Patient's Choice Award: Low-Carb Nurse Advocate Nominated!

CassellCath

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Done! Although my DN and GP are very supportive of my low carb approach, neither are pro-active and in fact would only suggest low carb to patients who they feel were able to "stick" to the regime. Maybe that's the next step, telling everyone. I think I'll print off the Diabetes Times article and give it to them the next time I see either of them.
Thank you!

CassellCath

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @CassellCath - just wanted to say bravo for all you are doing to help diabetic folk and the support you are giving to low carb is fantastic. My own nurse is also supportive of what I've done with low carb in just a few months and when your HCP is supportive it makes such a difference. :) PS voted for you when @Sue192 mentioned you were shortlisted!
Thank you! I’m really pleased that your nurse is supportive of LCHF too! I’m so pleased that I came across it 15 months ago as it’s changed my life and a lot of my patients! A patient bought me the 8 week blood sugar book and that was it, overnight change quite literally and never looked back!

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you! I’m really pleased that your nurse is supportive of LCHF too! I’m so pleased that I came across it 15 months ago as it’s changed my life and a lot of my patients! A patient bought me the 8 week blood sugar book and that was it, overnight change quite literally and never looked back!
Yes the Blood Sugar Diet book is great - I kick started everything off with that and then moved onto just LCHF and have lost 30 pounds and gone from HbA1c of 72 to 42. It's great to hear so many of your patients are benefiting from it.

Reactions: Biggles2

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Thank you!

You're welcome. I'd actually be interested in how you persuade patients who are, shall we say, less than happy about low carb. There will be a lot of forum members who will know someone who is less than enthusiastic and just "keep taking the tablets". Good Luck!

CassellCath

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You're welcome. I'd actually be interested in how you persuade patients who are, shall we say, less than happy about low carb. There will be a lot of forum members who will know someone who is less than enthusiastic and just "keep taking the tablets". Good Luck!
Hi. Yes you’re quite right not everyone is keen and everyone has totally different needs and their circumstances are all different. I wouldn’t force anyone to do anything they’re not happy with. Some patients completely go low carb and others reduce their carbs enough to make a difference; it may be giving up bread or eating way less or perhaps eating a lot less potatoes. Some just giving up all the rubbish (cakes, biscuits, sweets, choc, fizzy pop) is enough to make a huge difference. Other people just would rather continue to take their tablets and insulin and that’s their choice. For some it’s just easier as they have a whole host of stuff going on and thinking about their diet or cooking real food just can’t be done. Any small steps can help. I individualise my care and give as much support as I can. I also include other lifestyle advice/support with sleep, reducing stress and exercise.

CassellCath

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you everyone! Fingers crossed! Thanks so much for all your support, kind words and off course votes! xx

Reactions: ickihun

CassellCath

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you that’s so kind! It would be so great to win it for all the low carb community especially as the tide seems to be turning now! I’ve been invited by David Unwin to speak in Parliament on 27th June! We will be discussing type 2 diabetes remission and how there is hope! I’m so excited and so honoured to be asked to speak! Watch this space!

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you that’s so kind! It would be so great to win it for all the low carb community especially as the tide seems to be turning now! I’ve been invited by David Unwin to speak in Parliament on 27th June! We will be discussing type 2 diabetes remission and how there is hope! I’m so excited and so honoured to be asked to speak! Watch this space!
Great. Good luck. I've asked my MP to attend, though he'll probably have a subsequent engagement

Reactions: CassellCath

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reactions: dbr10