Basal Rate Increments

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Currently on a saline trial with the OmniPod as need to switch from my animas vibe.
One of the issues I have noted during this trial is the basal rate increments are larger compared to the animas and so I cannot fine tune my basal rate to the same extent as the animas.
Example;
On animas I have a basal of 1.025u/hr for 3 hours in the morning. Options are either 1.0 or 1.05 on the OmniPod.
This may be a minor thing but I’m worried that this change will detriment my control, or is it just a case of tweaking basal segments?
Does anyone have experience of this kind of change? How does it affect your BGs? Can I still expect the same degree of control?
Thanks in advance
Nikki

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Currently on a saline trial with the OmniPod as need to switch from my animas vibe.
One of the issues I have noted during this trial is the basal rate increments are larger compared to the animas and so I cannot fine tune my basal rate to the same extent as the animas.
Example;
On animas I have a basal of 1.025u/hr for 3 hours in the morning. Options are either 1.0 or 1.05 on the OmniPod.
This may be a minor thing but I’m worried that this change will detriment my control, or is it just a case of tweaking basal segments?
Does anyone have experience of this kind of change? How does it affect your BGs? Can I still expect the same degree of control?
Thanks in advance
Nikki
Though OmniPod is 0.025u/hr less accurate than animas; as its for your basal adjustment it doesnt really mean much change in practical life. A minor variation in your activity- or stress- levels on that day or before will have a bigger impact. But if you insist to maintain more or less the same absolute insulin volume regime on the Omnipod, then you could just cut the time period into two instead, e.g. with 1.05u/hr for the first hour and then 1.00u/hr for the next two hours. The options are endless for getting it right and the 0.05u/hr accuracy level should be more than sufficient for adults/young with a body weight of more than 30 kilos or so..

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Though OmniPod is 0.025u/hr less accurate than animas; as its for your basal adjustment it doesnt really mean much change in practical life. A minor variation in your activity- or stress- levels on that day or before will have a bigger impact. But if you insist to maintain more or less the same absolute insulin volume regime on the Omnipod, then you could just cut the time period into two instead, e.g. with 1.05u/hr for the first hour and then 1.00u/hr for the next two hours. The options are endless for getting it right and the 0.05u/hr accuracy level should be more than sufficient for adults/young with a body weight of more than 30 kilos or so..

Amazing! Thanks for your advice
Glad to see that it’s not an issue as really liked the pod from the trial!

Reactions: Celsus