to pin down if there are no other clear signs of where it's coming from. I think stomach pain can easily be referred to the right upper quadrant/liver area. It's only a few centimetres away.

Where testing has found inflammation in the stomach but no identifiable infection, it's hard for doctors to estimate how long it will take to settle. Post-illness symptoms can linger on. They also often don't know what caused it.

How are you doing now? Has it improved at all or is it about the same?

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Hi again @sunlover, if you don't mind, could you please tell me what medications they gave you after they found stomach lining inflammation on endoscopy? I know someone who had the same condition and they were given a high dose PPI (proton pump inhibitor, ie omeprazole). Do you have pain meds at home that are doing enough for you? Do you have any nausea? (which often goes hand in hand with these issues).

If your pain is worse at night, you may need to try to sleep with the head of your bed raised up a few inches. This was a godsend for me. I used some pieces of firewood I had that were cut from 6x2 inch construction timber, stacked 3 high under each leg at the head of the bed. You do tend to slide down the bed a bit by morning but at least you get some sleep. My doctor warned against using lots of pillows instead, because it makes you scrunch in the middle, when lying flat, on an angle is better.

If you have sudden severe pain, please promise me you will call an ambulance, won't you?

reema2421

Hi everyone,

For about the last 2 years I have been experiencing pain in my liver area every morning and sometimes in the evening. The pain begins slowly but eventually it goes from
being slightly uncomfortable to completely unbearable where I start to gasp for air! The pain begins in the liver area and spreads to below my left rib cage.

Originally I thought it was caused because of gallstones (I had my gallbladder removed) but the pain eveyday has continued.

The only thing that makes the pain go away is if I drink at least a litre of water and eat food.

Anyone know what is causing the pain?
I have been for liver tests and the doctors say my liver is fine.

Hi,
I created this account just to follow th is post. My husband has similar issue from 1.6yrs. He gets pain/burning sensation early in the morning as soon as he open his eyes. But when he gets up from bed does his morning chores the pain goes. We visited many doctors and had many tests (starting with X-ray, blood tests, ultrasound, MRI, endoscopy) All the tests results were normal. Nothing abnormal was seen. The doctors then suggested for Laparoscopy and then biopsy, if nothing is found by laparoscopy.
Meanwhile we visited an Ayurvedic doctor (people told they good results from him) He asked few questions and then make him stopped eating few foods (like non-vegetarian, eggs, All types of pulses, vegetables that causes bloating) and that magically stopped the pain. He is taking the Ayurvedic medicine but gets pain sometimes if he eats food that causes bloating. The doctor does not tell much but he says this is related to Colon.

Please suggest me if any of you gets relief from anyway. Also try to avoid bloating food and check if that helps.

Reactions: zand

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi,
I created this account just to follow th is post. My husband has similar issue from 1.6yrs. He gets pain/burning sensation early in the morning as soon as he open his eyes. But when he gets up from bed does his morning chores the pain goes. We visited many doctors and had many tests (starting with X-ray, blood tests, ultrasound, MRI, endoscopy) All the tests results were normal. Nothing abnormal was seen. The doctors then suggested for Laparoscopy and then biopsy, if nothing is found by laparoscopy.
Meanwhile we visited an Ayurvedic doctor (people told they good results from him) He asked few questions and then make him stopped eating few foods (like non-vegetarian, eggs, All types of pulses, vegetables that causes bloating) and that magically stopped the pain. He is taking the Ayurvedic medicine but gets pain sometimes if he eats food that causes bloating. The doctor does not tell much but he says this is related to Colon.

Please suggest me if any of you gets relief from anyway. Also try to avoid bloating food and check if that helps.
Mebeverine tablet has really helped my cramps and spasms. I have returned on metformin so still have the morning loose tummy then after mebeverine it settles down. IBS was diagnosed and after antibiotics for stomach/intestine infection my right side pain has been relieved (other than metformin flare ups).
Yes yeast or white carbs bloat me out, in fact most foods do. Even almonds. I'm constantly with a water bed tummy which isn't pitting.
Breathlessness comes with Bloating, off and on but diagnosed with Asthma recently. I was diagnosed with iron deficiency and put on 210mg of ferrate. Going to see gp today as symptoms of extreme tiredness has returned. I think morning upset tum is flushing out some of my needed nutrients. Including iron. Maybe my b12 needs checking due to Metformin?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi again @sunlover, if you don't mind, could you please tell me what medications they gave you after they found stomach lining inflammation on endoscopy? I know someone who had the same condition and they were given a high dose PPI (proton pump inhibitor, ie omeprazole). Do you have pain meds at home that are doing enough for you? Do you have any nausea? (which often goes hand in hand with these issues).

If your pain is worse at night, you may need to try to sleep with the head of your bed raised up a few inches. This was a godsend for me. I used some pieces of firewood I had that were cut from 6x2 inch construction timber, stacked 3 high under each leg at the head of the bed. You do tend to slide down the bed a bit by morning but at least you get some sleep. My doctor warned against using lots of pillows instead, because it makes you scrunch in the middle, when lying flat, on an angle is better.

If you have sudden severe pain, please promise me you will call an ambulance, won't you?
I'm on lansoprozol which can cause iron deficiency. :(

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think you might be onto something here. I have had IBS for decades and at times I've had pain like the OP's.

In my case, the pain was coming from the bowel, which does sit quite high in the abdomen at each side. Sometimes my lower ribs on one side are sore and I'm pretty sure it's referred pain from the bowel.

Bowel pain is very easily referred to other areas, making diagnosis even harder. It can literally refer to the opposite side of the abdomen, or even into the upper back, chest, or one or both legs.

The first thing a doctor usually asks if he or she thinks it might be IBS is what your bowel habits are like.

There are several different types of IBS, too.

Ideally, I think an upper and lower endoscopy should be offered, to rule out other problems. There are other less invasive tests they can do too, such as x-rays and ultrasound.
I'm meeting my bariatric surgeon for first time tomorrow. He does upper endoscopy as due course but I will ask for lower too due to any scar tissue from open surgery for burst appendix decades ago.
I hope I don't forget as I might not see much of him.

Dj29067

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone,

For about the last 2 years I have been experiencing pain in my liver area every morning and sometimes in the evening. The pain begins slowly but eventually it goes from
being slightly uncomfortable to completely unbearable where I start to gasp for air! The pain begins in the liver area and spreads to below my left rib cage.

Originally I thought it was caused because of gallstones (I had my gallbladder removed) but the pain eveyday has continued.

The only thing that makes the pain go away is if I drink at least a litre of water and eat food.

Anyone know what is causing the pain?
I have been for liver tests and the doctors say my liver is fine.
I have had the same problem and now they want me to lose weight or have a biopsy as my scan was high and my enzymes high.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I have come to the conclusion that I have a fatty liver, but I don't understand why the pain episodes have not ceased in their frequency seeing as I have a vastly better diet now...

Maybe the pain is caused by the sugar levels in my blood. Because for the past few
months I can't eat anything that's high in carbs otherwise I get really dizzy.
From looking at anatomy pictures and reading about the liver, your doctor has to do a number of tests to be able to diagnose 'fatty liver' and to eliminate a number of causes of it. So you would need to check with him/her.
Are you saying that the pain starts on your right side under the middle of the your ribs and then goes across to your left side (and ? where)? And does the pain ease straight after eating or some time later ?

Rachlou12

It's probably because your body can't digest fatty foods still. It is your either lucky or not because I know people who have had it removed but are still no better I had mine of 6 weeks ago. I get lots of acid and main in my chest still but what they do tell you is of the symptoms don't go away. Within s year it's not going to go away I was shocked at how many forums or how many people still suffer after removal I know people who have had further operations because of bile leakage it's a vicious circle I think. I'm.glad I had mine out cause the pain was unbearable I ain't had an infection since it was removed and no gallstones tracks xx