Blood Glucose, Mood, Behaviour. Oh My!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I know I can become irritable, snappy, tired and not so good to know when BG gets high (curses!), and if it’s low I can be garrulous, daft, inappropriate, embarrassing . . .
Yup, I correct it. The BG, that is.
I can remember some really awkward hypos, like the one where all the strangers left the cafe table as they thought they’d been joined by an early-morning drunkard, not knowing it was just little me needing to scoff some carb and a little hypo-unsteady on my feet.
I can also remember the one when paramedics were called to work. It was a few years ago. I knew that it was firemen who’d done a naked poses calendar. But I was hypo, mixed up. I asked which ones of them it was had posed and said how good they’d all looked.
Luckily everyone was amused. And my colleagues knew me well. They just weren’t sure how straight they had to keep their faces.
I can remember really really well the times I’ve opened my mouth and such truly inappropriate sentiments emerged, things that surprise me, that aren’t what ‘sane’ me thinks, that I still cringe at the recollection. These are the worst!
Sometimes I worry that people see me at these times and make a lasting judgement.
How do we deal with this effect of this glorious condition?
How do you deal with it?
I use humour, I have to laugh at myself and the situation.

Reactions: karen8967

KateMeg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know I can become irritable, snappy, tired and not so good to know when BG gets high (curses!), and if it’s low I can be garrulous, daft, inappropriate, embarrassing . . .
Yup, I correct it. The BG, that is.
I can remember some really awkward hypos, like the one where all the strangers left the cafe table as they thought they’d been joined by an early-morning drunkard, not knowing it was just little me needing to scoff some carb and a little hypo-unsteady on my feet.
I can also remember the one when paramedics were called to work. It was a few years ago. I knew that it was firemen who’d done a naked poses calendar. But I was hypo, mixed up. I asked which ones of them it was had posed and said how good they’d all looked.
Luckily everyone was amused. And my colleagues knew me well. They just weren’t sure how straight they had to keep their faces.
I can remember really really well the times I’ve opened my mouth and such truly inappropriate sentiments emerged, things that surprise me, that aren’t what ‘sane’ me thinks, that I still cringe at the recollection. These are the worst!
Sometimes I worry that people see me at these times and make a lasting judgement.
How do we deal with this effect of this glorious condition?
How do you deal with it?
I use humour, I have to laugh at myself and the situation.
Oh gosh, I know all of those feelings. The worst is that they can't easily be explained away! If you meet someone for the first time whilst drunk and make a terrible impression it can easily be explained away, and you can attempt to salvage things. But if they same happens whilst hypo it simply can't be explained in the same way.

When I get grouchy when high, I never really know if that's me grumpy and guilty because I've let myself become that way, frustrated because my best attempts aren't working or just as a side effect of too much sugar in the blood. Probably a combination of all three. I do feel awful form my boyfriend in this situation - he's usually the one who suffers the consequences!

13 years on and I'm still not quite sure how best to deal :/

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
And it just doesn’t disappear, however tight we think we’re holding our BG together. 48 years with it now and it was understandable in the early years. But now? With so much more tech at our fingertips, and on our arms? It still happens from time to time!
I know I’ve questioned which one the ‘real me’ is too, you’re definitely not alone in that!