Levothyroxine Raises Blood Sugars

Kittylitter

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found this printed on the insert of my Levothyroxine - does anyone have any experience please?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found this printed on the insert of my Levothyroxine - does anyone have any experience please?

I believe there are several members who are also diagnosed with hypothyroidism, so there are likely many other users of Levothyroxine around who may have views.

I have only had one marginally hypothyroid TSH test, but am trialling Levothyroxine to try to alleviate some uncomfortable symptoms. I haven't noticed anything particularly different in my blood scores, but my trial was started at 25 microgrammes, titrated to still only 50microgrammes a day. I inderstand from others with hypothyroidism that the dose I am taking is teenie, tiny.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
No increase to my bgs.
The thing to remember is why your taking levothyroxine?
Also the rules of 4-5hrs between supplements and always on an empty stomach.

My thyroid works better on the right diet and I must avoid soy/soya products and certain veg unless very well cooked, such as cauliflower, cabbage, garden cress, bok choy, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and similar green leaf vegetables. Ironically that supply iron too. So I've had to suppliment it.
Since avoiding these foods I had no pulling in my neck on my right side. So a success, I feel.

There is no sugar coating on levothyroxine tablets but always check incase lactose is added.

Diet to improve thyroid health is same for healthy bgs so your metabolism rate may improve and you could need less insulin.
Not more. So in theory lower bgs not higher, unless lactose is added to your manufactured version of levothyroxine. :)

Type1s may get rebounding bgs from a change in their metabolism so insulin may need altering.

Last edited:

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on 50mg of Levothyroxine (diagnosed 2014) and my hba1c has been between 35 and 37 for the last 4 years so I’ve no5 had any issues. My issue was with statins which, as well as giving other side effects, increased my hba1c from 48 to 54 hence why I don’t take them anymore

Reactions: Freema

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I take levothyroxine too. I don't know if it affects my bs, as various other factors contributed to my T2 diagnosis, including statins. I stopped the statins but don't really have any choice about the levothyroxine as I felt really tired all the time before I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, and they have helped with that.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
In fact most people take a little more than needed levothyroxine as they feel well or better to compete their day.
Info leaflet normally says the same, or used to.
I've taken mine for 25yrs and I've had some superb hba1c.

Let's put it this way, without it my energy goes to zero. I don't even get energy to dress.
I have forgotten tablet once in a while and feel its downfall days later, not immediately. It does take a few weeks to settle your system. It may even need tweeking after 3 months.

For me, my bgs would be higher without it due to lack of exercise.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've just remembered one thing about underactive thyroid is that it adds weight. So the underactive thyroid itself is prone to higher bgs but not levothyroxine... Well, for me.
Hence how important it is to get the right amount for your body.

Reactions: Freema

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Sorry, found what? I can't see anything and am interested as I've got a lazy thyroid and have to take Levothyroxine.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry, found what? I can't see anything and am interested as I've got a lazy thyroid and have to take Levothyroxine.
I take actavis levothyroxine tablets. The enclosed leaflet does say:

Check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking Levothyroxine tablets if you:
*have suffered from an under active thyroid gland for a long time.
*suffer from heart problems including angina, coronary artery disease or high blood pressure.
*are being treated for diabetes. The dose of your anti-diabetic medicine may need to be changed as levothyroxine can raise blood sugar levels.

I
ts under Section 2: Before you take.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kittylitter - Are you looking at the Wockhardt Patient Information Leaflet?

I can see in the list of "Interaction with other medicinal products and other forms of interaction", it talks about elevated blood sugars, but my interpretation is like any other potential outcome when taking any drug; it will happen to some people. It might even happen to quite a few people, but there are also those for whom there will be zero effect.

Last edited:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I take actavis levothyroxine tablets. The enclosed leaflet does say:

Check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking Levothyroxine tablets if you:
*have suffered from an under active thyroid gland for a long time.
*suffer from heart problems including angina, coronary artery disease or high blood pressure.
*are being treated for diabetes. The dose of your anti-diabetic medicine may need to be changed as levothyroxine can raise blood sugar levels.

I
ts under Section 2: Before you take.
Thanks @Prem51 I'll see if it's the same on mine

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I would have thought that a GP prescribing levothyroxine to a diabetic patient would know that the patient is diabetic and how it might affect their blood sugars.

Kittylitter

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kittylitter - Are you looking at the Wockhardt Patient Information Leaflet?

I can see in the list of "Interaction with other medicinal products and other forms of interaction", it talks about elevated blood sugars, but my interrrpretation is like any other potential outcome when taking any drug; it will happen to some people. It might even happen to quite a few people, but there are also those for whom therre will be zero effect.
Mine is the Mercury Pharma leaflet, and yes it will be like any other - it will be for some people only.

Kittylitter

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just remembered one thing about underactive thyroid is that it adds weight. So the underactive thyroid itself is prone to higher bgs but not levothyroxine... Well, for me.
Hence how important it is to get the right amount for your body.
I am learning a lot about thyroid now, as have been over to health unlocked re thyroid, and it does seem a lot of people need to be on a lot higher dose than what the TSH levels state on blood tests.

Kittylitter

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe there are several members who are also diagnosed with hypothyroidism, so there are likely many other users of Levothyroxine around who may have views.

I have only had one marginally hypothyroid TSH test, but am trialling Levothyroxine to try to alleviate some uncomfortable symptoms. I haven't noticed anything particularly different in my blood scores, but my trial was started at 25 microgrammes, titrated to still only 50microgrammes a day. I inderstand from others with hypothyroidism that the dose I am taking is teenie, tiny.
According to a forum I am looking at, 50% of patients don't feel well enough on Levothyroxine, even with tsh in range.

Reactions: Hope48

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My endo has given me a reduced 175mg after chest pains and severe palpitations. On odd days I'm tired... Still. But could be my iron levels again or from odd high bg or stress of family life.
Only blood tests can tell you how things are. Every thyroid book I've read in my 25yrs of being an underactive sufferer all states patients feel better on a higher dose than GPs suggest.
Ive added weight by adding more medications to help with pain and balance. So I need more thyroxine. So I've taken 25mg more than last suggested. Until I can lose again. Betablockers add weight on me too so them being doubled didn't help my weight losing months.

Kittylitter

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My endo has given me a reduced 175mg after chest pains and severe palpitations. On odd days I'm tired... Still. But could be my iron levels again or from odd high bg or stress of family life.
Only blood tests can tell you how things are. Every thyroid book I've read in my 25yrs of being an underactive sufferer all states patients feel better on a higher dose than GPs suggest.
Ive added weight by adding more medications to help with pain and balance. So I need more thyroxine. So I've taken 25mg more than last suggested. Until I can lose again. Betablockers add weight on me too so them being doubled didn't help my weight losing months.
They do say that Hypo weight will not go until it is properly treated, with optimal thyroid hormones and this may not be Levothyroxine only - you probably know all this already, and hypothyroid patients have a different type of weight to do with muncin? This wont come off with diet/exercise and fasting makes it worse - a lot of doctors dont know how to measure thyroid hormones let alone test for free t4 free t3 etc and know ranges etc - I am waiting to have a private blood test next week and have ordered some t3 - which doctors hate - but what is the alternative? stay in bed for life.

Kittylitter

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They also say that all the ferritin and b12 vit d3 has to be high to help convert thyroid hormones, and cortisol addrenals etc are also involved, it is a very complex subject.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
They also say that all the ferritin and b12 vit d3 has to be high to help convert thyroid hormones, and cortisol addrenals etc are also involved, it is a very complex subject.
So eating well will help with those 3 to some degree. Sun expose for vitd3 more so.
Even none underactive thyroid sufferers need a good diet filled with iron filled meat, veg, fish and eggs. Staples. Carbs are just fillers. Fillers many can do without.